Single Cornwall 2 (vertical mount horns) on ebay/NW

He's the individual that bought the Decorator K-Horns on last weeks "Buy It Now" auction for $1,750.00 in Oregon. That's the free Cornwall that came with the BIN K-Horn purchase. Guess he is recouping some of his expenditure. Damn! I should not have hesitated on that auction, that Cornwall & those K-horns would be mine.Redface.gif

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

I'll join you in the lament column, ShapeShifter, I just noticed that it was a "vertical" horn model that could have become a rear effects channel with my pair of Cornwall surrounds on the music system.

Worse yet, he was willing to deliver them in the S.F. Bay Area (where I live) tomorrow! Drat! & double drat!!

I need to pay closer attention when I see a dndphishin post! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

The first two pics are blurry, but look at the sticker and staple on the back!! I'll bet that sucker is in museum shape. Usually that sticker yellows over time. I wish I lived in the Northwest about now - there's been some wicked deals up there lately for someone who can pick them up. Why don't such deals show up in the Midwest??

I wonder how close a match the old Cornwall 2 would be to 1989 cornwall II's?? I know that the drivers aren't identical, but they are similar. I could deal with the "lowboy" setup too - I've even considered doing "HornEd" type surgery on a newer single Cornwall II to make a center (as well as using a single Belle) - no luck on a local unit in either case.

Edit - someone got it.

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 05-23-2002 at 09:30 AM

Wavey.gif Good for you, JR... at least a Forum Member jumped on it as dnd suggested!

Wow, that was such a good deal we may have our own version of "Who Shot J.R." right on our Forum. cwm24.gif

Of course, Forum protocol insists that it be a "snapshot"... right BobG? cwm38.gif -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-23-2002 at 03:27 PM

JR,

Here's a pic of the Decorator K-Horns that your seller bought. Your Decorator Cornwall was free with his BIN purchase. I suspect your Cornwall will be in the same condition and quality as these. Glad you got it.

I saved this image from that eBay listing. It serves as a reminder, to never wait for a seller reply when BIN items are priced right & look this good! Man...I've beaten myself up for missing that purchase.

The best to ya...Wes

KlipschCornerHornStyleD.JPG

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-23-2002 at 06:15 PM

Those K-horns look incredible! I hope my Cornwall is in the same shape, the pictures were pretty blurry. I wonder why someone would take such good care of the speakers and have one with no grill? But, that is an easy fix. I will post some pics when it comes in.

John

Wes,

That Cornwall ISN'T a decorator model. The label says: CWO...Cornwall, Walnut, Oiled finish. There should be a grille cloth panel with it. And, it was not made back in the days when the vertical horn model was a standard offering, but later...maybe even as late as when I worked there...or even later!! On occasion a vertical horned Cornwall would be requested by a customer and built-up!

The k-horns that were originally with that Cornwall were decorators that had been veneered in walnut and that had solid walnut trim applied to them. That is why they don't look like standard Walnut ones!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

HDBRbuilder,

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember your comments regarding those Decorator K-Horns from a previous post. But thought the Cornwall was a Decorator too. Someone must have removed the cloth. My 71's have the original brown frabic cloth & Pie Slice Logos. The one in the pic does have the label with arrows which indicates horns oreintation when the speaker is placed vertical or horizontial.

My Bad!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-24-2002 at 02:20 PM

JR,

I don't have any. There was once a thread here concerning how many parties would be interested in having them reproduced. My 71 Verticals don't have a removal grill, the cloth is actually attached to the Motor Board. My understanding is you would have to remove the Motor Board to replace like originals. Guess you could buy later model covers, or make grills and cover them with cloth, just leaves less of an overhang or reveal on the front. The grills from my 85 Corns will fit the 71's. Different look though.

If HDBRbuilder relooks this thread, he could may have several other options. We're fortunate he's the resident expert here, having built several Klipsch Models.

Best of luck,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-25-2002 at 06:16 AM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I received the single Cornwall 2 this week, it is in near mint condition (except for the lack of grill cloth). It sounds great. I ordered some grill cloth today so I will have them back in order very soon - minus the "PWK Logo" of course.

HDBR - I like the color of this Cornwall so much, I plan to veneer my Birch K-Horns in walnut. Can you tell me how I can match the Cornwall shade? How did they finish these in the factory?

Thanks,

John

JR,

Black walnut is black walnut...shouldn't be any problem with good walnut veneer matching up...color is normally pretty close anyway!! Finish is hand-rubbed oil finish. If your birch decorator k-horns are raw and have matching panels you can likely just stain them with a good black walnut stain and then oil it and most folks owuld never know they aren't actually walnut-veneered....birch can be stained to look like lots of fine woods!!

As for those pie-slice logos...they aren't now available from the company, and probably won't become available either...the company doesn't have the copyright to em!! Mrs. Valerie does!!

Wes, the reason your cornwalls have grille cloth on motorboard is because they are old-style flush-front decorator birch ones...the finely-veneered ones had drop-in grille-cloth panels. Flush-front decorator models had grille-cloth attached to front of speaker and trim added around perimeter of front to cover staples and such.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-05-2002 at 10:41 PM

Thanks HDBR, What I was wondering was, do I simply oil the veneer? Do I sand between coats? How many coats? That sort of thing.

Wes, my walnut Cornwall has (had) the grill cloth fastened to the motor board as well. I think the Cornwall 2 (vert. horn)had the grill fastened this way and the "PWK" logo was nailed to the motor board over the cloth, mine still have the nails sticking through.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by JR:

Wes, my walnut Cornwall has (had) the grill cloth fastened to the motor board as well. I think the Cornwall 2 (vert. horn)had the grill fastened this way and the "PWK" logo was nailed to the motor board over the cloth, mine still have the nails sticking through.

Thanks

JR,

My 71 Walnut Oil Corns are done in the same manner with gold colored nail or tack heads visible thru those Pie Sliced Logos. Glad to hear your speaker arrived safetly and was in exceptional condition.

Would like to see a pic after you install new grill cloth. It looked darn good to me without the cloth too.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-06-2002 at 02:35 PM