Amazon to start collecting NJ sales tax next year

What are the big-spending thieves in government going to do when they run out of other peoples' money to spend/steal?

"Our new Constitution is now
established, and has an appearance that promises permanency; but in this
world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

A letter to Jean-Baptiste Leroy (13 November 1789)

A compensating use tax is also imposed when taxable goods and services are purchased and New Jersey sales tax is either not collected or is collected at a rate less than New Jerseys sales tax rate. The use tax is due when such goods, or the goods on which taxable services are performed, come into New Jersey. If sales tax was paid to another state, the use tax is only due if the tax was paid at a rate less than New Jerseys rate.

Got a notice from Amazon in January that I would be required to pay state sales tax on my previous year purchases . Funny they didn't tell me that a year ago . Just gave me a by the way thing this year .

That is total horse crap. Sorry to hear that you are victim to government shenanigans. I would say that you have a good arguement for returning everything you bought from Amazon. They broke the contract price, so you should be able to exit the deal.

Got a notice from Amazon in January that I would be required to pay state sales tax on my previous year purchases . Funny they didn't tell me that a year ago . Just gave me a by the way thing this year .

That is total horse crap. Sorry to hear that you are victim to government shenanigans. I would say that you have a good arguement for returning everything you bought from Amazon. They broke the contract price, so you should be able to exit the deal.

When I did my taxes this year I looked it up , had to have a separate form for it . SC tax booklet stated that this is not a new thing the law was enacted in the '50's . Something to do with fair competition for local/state vendors . Ehh , I still saved money and luckily I only spent $650. through Amazon last year . Still sucks that I was not notified of this last year and that I live in Charleston which has the highest tax rate in the state .

I don't see how the money spent policing this can cover the amount of money collected.

But those are government jobs - that we need, right? The type of jobs that create wealth and therefore other jobs... [+o(]

Unfortunately the amounts of money involved are quite large and it highlights the core issue: how do we tax fairly? What is "fair" isn't what is being discussed, but rather what upsets the current state of affairs, i.e., local business can't defend themselves from states' taxation, but Amazon can since it is still illegal for people in one state to tax people or companies in other states.

Or is it? Taxes aimed at hotels and transportation, etc. are used to intercept people from other states to pay tax bills in their state. Police departments preferentially pick out license plates on cars that are not local to stop and ticket (...just go to Louisiana to verify this statement...). Maybe we should ask the question: what is the fairest way to tax? Is it sales tax? Income tax? Property tax? Personal possession tax?

Chris

what about the folks who sell their houses and use the equaity to pay off their bills then wind up with a capital gains tax as high or higher than the bills they were trying to pay off, then they go back into debt to pay the tax off. Or the poor mom and pop who struggle with small property all their life with the vision to leave it to their children when they pass away. Parents pass away and the assests are hit with an estate tax. The children can't afford the estate tax and wind up selling the house to cover the tax. parents vision is never fullfilled.

estate tax, what self serving rich folks wouldn't want that? this will ensure you maintain generations of enslaved laborers to do your bidding be it from the non existant middle class or the ever growing poverty class. Theres only one thing easier than taxing beer and smokes, and thats screwing dead people out of life savings, the real reality is most folks will outlive any savings anyway and the nursing homes or caregivers will take every cent out of that house before the govt gets a whiff of it, but dont worry they will still get theres taxing the death homes.

What are the big-spending thieves in government going to do when they run out of other peoples' money to spend/steal?

I guess the first 15 trillion didn't matter much in this regard whats stopping the next 15 trillion? and both sides will vote in another pay increase for themselves, ours did on the local and state level already but it was okay to cut us nearly 20% because "were broke"

• 1 month later...