Onkyo pr-sc5508 vs emotiva XMC-1

Scrappydue

Any thoughts on this? I would most likely by a refurb of the onkyo at around 1600 shipped. And I can get the emotiva when it comes out with a 5% military discount. So around 1425. The onkyo would also have an extended warranty since its a refurb. Any thoughts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrappy,

I think you meant the PR-SC885 and it is the first generation of Onkyo Pro's HDMI pre-pros. $1600.00 would be an insane price, even with warranty. It is a highly respected piece of gear but is 5 years old.

These are the 2nd generation HDMI Onkyo pre-pros.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/onkyo-pr-sc886-ht-preamplifier-processor-w-audyssey

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/onkyo-pr-sc886-home-theater-processor-pre-pro--4

If this is what you are referring to, I understand.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKPRSC5508/Onkyo-PR-SC5508-THX-Ultra2-Network-9.2ch-A/V-Processor/1.html

Bill

I would say the Onkyo. It has better DACs which is where the magic happens. It also has an extra two channels, a proven room correction system, and a lot more features. I would say if you do not have an Emotiva upgrade card and like all the extra features, go with the Onkyo. If you don't want the extra features, buy a UMC-1 just for the upgrade card and resell the UMC-1, possibly saving you 400-500$ depending on how much you can sell the UMC-1 for.

It also depends on how stable the XMC-1 is on release. It looks like a very good unit and has lots of processing power, hopefully making it easier for Emotiva to keep it current through firmware upgrades. The XMC-1 has a ton of potential, but as of right now, there are too many variables to tell. No one really knows how well the TACT room correction system it has will be, or how stable it will be, or even if it's already outdated right now because of the long time in development.

Edit: Check out This XMC-1 Podcast. It's actually got me pretty hyped up for it. With the ethernet port on the back and it running linux, the possibilities for adding support for different things and features seem endless. I have to wonder how committed Emotiva will be though, to keep adding more and more features.

The xmc has not been released so no way to compare as sound is what matters.I can't imagine any Onkyo could ever beat Emotiva at strictly sound, there is no magic in Onkyo sound.

I can't imagine any Onkyo could ever beat Emotiva at strictly sound, there is no magic in Onkyo sound.

Is the reason so many folks are down on Onkyo's 2-channel sound because it's sound is so close to neutral that it does not have a "signature" sound? No flame war being started here just curious what gives. I too agree somewhat with the masses because I replaced my Onkyo TX-SR705 HDMI receiver in my main setup with a 2004 model NAD T773 non-HDMI receiver because it had more "magic". I know I am not comparing apples to apples because the Onkyo is a lower mid level model with mid level DACS and internals where the NAD is a flagship model with flagship parts. With that said, I still do like my Onkyo gear very much.

Now getting back to the thread question, I would get the Onkyo PR-SC5508 over the Emotiva XMC-1 because of the proven track record and reliability that both the Onkyo's and Integra's have forged from the onset of their HDMI pre-pros. Onkyo/Integra have consistantly improved on well received very functional debut HDMI pre-pro's with the PR-SC885/DTC-9.8 models.

Bill

The xmc has not been released so no way to compare as sound is what matters.I can't imagine any Onkyo could ever beat Emotiva at strictly sound, there is no magic in Onkyo sound.

Somif this were going to be for a dedicated theater and not anything to do with music which everyone seems to think onyo does pretty good at, would you still pick the emo? I plan on having a dedicated 2 channel with all separate components once I am in a home. But right now on the streets only got room for the theater.

Somif this were going to be for a dedicated theater and not anything to do with music which everyone seems to think onyo does pretty good at, would you still pick the emo? I plan on having a dedicated 2 channel with all separate components once I am in a home. But right now on the streets only got room for the theater.

Remember that the PR-SC5508 is Onkyo's top dog pre-pro with all top tier DACS, processing, equalization, etc. With that said, it will sound considerably better than your average Onkyo receiver where I think Onkyo gets ripped on. Take a look on the Audiogon forum and do a search for Onkyo and Integra pre-pros and see the opinions. Many on that forum are "audiophile snobs" but seem to praise the Onkyo and Integra.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?bhome&1321734133&&&/INTEGRA-DHC-80-3-Surround-Processor

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?bhome&1324840598&read&keyw&zzintegra=dhc-80=2

Remember also, 2-channel performance can be vastly different based on which connections you are using, HDMI, digital coax, fiber optic or analog rca.

