UMC-1 good price?

ajoker2c

I have never heard the UMC (I have other EMO stuff, amps, DAC). I have been sorta afraid from what I read. If the upgrade card comes with it, I'd take a chance at that price. Bad = buy XMC using card; good = sell upgrade card and have free UMC

• Moderators

The UMC-1 is a touchy subject.

I only experienced a few minor bugs, nothing that would make the UMC-1 a dealbreaker. But I do not have cablebox that caused a lot of the center channel dropouts and other issues. I have the next to the last FW update installed. Was going to wait awhile before attempting to update to the final FW version. I haven't been over to the Emo forums to read the latest on that version.

I agree with Fish that it sounds really great for 2ch listening but to me it's also great for movies as well. There are a lot of things I like about it better than my previous Yamaha receiver and only a few things I liked better about the Yamaha.

I bought mine during the Christmas sale for $499. I chose to go the UMC-1 route because I sold my Yamaha for $500 so there was no out of pocket expense for me to make the switch into the Pre/Pro world. I have the 40!% card should I choose to upgrade to a better Pre/Pro down the road (XMC-1 etc).

All I can say is do your research. You will find a vast array of opinions on it. Most will say it is fantastic for 2ch, that you can't find anything close in that price range for those features, and that it's just down right sexy! [:P]

I'm with Fish in that I'm hesitant to push the UMC-1 but instead, share my experience with it. You can read my First Impressions of the UMC-1.

Some have had little to no problems, while others had nightmares with it. Much depended on FW version and what gear you were hooking it to.

The great thing is $300 isn't a huge investment and I believe you could
sell it in the Emo forums for $300 and have nothing to lose if you chose
to go that route. I know for me, I wanted to hear it for myself and do not have any regrets of my purchase.

Best wishes in your decision.

Thanks guys for the responses. YM thanks for the links as it was very helpful seeing where you started and where your thoughts on it now are.

The seller stated he only has the "plastic smaller remote" and the Emo site recommends NOT doing latest FW update if you dont have the big metal one. My question is with my Harmony 1 (I see YM has same one) would it cover all options with the big one I'd be missing? I will call EMO regarding getting one as suggested on their site.

My biggest concern from the readings is the Cable/Sat box drop outs some report ,but only one way to find out![:P]

I like the reveiews on 2 channel music. Could I then set up my Squeezebox Duet to run both analog (zone 2) to Tube amp then to Heresy II's and digital coax for HT Carver amp and my RF 5.1 system? If so I can eliminate a tube soundstage pre amp I like but is finicky.

I think for 300 I'd like to test it out and keep my Pioneer 9130 for awhile for back up if the UMC doesn't fit my needs.

I work in the film industry here and my friend is a sound engineer on set and is willing to come over for an afternoon and tweak (I think it will be a bonus to have "Dawn of the Dead" playing while the guy who recorded it for the movie tweaking it,great action,great music

I think reward over risk makes it worthwhile.

Thanks again guys

• Moderators

The seller stated he only has the "plastic smaller remote"

I don't even remember that one. All I have is the Metal one unless it is inside my box and I knew I didn't need it.

My question is with my Harmony 1 (I see YM has same one) would it cover all options with the big one I'd be missing? I will call EMO regarding getting one as suggested on their site.

If you call Emo, find out what buttons you need and I can look on my Harmony One to see if the options are there. If you have the Harmony One, you can download the codes as well and look.

My biggest concern from the readings is the Cable/Sat box drop outs some report ,but only one way to find out!

Sorry, can't help you there. Only have my PS3 and a digital to analog converter (for regular TV watching) hooked up to mine.

Could I then set up my Squeezebox Duet to run both analog (zone 2) to Tube amp then to Heresy II's and digital coax for HT Carver amp and my RF 5.1 system? If so I can eliminate a tube soundstage pre amp I like but is finicky.

Not familiar with that so I cannot comment as well.

I think for 300 I'd like to test it out and keep my Pioneer 9130 for awhile for back up if the UMC doesn't fit my needs.

I would definitely keep your Pioneer for a bit to see if the UMC-1 is a fit for you.

I just looked in the Emo Emporium and there are two three being sold on the first page for $415 shipped and one for $450 (ebay). I think you will easily be able to sell it for $300. I say go for it. I don't think you have anything to lose and only knowledge and experience to gain.

My thinking on it is on line with YM's without his knowledge or experience with the UMC-1.

I'm going to pul;l the trigger tonight and set it up on the weekend when I have the time.

Still curious if I can use both the analog and digital coax from Logitech squeezebox Duet (which I'm loving) into the UMC for both my tube amp > Heresy II's and coax into UMC output to Carver amp > 5.1 RF's

Thanks guys,I really appreciate the info and links

• Moderators

I recall when Youthman was considering the UMC I did not want to come out and say go for it.Now he kinda feels the same way but he gave good advice.

Yes, Fish gave me his impressions but did not "push" the UMC-1. That was good because I made my own decision based on the many hours of research that I had done. One way I try to look at things is I try to buy items at such a good price that I can get the money I have invested back if I find I do not like it. I don't like taking "hits" on anything. With $300, I think you are safe in that you will not lose anything out of the deal if you choose to sell it. If he gave you the 40% discount card, all the sweeter the deal. [:D]

Did you guys notice cards just sold on ebay for $200, wow.I could sell my card and I would have $239 in my UMC1(not), how anyone could complain about this company is beyond me.We should be so lucky that others would be so generous(he says as he listens to Neil Youngs "Old Man" 24/96k in amazement).

• Moderators

Yep, here it is. Funny thing is they aren't too bright since there are two others listed with Buy it Now for $200 & $280. Maybe they bid before those were listed? Really don't care to check to see. We'll give them the benefit of the doubt though.

My guess is the cards will increase in value as soon as the XMC-1 is released. Might consider selling mine. [:D]

Picked it up tonight. I connected it quickly to squeezebox and 12w tube amp to Heresy II's and played a few tunes through Direct. Love the sound without tweaking anything,so looks at first glance it'll be an upgrade to what I have if the handshake issues dont come up. He stated he had no trouble with HDMI and both sat and cable boxes.

Thanks again YM for the info I needed to make a more informed quick decision.

No card came with it and it only came with small remote. I'll try loading a couple pics.

post-50163-13819688463182_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Sweet, congratulations on the new purchase! One thing I really like about the UMC-1 is that you can configure any input for any source and rename it of course. Definitely a lot of tweaking capabilities under the hood.

I've never seen that type of remote before. Is that for the UMC-1? I just looked inside my box and there was not a second remote. Mine is the metal one and looks like this

Emotiva-UMC-1_007.jpg

I've never seen that type of remote before. Is that for the UMC-1? Mine is the metal one and looks like this

Emotiva-UMC-1_007.jpg

Yes it has UMC-1 on very bottom of pic. I can't find info on it really. Just curious as to the difference and see the difference with Harmony settings.. Either way looking forward to testing it out on weekend.

Thanks again

Little remote is what came with the UMC-1
at first, then cam the aluminum remote. Or what I call the
Home defense remote. Anyway one of the old updates canceled
the plastic remote ,and so now it dose not work with the UMC-1.
Plastic remote if I remember was turning other gear on and
off ,up and down are something like that, I don't know mine was
fine.

Sometime I think I have a deferent UMC-1 then
everyone else, just not having the problems I read about.
Could be because I do my updates with a strip down laptop.
Are maybe not.