What jbl speaker is comparable to the cornwall?

davestef

Hi everyone, I've been interested in checking out a pair of jbls just to see what people like about them. I have a pair of Cornwalls, I was wondering if anyone here could let me know what model(s) would be comparable/in the same league as them

JBL 300 Summit is probably the closest to the Cornwall in terms of size. The JBL dirvers are of very high quality - the LE85 mids and 077 tweeters are considerably more expensive than the Klipsch counterparts. They are quite good.....

However, an L300 pair will cost more on the used market than Cornwalls, clean pairs when found go for more than 2K. You might also look into the L200, which is a two way version.

I love the vintage JBL, but own Klipsch as they are soooo much better of a deal and give me the performance I want. If I had won the Mega Millions the other night I would be buying up Paragons, C50 and C60 Sovereign and Olympus cabinets and all kinds of other goodies, because that old JBL is THE STUFF. But since I have an income closer to the "American Mean", I choose Heritage Klipsch because no one got so much out of the chosen equipment as PWK - and you'll look 'til you're dead trying to beat that VALUE.

As Nectar states, the closest I've found is the L300 Summit. Main overall difference is the Summit's larger and heavier-built cabinet and the mid and tweeter horns are different bypes, but the overall configuration is that same.

I have both Cornwalls and Summits. I only paid $200 for the Cornwalls (which required a few hundred more in repairs and crossover rebuilds) and $550 for the Summits, which is an extreme bargain as they typically sell for $2K-$3K. Down side is that the doofus who owned them installed peavy bass drivers rather than repairing the foam surrounds that typicall fail in these speakers, and then tossed the valuable JBL bass drivers. (which are worth more than I paid him for the speakers.) I don't have the original drivers to compare, but I have no complaint about the Peavy drivers, they seem to work well.

In operation, the Summits are clearly superior to the Cornwalls in every way, which is saying something since the Cornwalls are such good speakers. I think the character and quality of the midrange is similar in both speakers, but the JBL tweeter is far superior to the Cornwall tweeter, and bass is lower and punchier. The JBL also included mid and high balance controls, which makes it easy to set up the speaker to personal listening levels. I had to add a parametric equalizer to balance the Cornwalls.

Appearance wise, the Summit has a glass top, a lower, squarer cabinet on a riser, and dark wood panels on the side with curved edges. They are quite heavy and the square footprint and glass top is nice as a place to put equipment without getting feedback. (except turntables, of course.)

If I was asked to rank my speakers in sound quality, this would be my opinion:

1. Thiel CS1.6

2. JBL Summit L300

3. Klipschorns

4. Klipsch Cornwalls

5. Klipsch Heresy

I was wondering if anyone here could let me know what model(s) would be comparable/in the same league as them

It sounds like this question has been answered, above. Note that the JBL L300 Summit has a measured sensitivity of 93 dB/W/m - which is significantly lower than the Cornwall's 101 dB/W/m. PWK said that the higher the efficiency of the speaker, the lower the speaker's FM and AM distortion. Also note that direct radiator speakers (like the Cornwall and JBL 300 woofers) will always exhibit dramatically higher bass AM distortion than horn-loaded speakers. Khorns significantly outperform Cornwalls in the dimension of bass modulation distortion.

...I've been interested in checking out a pair of JBLs just to see what people like about them...

I have to agree that the JBLs that I've heard, mostly L100s, do better with certain types of music and music formats than others. For instance, if you primarily listen to rock, heavy metal, or their derivatives--especially on vinyl--then you may like these type of speakers. Also note that I don't care for the "JBL sound" because that's not the type of music that I typically listen to.

I think that it's important to reveal what type of music that you predominantly listen to in order to get a more calibrated response from the folks here. I list my music preferences in my profile.

Chris

Ok I'll keep an eye out for that. Any idea if the l40 is a decentspeakers? I've heard people on various forums that it's the cheapest vintage jbl that has the jbl sound. Plu it the only jbl that beenon sale localy on Craigslist for months. The guy is asking $175. Is that a bad deal? I know the don't compare to the Cornwalls but I could also use some bookshelf speakers to replace the jvc bookshelf speakers I use in my room.