Bill

If your doing HT only I'd say the Onkyo is fine.But....why buy a fancy Onkyo, a cheaper one does just fine, any decent avr from any company can do good HT? To answer your question though, yes I would still take the Emo if it sounds as good as previous pre pros.There have been people on this very site that owned the high dollar Onkyos and tried the Emotiva and said it sounded better.Some people buy based on opinions, I buy based on sound.I encourage anyone to listen to every unit you can, then decide.

Just as a side note.In the last 10 years I have owned an Onkyo 656,777,989,702,805(two of them),605,606,608.Of these the 702 blowed a channel, the 805 burned an hdmi board, the 605 burned out fm radio, 608 burned out hdmi sockets.So...it,s not like they are flawless.Why did I buy em'? they were cheap, why else? I also had several Denons, never one problem, although they still sounded rather blah for music.

Again, it won't effect me one bit what you buy.My suggestion is to take the time to try every unit you can afford, you will learn more than you ever will from opinions.

• Moderators

Is the reason so many folks are down on Onkyo's 2-channel sound because it's sound is so close to neutral that it does not have a "signature" sound? No flame war being started here just curious what gives.

With my two Onkyo's, it wasn't they were too neutral, is that there just wasn't much separation of musical instruments. They all sort of blended together, not having their own unique and individual sound. That was my experience with 2ch. For HT, I absolutely loved it.

There have been people on this very site that owned the high dollar Onkyos and tried the Emotiva and said it sounded better.Some people buy based on opinions,

Isn't that statement about opinions? I am sure the Emotiva sounds fantastic and may be the better choice for 2-channel. I was just pointing out the very positive track record of the Onkyo/Integra pre-pros. Again also, connections and which piece of gear has better DACS, etc.(pre-pro or source) will help determine 2-channel performance.

Bill

There have been people on this very site that owned the high dollar Onkyos and tried the Emotiva and said it sounded better.Some people buy based on opinions,

Isn't that statement about opinions? I am sure the Emotiva sounds fantastic and may be the better choice for 2-channel. I was just pointing out the very positive track record of the Onkyo/Integra pre-pros. Again also, connections and which piece of gear has better DACS, etc.(pre-pro or source) will help determine 2-channel performance.

Bill

Well Bill, anything anyone thinks about audio is opinion.Opinion is fine, gives you some info, just don't buy anything based on it.Buy based on hearing the different units then picking the one you liked the best.

Well Bill, anything anyone thinks about audio is opinion.

Fish,

I didn't mean to sound so sarcastic, please accept my apology.

It is just really hard these days to go test drive multiple pieces of gear especially pre-pros and in the same room with the same sources and make a true objective decision.

Bill

I think the op was asking about the top of the line pre pro from onkyo. The 5508.

I have this unit. I bought it brand new from 6th ave for $1500 shipped. I'm not really seeing how a Emotiva product would sound better than a onkyo with audyssey xt32. Tia was the reason I bought it. Also most of us on this forum like the certain sound we are accustomed to. Audyssey is made to make the system flat. Most people dont like flat and never will. They like the shrill of highs.

To the op, no I would not pay 1600 for it refurbed.

I think the op was asking about the top of the line pre pro from onkyo. The 5508.

I have this unit. I bought it brand new from 6th ave for $1500 shipped. I'm not really seeing how a Emotiva product would sound better than a onkyo with audyssey xt32. Tia was the reason I bought it. Also most of us on this forum like the certain sound we are accustomed to. Audyssey is made to make the system flat. Most people dont like flat and never will. They like the shrill of highs.

To the op, no I would not pay 1600 for it refurbed.

Good point about XT32. Like it or not, Audyssey is the standard for EQ and this one does sub EQ to fix in-room response (something I have to do with REW and a miniDSP). Unless Emotiva licenses Audyssey, they will likely always be behind the curve in that department.

(One HDMI output? What are they thinking! I guess the monoprice splitter will be still required when you drop a screen in front of a TV.)