La Scalas Still Sound a little bright and harsh

Gorm

I just can't seem to get my newly redone La Scalas to sound just right. Currently here is my setup:

1979 La Scalas

Crites CT125 Tweeters

K-55-M Mid

Tratrix Drop-In Wood Horns - These things rock!

Crites A/4500 crossovers.

Bins were cross braced and grilled over as part of the resoration.

Woofers are factor Klipsch. The part number escapes me at the momnet, they were in very good condition when inspected during restoration.

Current Amp Setup: (Not a big tube sound guy)

Emotiva USP-1

EMotiva UPA-2

Logitech Squeezebox Duet

Klipsch RSW-10D for below 60 HZ. (Soon to be RSW-12)

I love the sound out of the speakers at lower volumes, however at higher volumes it seems to be blaring, and just harsh. I have a feeling this is due to the mid range. I have explored the possibility of going with ALK Universals instead of the A/4500.

IDK...maybe I just shouldn't listen to my music too loud. :)

What do you guys think?

what is the room size & height and shape and where are the speakers positioned relative to the listening area in that room. Some rooms are just too small for LaScala's and some room shapes are too tunnel like and un fortunately alot of folks try to run LaScala's on one end or the other of the tunnel. If you want to determine if the problem is with your LaScala's, take them out side and place them 22 feet apart and stand 22 feet away from them.....

I know Emotiva gear is highly regarded on this forum but I found that my La Scalas and K-horns could sound unbearably bright and harsh with certain SS amps. The best sounding SS gear I have is vintage late 1970s Yamaha. Sony and Adcom amps, which I have used and liked with other speakers did not work for me with these. This could be partly the issue, everyone has different ears and tastes. Tubes has been the right match for me.

Possible, at this point I'm not sure. As I said, its only at the higher volumes, at lower volumes they sound excellent.

Another thing I'm going to do when I get home is raise the speakers about 4 inches off the floor. The sound stage is just a little too low as the tweeter is just slightly below ear level when I sit down. I'm not sure what this will do to improve the sound, although I'm sure it will cut the bass back a bit.

Another thing I'm going to do when I get home is raise the speakers about 4 inches off the floor. The sound stage is just a little too low as the tweeter is just slightly below ear level when I sit down. I'm not sure what this will do to improve the sound, although I'm sure it will cut the bass back a bit.

I raised mine 6 inches (homemade 3/4 inch birch plywood box, open on the bottom) and it really improved imaging and overall sound. I expected to loose base but didn't, probably because they are tucked so nicely into the corner. I would post a pic but the forum server keeps timing out before the pic loads!

its only at the higher volumes, at lower volumes they sound excellent.

This is a strong indication that the room is causing the problem. A room can only take so much acoustic power before it starts to sound congested. Treated rooms will sound better than untreated, really "live" ones. It is not necessary to use studio acoustic treatments as most rooms can be tamed sufficiently to reduce problems. Carpet or rugs on the floor, soft cloth covered furniture, pillows on furniture, drapes, etc. will help a great deal.

When I had Lascalas they were in a 12 X 26 ft. room. I achieved the best results with the speakers spaced 12 feet apart on the long wall, toed in and aimed at the listening position, a board under the front to angle the horns up toward the listening chair which was near the back wall. Try moving the speakers around the room until you find the best spot. I feel that it is important to toe the speakers in and not aim them straight at the back wall.

They are currently towed just slightly so that each tweeter is aimed to the other side of the listening position. I felt this was an improvement over the directly at the listening position.

I'll have to grab some pictures tonight when I get home so you guys have a better idea.

its only at the higher volumes, at lower volumes they sound excellent.

This is a strong indication that the room is causing the problem. A room can only take so much acoustic power before it starts to sound congested. Treated rooms will sound better than untreated, really "live" ones. It is not necessary to use studio acoustic treatments as most rooms can be tamed sufficiently to reduce problems. Carpet or rugs on the floor, soft cloth covered furniture, pillows on furniture, drapes, etc. will help a great deal.

When I had Lascalas they were in a 12 X 26 ft. room. I achieved the best results with the speakers spaced 12 feet apart on the long wall, toed in and aimed at the listening position, a board under the front to angle the horns up toward the listening chair which was near the back wall. Try moving the speakers around the room until you find the best spot. I feel that it is important to toe the speakers in and not aim them straight at the back wall.

I use 1" 3-ring binders, tucked under the front of the La Scalas. It tilts it up just enough to sound better!

...and I didn't have to build anything!! [;)]

Dennie

Lifting the speakers on 2x4s made them sound far worse.

I also couldn't tell much of a difference by lifting them slightly in the front...oh well.

I think I will invest in an equalizer to take out the room, that seems to be the problem at this point.

earlier in the thread we gave a thumbs down to placing lascala's on one of the short walls so that they point down to the other short wall......the tunnel effect.....it sounds like thats what you are doing.....if so...that will never work out.

earlier in the thread we gave a thumbs down to placing lascala's on one of the short walls so that they point down to the other short wall......the tunnel effect.....it sounds like thats what you are doing.....if so...that will never work out.

Even if the room is not conducive to the speakers on the long wall, try it to rule that out. I think that's a bit part of the problem.

How loud do you want it and what kind of music?

I think Dennis has made the better suggestion. I changed the settings on the autoformer, which tamed some harshness and balanced out the bass a great amount. My living room is about 13 x 21. Placed on the long wall just didn't work. Even when I put them on the shorter wall, I had mine closer together, about 4 to 4 1/2 feet apart, but a couple of feet from the back wall. Imaging was superb and presented a much wider sound stage than you would think.

Bruce

Well I went ahead and swapped the original AA crossovers back into the La Scalas. The harshness is all but gone. The only real time I can detect harshness now is when I'm just playing them to loud to sustain. At Low-mid volumes they sound great. The AAs and the wood horns seem to be a pretty nice combo. There is a minor loss of clarity which is noticeable on vocals, probably due to the crossover ages. However they still sound very good. I also noticed that the bass became a bit louder and more pronounced than how it was with the Crites 4500...not sure whats going on there, I wouldn't think there would be a difference at all in that department.

Maybe the A/4500 just aren't a good combo with the wood horns?

I'm thinking of having a pair of ALK universals built for them now...