The L40 is a two way with a 10" woofer. They would make okay desktop speakers. If you want three way, you would be better served to find some L100 Century models, or the pro version of the same thing, 4311, 4311a, 4311b.

I have some 4311s and consider them to be very similar to the Heresy with these differences.

JBL is not as efficient (91db)

JBL reproduces lower bass (45 Hz 15 kHz +-3 dB)

JBL mid driver can tend to break up at higher levels. Never really noticced this much myself but they say it does...)

JBL crossover is minimal... and a rebuilt, designed one could greatly improve the sound.

They are about the same size as Heresy cabs, so they are a large bookshelf. [:D]

The 4311/L100 is all DRs, no horns at all.

Not sure about Dave's California sound. I've heard that comment forever, and still don't get it. For the professional line of JBLs, the L100/4311 is probably the least loved of any of their speakers, but the L100 served the same purpose for JBL that the Heresy did for Klipsch. The L100 was one of the best selling loudspeakers ever produced, and brought in lots of cash. As has been mentioned, the JBL drivers are all superbly made.

They could be EQ'd almost flat with the onboard L-Pads.

I was going to sell my 4311s, but they sell too cheap and I need more money for them than what they currently bring.

Bruce

... I choose Heritage Klipsch
because no one got so much out of the chosen equipment as PWK - and
you'll look 'til you're dead trying to beat that VALUE.

As Audible Nectar said, it is the VALUE of Klipsch that beats everyone.

Bruce

The Cornwalls came out in about 1960. At that time, the nearest JBL equivalent would be the C37 Vincent speakers, a two way with D130 woofer and D175 midhorn.

I would venture the nearest three way JBL in modern times, post 1975, would be the L220, and the L200 if you wanted a two way.

I own 4311 and L300, I never owned Cornwalls but have heard them (and liked them!). I have klipschorns in my main system because I crave the dynamics and detail in the mids and highs that only horns can give me. That being said both the 4311 (in a fairly small room) and the L300 (in a somewhat bigger room) do a great job of making music. they have great extension on both ends, clarity and bass punch. I tend to use them for less critical listening, but enjoy the music played through them most completely, I dont agree that one or the other is better for rock or classical, etc. to me they carry the same family values across musical genres. so the L300 remains the closest corollary between klipsch cornwalll and jbl, but without the efficiency and horn dynamics. you wont go wrong with either, it is taste that will make the decision. important to listne to them both before making a purchase decision. YMMV, IMHO, yada, yada. warm regards, Tony

forgot to mention another JBL I own the L65 (jubal) which also sounds great for rock and roll, etc. using them as end tables in a game room these days (need to replace the foam surrounds and just cannot work up the energy) but they did sound great

Not sure about Dave's California sound. I've heard that comment forever, and still don't get it.

Accented midrange, tight but a bit thinnish bass. Kickn' rocknroll; classical or pipe organ, not so much. Tannoy is a "nowhere near" California speaker with it as well. Also many EVs. Ran into a lot in radio monitor applications and once you are conditioned to it you know it when you hear it.

It isn't really a value judgement. If it floats you boat it's a good thing.

Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Summit-L300-Fantastic-Condition-Black-Grills-No-Reserve-/130672912760?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e6cb66978 jeez, i dont know how one can say theyre in the same league when one goes for $600 and the other goes for $2,250 or so. i think ill hold off on the l40 for now.

As with any vintage hifi equipment, you can't make such a statement. I paid $550 for my Summits and they are in as good or better shape than most seen on ebay, although as I mentioned the woofers were replace. We've all seen countless examples of good speakers selling at the lower end of the range, but patience is necessary.

As for being in the same league, I believe the original idea was to find out which JBL speaker is most similar in configuration and performance to the Cornwalls. Your premise is rediculous since current production Cornwall III's cost $4000, more than double what you typically pay for the Summits.

true. but these arent brand new l300's selling for $2,500 either. theyre both vintage 70's.

theres this jbl nut on youtube...

he posted a video of a pair of l300's and i asked "these are comparable to the klipsch cornwall?" and he replied, "I think not" :P i had a feeling he was going to say that.