sub advice

VIC

• Moderators

Hi Vic, looking at your system, I could see how the Sub12 would be your bottleneck so to speak. I personally have not heard the Sub12 but read a lot here that it is a great all around budget sub.

A lot depends on room size and more importantly, your budget.

I moved from a Velodyne CT-10 (10" with 100 watt sub) to a Velodyne F-1500 (15" sub with 250 watt amp) and it was a big improvement. MUCH deeper bass but the bass was just boomy. Then I upgraded to the Velodyne HGS15 (15" sub with 1250 RMS/3000 Peak amp) and I absolutely love it. Deep bass down to 15Hz, but very smoothe. Then adding a second Velodyne HGS15 provided even MORE bass but smoothed out the bass response throughout the room helping to reduce the nulls that I had before. New, it was around $2000, I paid $200 for the first one used.

Look around at Velodyne, HSU, Epik, SVS, lots of options out there, especially in the used market.

i was, at one point before i decided to stop my spending binge around christmas time, was looking at the pc12-Ultra and getting 2 of them. I was attaracted to their lighter weight and smaller footprint. If i had the moneyto really blow, i would jump 2 pc13-ultra. I looked at rythmik and ed and hsu research and i settled on their rock solid performance and solid sledge amps.

• Moderators

I have heard nothing but rave reviews about the PB13. With that said, I personally wouldn't want to invest $2000 in a subwoofer that might be worth a few hundred dollars in 10 years. Guess that's why I typically buy used gear. I'm too cheap. [:P]

I purchased a used JL f113 fathom for $2200 off Audiogon a few years back and it has been without a doubt the best home theater money I have ever spent. Just the other day, my mother was visiting from out of state and mistakenly turned on the HT downstairs with the volume cranked. I don't know what was playing, but for a second I was sure we were in the middle of an earthquake. It continues to impress me every time I use it. Having enough woofer for your tastes is the cornerstone to a good HT in my opinion and you'll get way more woof for your buck on the used market. That being said, nowadays, there are excellent subs on the market in just about every price point. The best advice I can offer is to take your time and demo as many subs in your home with your equipment, your movies and your settings as possible before buying. Some subs get great reviews, but won't sound good in your room or to your ear. Try a ported sub, a sub with a passive radiator and a sealed sub for starters. I used to have a 15 year old KSW-200 from high school that I thought ran circles around many of the mid-tier subs on the market today, I should have never gotten rid of it. I can't stress enough how much personal preference come into picking a sub. Hope this helps.

The sub you have is a pretty nice one, good specs. Look at at least some 15in subs or larger or you may not feel that you have made an upgrade. What are you looking to spend? One thing, hold on to the one you have and use dual subs. Are you looking for more LF extension for movies or more bang in the 30-50Hz range, or a more musical type sub?

How big is your listening area? Looking at the rest of your system, I think you might be a little disappointed with this SVS setup. I have a Velodyne SPL 1200R that is similar to that SVS. From the SVS website: "Perfect for college dorms, apartments and small home theaters, the SB12-NSD will satisfy your craving" which is pretty much it. I think my Velo has more amp, but it sounds pretty darn good, especially in a smaller room. But you don't really have a small home theater. you have a full RF set up. Have you looked at the Klipsch RT-12D? I got to demo one in my house after I got my RF-83s and was pretty impressed. I have read good things about Epik also.