Crazy Impulse Buy

willland

I really like the D8000 series Samsung LEDs. They are expensive, but I really don't think I have seen a better display. Calibrated correctly, and I think the colors are right on, the detail is ridiculously good, and there is extremely little motion blur. But for the price, you could pick up a pair of Klipschorns and probably have some money left over. Haven't had a chance to check out the new LED ESXXXX stuff, looks pretty nice.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new TV Bill. I love my LG plasma. When I was shopping the plasma sets just looked SO much better than the LCDs to me. Mine came from Sears at a really good deal being last year's model (at the time) on clearance.

I take advantage of 0% for XX months for major purchases whenever I can. However I manage the $$ a little differently that previously mentioned.

My last couple of employers allowed multiple direct-deposit deductions and they could be sent to different banks. I have a savings account at a credit union that does not have a branch in my town. When I bought something big I figured out the bi-weekly amount to pay it off one month before the end of the term. I then set up a direct deposit for that amount.

The last time I had a major purchase financed this way (a big oak entertainment center) my direct-deposit split was: 15% of the net to savings at BoA, fixed $ amount to credit union, and balance to BoA checking.

35 months (or whatever) later I drive a couple of towns over, withdrawl the $$ and pay off the purchase. By not having a branch near by it makes it difficult to access the $$. I also get whatever little bit of interest the funds draw while they're sitting there. Under a half a pervent interest on a savings account... Really?

There is however a downside to doing this. So far I've had Rooms to Go and Sears both cancell my accounts after I took advantage or their 0% offers too many times. I guess they're pretty much counting on people to NOT pay off the purchase at the end of the term and get ticked at those who do.

Oh well...

Congrats on the new TV Bill. I love my LG plasma. When I was shopping the plasma sets just looked SO much better than the LCDs to me. Mine came from Sears at a really good deal being last year's model (at the time) on clearance.

Thanks Jeff, the picture quality and the Smart features are great. I am still exploring and very intrigued with what this TV can do.

I take advantage of 0% for XX months for major purchases whenever I can.

I have bought many things this way over the years and have not paid one red cent of interest in doing so. Most have been paid off way before the final due date, some even within just a few months as I plan to do this time. As Youthman has mentioned many times, the best way(and safest) is to pay CA$H when the money is saved up first. No enslavement at all to the credit card companies.[Y]

Bill

Chase got me also , I got a new cc from them 30k line 0% for one yr I ran it up for 11 months to 26k and 2 weeks before it was due I sent a cashiers check to them . And 1 month later they dropped my credit line down to 2k and wont increase it .

And no I didnt have 26k handy I took out a loan

I have the UN55D7000LF. I also have a very nice Panasonic Plasma display. The Samsung just kills it all the way around.

I do not like auto motion plus -- I have that turned off.

I think with these edge lit LEDs, the 240Hz refresh rate is a must.

My sincere apologies Bill for taking your thread WAY off topic. Had no idea it. LOL

Michael,

If a brother is not looking out for me, who else is going to do it.[A][li][6]

From the title and the contents of my first post, I invited and expected comments about the TV itself and my impulsive side which very rarely rears it's ugly head.[:@][:D]

Bill