Yield Open-Baffle project.

Guest David H

I have a weird "need to own" thing happenin' with open baffle speakers. I just love the open air design, i'm not a fan of grilles because I like to see the speakers breathe in a way. Nice purchase!!!.... Hope you get them dialed in without to much hassle. Great lookin' design as well... :emotion-21: I need to do more research... :ph34r:

Im guessing this is how you figure the delay is made which stops the cancellation larry was asking about since the front of the driver soundwave has to travel the depth of the baffle and thru the port ?? Pretty Damn cool design. I listened to a simple open baffle design a few years ago but it had NO BASS It was a 15" dual driver

Dave I'm curious what size are those baffles, I have used Horns in front of drivers like this before, never Baffles

I think i mean ports, You know the holes in front of the woofers, looks like its about 4" by a couple inches deep ??

Please share your experiance with the horn and fullranger. Or a thread if there was one.

I am stuck in a very dull meeting and was wondering what that would sound like.

Guest David H

Im guessing this is how you figure the delay is made which stops the cancellation larry was asking about since the front of the driver soundwave has to travel the depth of the baffle and thru the port ?? Pretty Damn cool design. I listened to a simple open baffle design a few years ago but it had NO BASS It was a 15" dual driver

Its a bit complicated, but but works well. The LBAT bass chamber work on basic band pass priciples, compression, and rarefaction.

Dave

Guest David H

Here are some shots of my original Yields veneered courtesy of Amps and Sound.

Please disregaurd the noise in the photo, there is dust on my Iphones camera lens.

Dave
Edited by GotHover

Guest David H

Nice looking cabinet, bet it sounds good.

Thanks, I really need to get these to a show so I can get some more ears on them.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Nice looking cabinet, bet it sounds good.

Thanks, I really need to get these to a show so I can get some more ears on them.

Dave

Too bad you're so far away, i love hearing new things.

I'm working on something myself but its a single full range driver in a multi chamber ported cabinet.

I would like to hear more about your mid range horn for my LaScala's when you have free time. Send me a E-Mail or PM when you have a chance.

Edited by jason str

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on an Open-Baffle project. This project stemmed from my interest in Martin Kings work.

I am very pleased with the sound, what is truly amazing is the bass response. I am getting solid coverage to 30hz without eq.

Dave

30Hz and no boost or EQ on an open baffle? I'm not so lucky.

Here's a photo of an open baffle design using 2x15" AE LO-15 drive units, an ideal driver for this application.

post-864-0-88880000-1394748839_thumb.jpg

Below is the 2m, ground plane response of the 2x15" taken out-doors (near-field measurements do not work for OB designs). The measured response is "ideal" conditions, large closed-off parking lot, no wind, no buildings within 200'.

Note the -6dB/octave roll-off below 300Hz. This requires a +6dB/octave boost facilitated by active network.

post-864-0-41360000-1394749136_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I have been working on an Open-Baffle project. This project stemmed from my interest in Martin Kings work.

I am very pleased with the sound, what is truly amazing is the bass response. I am getting solid coverage to 30hz without eq.

Dave

30Hz and no boost or EQ on an open baffle? I'm not so lucky.

Here's a photo of an open baffle design using 2x15" AE LO-15 drive units, an ideal driver for this application.

attachicon.gif2X15_OB.jpg

Below is the 2m, ground plane response of the 2x15" taken out-doors (near-field measurements do not work for OB designs). The measured response is "ideal" conditions, large closed-off parking lot, no wind, no buildings within 200'.

Note the -6dB/octave roll-off below 300Hz. This requires a +6dB/octave boost facilitated by active network.

attachicon.gifGP_2m_on-ax.jpg

John, I did not get anywhere near that elaborate with my testing.

Furthermore, my bass section only covers roughly 25-200hz, the full range Audio Nirvana takes over from there. I can see from your graph your setup would have no issues getting similar coverage.

Those AE drivers are fantastic, and from what I understand those are amazing in H baffle configuration. What sort of baffle are you using? I assume those must be a U baffle due to how small the baffles are.

Dave