My Klipschorns

neo33

I have finally got my dream speakers.

Serveral months ago, I acquired an early 1978 pair of Klipschorn in raw birch with beautiful walnut finish, alnico magnets and AA crossovers in near-flawless cosmetic condition still wrapped in their original open boxes for $1,000. Since I was on the run with my job for the most part, I did not have time until recently to listen to these Klipschorns.

First impression: The Klipschorns are so huge that they make all of my other Heritage speakers puny in comparison. They have such a HUGE soundstage that at 15' apart, they simply disappear leaving me seating in front of the entire ensemble and I can pick out every single instrument. The bass is tight, strong and authoritative, the best I have ever heard in the Heritage series. The highs are crisp and the midranges are luscious and emotional. Despite of having the same alnico tweeters, midrange drivers and AA networks as my La Scalas, the Klipschorn are much more fluid. For the first time, I hear music like I have never heard before. Sitting about 12' away, I had the volume dial at 1/8 position on my tiny 3.5 WPC SET amp and it was LOUD. I was so drawn into the music and played one vinyl after another that eight hours passed before I even realized it. My immediate thought after: Why did I wait for so long to get a pair? I am going to sell all of my speakers and buy more klipschorns.

Thanks for the review. My journey brought me to the same conclusion. No other speaker I tried has matched up to khorns. The others still very good though. chorus 2's, forte 2's, heresies, cornwalls. Have not tried la scalas.

Neo33, are your AA crossovers original?

welcome to my world [;)]

Now, just imagine when you are finally able to get those babys 25-30 feet apart. They have the power to handle that.

For your next assignment, make the room disappear too and you will have created a "transporter" of sorts.

And of course then you could always add four of those subs you recommended. [Y] Thanks for bringing those to my attention.

The Khorns and Moondogs are a Great Combination, as I also have a Set. One thing you might want to do is build a Set of Type "A" crossovers, which I believe sound better than AAs. Also It would not hurt to have some Fresh Capacitors.

Also, If you have enough room to "buy more klipschorns", your might want to consider getting a pair of Jubliees. Others here have said that they are a step above Khorns. Have not heard them myself.

Thanks for the review. My journey brought me to the same conclusion. No other speaker I tried has matched up to khorns. The others still very good though. chorus 2's, forte 2's, heresies, cornwalls. Have not tried la scalas.

Neo33, are your AA crossovers original?

You wouldn't be able to say that anymore after hearing some Jubillee Khorns. It took PWK 50 years to improve on the Khorn, and he did.

I got these Klipschorns at a local estate sale. The young lady told me that she was helping her mom to sell the property after her dad passed away. She showed me four boxes, two tall and two short, and said these were his dad prized possesion. I asked her if these are new Klipschorns and she answered "what are Klipshorns?". I told her these speakers are called Klipschorns and showed her the short boxes contained the top bins and the tall boxes contained the bass bins. I asked her why they are in their boxes and she couldn't tell me. I opened all four boxes to inspect the contents and they seemed almost brand new. I asked her if I can test them but she said there isn't any equipment available. I paid her and hauled the boxes into my 4X4 with the dolly I borrowed from her and drove home. I was gonna try to assemble the speakers that day but work got the best of me as I have to leave for a business trip that evening.

What's the story with the speakers being in their shipping cartons since 1978? You may have dealt with someone eccentric.

The only Jubilees I can find is the KPT Cinema series. There is no Heritage Jubilees.

Also, If you have enough room to "buy more klipschorns", your might want to consider getting a pair of Jubliees. Others here have said that they are a step above Khorns. Have not heard them myself.

Serveral months ago, I acquired an early 1978 pair of Klipschorn in raw birch with beautiful walnut finish, alnico magnets and AA crossovers in near-flawless cosmetic condition still wrapped in their original open boxes for $1,000. Since I was on the run with my job for the most part, I did not have time until recently to listen to these Klipschorns.

First impression: The Klipschorns are so huge that they make all of my other Heritage speakers puny in comparison. They have such a HUGE soundstage that at 15' apart, they simply disappear leaving me seating in front of the entire ensemble and I can pick out every single instrument. The bass is tight, strong and authoritative, the best I have ever heard in the Heritage series. The highs are crisp and the midranges are luscious and emotional. Despite of having the same alnico tweeters, midrange drivers and AA networks as my La Scalas, the Klipschorn are much more fluid. For the first time, I hear music like I have never heard before. Sitting about 12' away, I had the volume dial at 1/8 position on my tiny 3.5 WPC SET amp and it was LOUD. I was so drawn into the music and played one vinyl after another that eight hours passed before I even realized it. My immediate thought after: Why did I wait for so long to get a pair? I am going to sell all of my speakers and buy more klipschorns.

Congratulations! Sure seems like a great find! Now for the obligatory request…..

post-38331-1381973627243_thumb.jpg

post-38331-1381976694889_thumb.jpg

post-38331-13819793911038_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! Sure seems like a great find! Now for the obligatory request…..

Funny! I hadn't seen that one!