Best subwoofer for under $800.00

JavaIsRobust

What is the best subwoofer for under $800.00?

I need a subwoofer to complete my home theater system. I really do not want to spend more than $800.00. If I could find something that would go well with my current setup for as low as $500.00 that would be great.

I do not know anything about subwoofers. I have never been a fan of a lot of bass when I watch movies or play games. However, I have always used very low quality computer speakers and subwoofers in the past. I do not want to annoy my neighbors in the surrounding houses when I watch moves so I do not need anything that will shake the walls. The houses in my neighborhood are about twelve feet apart.

I have looked over subwoofers on the Klipsch and Velodyne websites. I have no idea what I'm looking at when I read the specs. I'm not sure what size subwoofer I need either.

Any guidance, suggestions, or comments would be appreciative.

Thank you

What are your opinions on ported vs sealed.

Depends. A properly designed ported subwoofer can offer increased efficiency and output capability over a sealed model with little or nothing in the way of audible side effects. The key words are of course "properly designed".

However, to answer your original question requires a little information:

How large is the room this subwoofer will play in (in cubic feet)? Is it sealed off from other spaces, or does it open into other rooms/halls? How much clean output do you desire? Is there a size limit?

My Living room is about 13 x 15 and there is really only two walls as it opens up to the dinning room on one side and stairs to the second floor on another side. I want clarity more than loudness. I don't want my neighbors to complain. I will probably never turn the sub up much anyways as it tends to bother even me at high levels. Both of my subwoofers I bought with my computer speakers were always used at the lowest levels. Maybe the sound annoyed me at higher levels because they were cheap. I don't know.

I will probably never turn the sub up much anyways as it tends to bother even me at high levels. Both of my subwoofers I bought with my computer speakers were always used at the lowest levels. Maybe the sound annoyed me at higher levels because they were cheap. I don't know.

FWIW, there is no comparison between a cheap computer "subwoofer" and even a modestly priced home theater subwoofer of decent quality. As such, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions until you do some listening.

I don't want my neighbors to complain.

Understandable; fortunately, things like dynamic range compression and simply lowering the volume of the material can help with that. It's also useful to go outside with your system playing just to get an idea of how much you might be ticking off the neighborhood.

Also, here's some reading material to get an idea of what is available in that price range:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/lfm-1-ex-review

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/x-ref-12

The first two are fairly large, ported subwoofers with strong extension down to 20Hz. The third is a smaller sealed subwoofer. Also for kicks, a little pricier than your budget, but just for comparison purposes, a real mans sealed sub [:P]

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=46&mset=43

I picked up a SW-112 from my local electronics store for $535.00. I have 30 days to return it if I don't like it. I'm trying to figure out all of the different settings to adjust right now.
Hey, try it out and tweek it as needed, take it back if you don't like it.

Does anyone have any opinions of this sub?

Though I have not heard this sub, I think your fine setup deserves a much better quality subwoofer.

Bill

I picked up a SW-112 from my local electronics store for $535.00. I have 30 days to return it if I don't like it. I'm trying to figure out all of the different settings to adjust right now. Does anyone have any opinions of this sub?

Your opinion is the only one that matters. How does it sound? [:)]

After playing some music and movies, I'm starting to think I would like something nicer. It's very difficult to find a nicer sub in a retail store and I'm worried about buying something online without being able to easily return it.

I actually gave the SW112 a test drive but it was a very short ride. I was very disappointed with the performance and build quality of this sub. Shocked actually! I'm such a huge fan of Klipsch speakers and can't believe these have the same brand name of my RF-82's. I quickly returned it to the store and ordered an SVS after much more research and mental debates. You pay a little more for an SVS or similar but boy do you ever see it. "willland" said it best so I'll echo his post... your setup deserves a better class of sub. You'll really be regretting it later on if you don't do it right the first time.

I'm worried about buying something online without being able to easily return it.

How much more difficult is it really? With a sub you obtain from a retailer, you've still got to rebox it and return it to the store. With a sub you buy from an internet direct company, you contact the company to inform them you're returning it, you rebox it, and you lug it to FedEx or UPS. The only real drawback is that you'll probably have to pay return shipping, but then again you might be expected to pay a restocking fee at a dealer that sells halfway decent subwoofers.

My advice: see if you can find any local dealers of higher end subs, Velodyne or the aforementioned Paradigm would be a good start. Also, depending on where you are, you might be able to find someone near you with an internet direct sub that you'd be interested in that would let you audition it. I also personally think it's worthwhile to look at 3rd party measurements, ala http://www.data-bass.com/systems to get some idea of what you're purchasing, and to make objective comparisons to other subs in that category.

• 2 weeks later...

I will probably never turn the sub up much anyways as it tends to bother even me at high levels. Both of my subwoofers I bought with my computer speakers were always used at the lowest levels. Maybe the sound annoyed me at higher levels because they were cheap. I don't know.

computer speaker subwoofers bother me period they sound bad.that was most likely why they were bothering you.

if your requirement is mainly accurate,and clean sounding bass.try one of these. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

servo subs are known for being very accurate,and clean sounding.