spring is here.....need to work on the bike.

Guest " "

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to the tunes from a pair of klipsch Heresy HSM's and a 4 watt tube amp......bring my bike (2007 ultra) from 96" to 103" stage 3, which is the 103 upgrade kit with se 257 cams and 10.5:1 forged pistons. while in there, doing an SE compensator upgrade, replacing clutch basket, starter and changing the sprockets from 32T/66T to 30T/68T. adding compression release heads. it's been 25 years since I did this kind of work so I am excited to put some time in it.

I have an 07 Road King Classic. I love the fuel injection.

Right now I am repairing a Yamaha Rhino my 15 year old decided to hit a tree with, and roll over a hill. A used radiator was $185 plus shipping. I thought Harley parts were expensive. A new radiator would have been $345 plus shipping.

Post some pictures of your progress, so we can see that beauty.

I'm off to work on my bikes this weekend.

Previous owner did not do maintenence and I am a fanatic about maintaining vehicles. Need to flush the brake system, change trans and rear drive oil, cluth hydraullic fluid, air filter and maybe alt belt and spark plugs. I should check the valves and balance the throttle bodies but that will have to wait until summer (when it is really hot out). No coolant on the twin motor, but the engine is flat [^o)].

Also need to do some work on the dirt bike. Went from a YZ 450 to a WR450. Need to get that up to speed too and get the YZ ready to sell.

Definitely keep us posted, and I'd love to see some photos of the whole process.... Geeked

I have been taking pictures as I go. Right now, I'm at dismantling the top end...everything is off....so new 103 jugs, new ACR'ed heads, new 10:1 forged hic compression pistons will be going in. Then after that, still have a Primary case rebuild and a sprocket change fom 32T/66T to 30T/68T.

Posted Image

Not as cool as a Harley but I found this frame a few years ago and came up with some fenders and white walls. It's my little "rat rod" bike.

I took this picture at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, wife and I went out to see some pretty fast rigs.

Notice the drink holder up front? [:P]

here's the engine today....basically down to the crank case....build up starts tomorrow.....cylinders are in the oven right now getting baked...the stage II kit only cost me 400 bucks mainly becuase they could not sell a silver kit...10 dollar can of heat paint black and a roll of instrument tape fixed that problem.

post-22082-13819693072496_thumb.png

going with adjustable...but I have to admit...once I took them out...those stock push rods look pretty well designed for what they are doing

going with adjustable...but I have to admit...once I took them out...those stock push rods look pretty well designed for what they are doing

Adjustables are nice if you ever need to pull them, you don't have to pull the top end apart.

my first snag...this ring compressor tool is a PIA. First one went right in. Second one doesn't want to cooperate. measured ring end and piston side and the cylinders and pistons are exactly the same. Tossed the ring compressor tool and did it the way I used to do it when i was a kid....by hand...one ring at a time...and a butter knife. did both in less than 5 minutes using the butter knife. maybe the compressor tool was too cheap of a model.

post-22082-1381969308701_thumb.png

ok, both cylinders and pistons in. the cylinders are supposed to be marked front and rear....but these were not....apparently, the rear is about 1/8th of an inch shorter....and the front one will not fit in the back.

post-22082-1381969311363_thumb.png

both are in. rechecked for snags. torqued to 15 ft lbs in 4 steps. threw the bike into 6th and spun the rear wheel to check for kinked rings (the oil rings has 3 pieces that look like brillo and christmas tree metal glitter), everything turned smooth with no binding . over the next few days exhaust, intake, rocker covers and rods. more epics later

post-22082-13819693117782_thumb.png