vintage turntables buying guide

so what's a list of say, the top 10-15 vintage turntables to be searching for in the $150-250 range? And with those models, what are the "gotchas" to look out for or understand as potential costs so that I can avoid the "$50 free goldfish" syndrome.

I don't have many records these days, but both my dad and father in law do - and I may be inclined to start grabbing what I can from half price books if I find myself with a decent turntable. Currently I have a late 90's AIWA turntable that came as part of "stereo in a box" package. I'd like to elevate my gear a bit to be more in tune with the rest of my gear.

You don't need to go any further than ONE vintage turntable: the Pioneer PL-518.

Listen to what Burgess Meredith had to say in this TV commercial:

Think of the budget that Pioneer had, that they could buy TV time for a record player! That ad cost them more to air than probably the total current sales of all turntables! Turntables used to sell by the millions, not just by the dozens that a mom and pop company handles nowadays.

This is a sleeper, a steal, ridiculously good for the tiny bit of money it'll cost you. Sometimes you can get one for less than $100.

They are prone to having bad feet after all these decades, but you can find them with excellent feet intact if you are patient.

I have two that I am fond of. The first is a Yamaha YP-B4 from the late 70s. I have my brothers that he bought new in college and moved many times around the country and even the world (career USAF). It needs a new belt from time to time but sounds great with and old Signet cart and never an issue. The second is the venerable Technics 1200 Mk.2. Built like a tank, made for over 25 years so there are lots of them, and sounds it great in my main system. One thing to consider in all this is the phono preamp. When I finally bought a good tube phono preamp it was a revelation.

so what's a list of say, the top 10-15 vintage turntables to be searching for in the $150-250 range? And with those models, what are the "gotchas" to look out for or understand as potential costs so that I can avoid the "$50 free goldfish" syndrome.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Turntables-What-should-you-buy_W0QQugidZ1000000000216152

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php

http://reviews.ebay.com/Turntables-What-should-you-buy_W0QQugidZ1000000000216152

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php

great resources! thanks.

I'll also look around at the other suggestions, thanks guys. I'll be stuck with my AVR phono pre for the foreseeable future. not ideal, but it's what I have to work with.

I'll be stuck with my AVR phono pre for the foreseeable future. not ideal, but it's what I have to work with.

Phono preamps: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/View-All-Phono-Preamps?sort1desc=F&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE

I can't say enough about my "almost free" garage sale find Thorens TD-160. Sold off my Dual CS-5000 after finding it. To me it's just that good, and supposed to be even better after some easy mods (which I still have yet to perform).

With a new belt, and a new Denon DL-110 cart I have about 170 bucks in it...including the price of the table.

Now don't get me wrong, finding a TD-160 in the corner of a garage aint an every day thing...but they are still an awesome table for the price you can easily find them for.

Think of the budget that Pioneer had, that they could buy TV time for a record player! That ad cost them more to air than probably the total current sales of all turntables! Turntables used to sell by the millions, not just by the dozens that a mom and pop company handles nowadays.

Very true. When is the last time you saw a TV comercial for anything but super mainstream products (used by almost everyone) type ad?

Pioneer made some great tables. I have a PL-41 that is an outstanding performer and one of my favorites. It is also one of the loudest (highest output) tables with the original OEM cartridge that I have.

the top 10-15 vintage turntables to be searching for in the $150-250 range?

I thought you were interested in vintage, not intro level?

i'm not understanding what you mean here.

I bought two Technics SL1200 MIIs for just under $400. I sold one for a hefty sum, making the one I have left under $50. Vintage and not intro for cheap. I need a new cartridge, but my older intro pioneer is still okay with me. My friend who bought the 1200 MKII from me is loving it.