log cabin

beemer08

I would like to tap the collective knowledge of this forum. We bought a log cabin that is 20 X 24 ft. There is little floor space for the Forte2 speakers but plenty of wall space (18 ft.). Would mounting them on the wall maybe on a sturdy TV wall bracket so they can be pointed down as well as to the room center work? The TV bracket would put them out from the wall 12 to 15 inches but would I lose the bass that floor standing gives? Could a sub make up for any lost bass. There is no money left to buy new speakers and floor space is the key reason to go up out of the way. I was planning to go 6 - 7 feet up to be able to walk under them. Could this even work? Thanks.

A sub isn't always recommended [;)] If you want to mount them on the wall, something needs to be under the speakers. I wouldn't trust the cabinets to hold together well unless there is some underneath support.

Does this have a peakers roof/raised ceiling or is a flat ceiling? If mounted very high, you could turn them upside down so the horn is closer to ear level (at least while standing up).

Bruce

Alright alright, a sub is recommended most of the time. I suppose it depends on what the speakers are used for the most. I wouldn't have a speaker system used for mainly movies without a sub. If it's used mainly for listening to jazz, then yeah, you can get away without using a sub =^P

If you have a flat ceiling or even a mild vault..........you could mount them horizontally where the wall meets the ceiling..........angled toward the floor, so they would be, or sort of be "in a corner". You could use the same sturdy TV stand you are talking about. Not sure if that model has a rear passive radiator but this mounting should accomodate that too.

Thank you for your ideas. Think of the capitol letter A and the speakers would be mounted across the horizontal bar of the "A". That is the way the ceiling is and the horizontal bar is the top of 2 sets of french doors going out to the deck. Putting the speakers horizontal and tipped downward would work as well. They do have passive woofers in back of speakers so think they would need to be away from wall some.

Could always add Bass transducers to seating too. I have just added a modest Bassshaker to my couch and almost have decided to replace the massive sonosub for movie use. "If your sitting" the effect is adjustable and equal to my water heater sized sub. I also use a Energy 8" powered sub to brige the gap in bass on my Cornwall's. Although they stop around 35hz I can use the small sub down to 25hz to boost musical content while about the house. Of course I'm not taking into account any room mode or boost.

A speaker doesn't care if it is coupled to the floor or the ceiling, you shoud still get boundary gain. If the woofer is as close to the ceiling as it would have been to the floor, I wouldn't think there would be a difference in bass.

A speaker doesn't care if it is coupled to the floor or the ceiling, you shoud still get boundary gain. If the woofer is as close to the ceiling as it would have been to the floor, I wouldn't think there would be a difference in bass.

Like this (apologies to OP):