Daves Eliptrac 400 in Jube Clones...Pics!

jorjen

Geez, I guess it has been almost a year now that Dave made a set of Eliptrac 400's for the Jube Clones. I would like to point out that he did this solely out of the kindness of his heart and there was no exchange of long green between the two of us. He also made them to fit the exact opening previously inhabited by Gregs FC260's. He was interested in their performance in the Clones and my take on the subject.

Due to the degree of difficulty that I was facing relating to the swap, I have been procrastinating this whole time. Finally decided to grab the bull by the balls on Friday and make it happen. They are fully installed and I am preparing for a lengthy listening session tonight. I will post my impressions in this thread as soon as I have something halfway intelligent to impart. For now, just a couple of photos of the horns.

post-9114-13819689207946_thumb.jpg

I'm running Dave's Eliptracs in TWO WAY, on the Goldens and a set of the Jub-like drones, shown below. GOTTA tell you...it is one of the finest horns out there.....! In comparuison to a very expensive set of Martinelli's, it is very close in comparison. I would use the term "Sparkley", not Bright, when comparing them to the more mellow Martinelli's. It is truly a fine horn...!

W. C.

post-57654-1381968949557_thumb.jpg

Craig,

I can only try to put this into words that I hope everyone can understand. You must understand that I am comparing these to a set of Martinelli's with identical Beyma 2" Drivers, in a two way passive, on Jubilees, They are as close as to Live as you can get, in my honest opinion. Let's say the Martinelli's are a bit more 'Mellow" than the Eliptrac 400's, but that is it. For what it is worth, this is coming from a set of ears that have spent 40 plus years behind the scenes of Live productions. I have and would not hesitate again, to buy Dave's Eliptrac 400's for my personal use.....!

W. C.

Craig,

I can only try to put this into words that I hope everyone can understand. You must understand that I am comparing these to a set of Martinelli's with identical Beyma 2" Drivers, in a two way passive, on Jubilees, They are as close as to Live as you can get, in my honest opinion. Let's say the Martinelli's are a bit more 'Mellow" than the Eliptrac 400's, but that is it. For what it is worth, this is coming from a set of ears that have spent 40 plus years behind the scenes of Live productions. I have and would not hesitate again, to buy Dave's Eliptrac 400's for my personal use.....!

W. C.

I was actually referring to Jorjens original post, but thanks for the reply anyway.

Craig

So what do you think, how are the Eliptracs? Are they staying put.

Looks sweet.

Craig.

Yep, they are NOT coming out! The FC260's are a great horn but in my application, in my room, etc. the Eliptracs are a better solution with the Jube bins.

Now I sold my Cary preamp(my Tube Research Labs "Dude" is not here yet) not long after I put these in so I do not have alot of time with them. However, I will say the Eliptracs seem to blend much better with the bass bins, They are smoother and more controlled. They do not fall apart when pushed in my room and room treatments do not seem as critical. They also seem to make the bass a little better, cleaner and more articulate on the upper end. Vocals are a little fuller and more palpable, more live if you will. The overall presentation is more effortless. Sweetspot also appears to be larger and more forgiving. There is more of a "sweetness" to my system now.

I will have more down the road after the new preamp comes and I get my system back on the road.

Wow! Those are the best looking set of Jubs I've seen. Good job!!!

Thanks alot Don, I appreciate it. I worked on them on and off for over three years and I can honestly say I do not think they could have turned out any better.

Guest David H

Wow! Those are the best looking set of Jubs I've seen. Good job!!!

Thanks alot Don, I appreciate it. I worked on them on and off for over three years and I can honestly say I do not think they could have turned out any better.

I have to agree these turned out incredible, and I am very pleased you like the horns.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running Dave's Eliptracs in TWO WAY, on the Goldens and a set of the Jub-like drones, shown below. GOTTA tell you...it is one of the finest horns out there.....! In comparuison to a very expensive set of Martinelli's, it is very close in comparison. I would use the term "Sparkley", not Bright, when comparing them to the more mellow Martinelli's. It is truly a fine horn...!

W. C.

Have you heard the 402's and how would they compare to the 400's ?

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone using this Elliptrac 400 with a Lascala bass bin and crossing it at 400Hz in 3 way configuration with tweeter and if so with what driver. Has anyone mated this horn to the 2" BMS that Volti Audio uses?

I memory serves me I believe the driver is the BMS 4592ND-MID but not sure?

Craig,

I am using the Beyma NS 750 2" ,on Dave's Eliptrac 400's and it is supberb, in a two way passive congiguration. The Volti VTrac Horn setup uses the BMS 4592ND-MID in three way, I believe. I am sure that Greg will chime in as I surely do not want to put out any false information. I think his setup has received some very positive reviews.

Is anyone using this Elliptrac 400 with a Lascala bass bin and crossing it at 400Hz in 3 way configuration with tweeter and if so with what driver. Has anyone mated this horn to the 2" BMS that Volti Audio uses?

I memory serves me I believe the driver is the BMS 4592ND-MID but not sure?

I'm just about to. I should have the Elliptracs finished in about 2 weeks & I'll be mating this with some GPA 399 drivers. This runs through Al's uni's & the top end is JBL 2404H.

I'll post some pics when it's done.