Major Microsoft announcement 18 June 1800 CST

USNRET

loads Autocad Release 12 in about half a secon

Don,

The ONLY way it could possibly open release 12 in half a second is if you never got out of AutoCAD, You would have to leave the program running for it to do that. I ain't buying the half second stuff.....sorry......again, I am certainly not opposed to starting a new AutoCAD thread and we can bump heads all we want.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll stay out of the head bumping. Some folks hear God talking directly to them and others hear a massive improvement in their systems with a new power cord. The only messages I get from God come in the mail and new power cords don't seem to do a thing for Myron Floren records...

I've learned to state my experience and accept others at face value. DR's a pretty level headed guy.

Dave

In 1989 I was running ACAD on a 10mhz XT with a math co-processor, 20mb HDD. Think I paid around a grand for it all told. Can't believe I just happen to have this picture of my home office in Singapore from then... Of course, that isn't ACAD running. Starflight, I think. Good ol RGB. Certainly don't miss THAT!

Can't remember the version, but nowhere near 12. OTOH, like DR, I was only doing P&E work, no 3D. 12 was the last release I used and the additions really never added much I needed.

Loved that program! Since you worked with them, you should be please that I still believe DOS AutoCAD to be one of the finest pieces of code ever written. On the rare occasion when it crashed I do not recall ever losing so much as a keystroke of work...

VERY well behaved.

Dave

post-9494-13819737965964_thumb.png

post-9494-1381976862273_thumb.png

post-9494-13819795636432_thumb.png

Dave,

In 89 it would have been Release 10 which by a lot of AutoCAD users thinking, was the BEST release to date. It offered some really exciting improvements over 9 and it was around for almost five years, which by todays standards is an eternity....While todays programs still use DOS variants, the original DOS was very user friendly and it could be trouble shot very easily. I think C++ while great has made it more difficult for the average user. In AuroCAD, the LISP ruled as you could macro your way to heaven....! GREAT picture...!

W. C.

I don't think they had 200 mHz machines in 89, of course, I could be wrong...............anyway,the later machines loaded much faster.

1994 the first pentiums, running up to 100Mhz. The 486DX (with integral math coprocessor) chips were released in '89. I think there were some of the 486DX chips that ran at 100 Mhz, but not higher.

I know you could almost read the lines of a directory listing on a stock 4.77 Mhz PC it scrolled sooooo slowly.

Bruce

The ONLY way it could possibly open release 12 in half a second is if you never got out of AutoCAD, You would have to leave the program running for it to do that. I ain't buying the half second stuff.....

I'm not at work now so I can't time it... it might be 1 second. [:D] In '89 you could speed up ACAD by running it off a ramdrive and then release 10 would load very quickly. The machine I described that we currently use as a workstation was a Windows 95 computer reformatted and loaded with DOS 5, 64 megs of RAM, Genoa graphics accelerator card with max RAM onboard. We started with Release 10 and upgraded to 11 then 12 as a final upgrade. I have it set up store any new or modified dwg. on two different hard drives and on floppy disc upon exiting. It takes much longer to exit Autocad on our setup than it does to load it. In any event it's much faster to load ACAD on it than on our newer Windows computers.

Don,

I love how you produce all of the Caviats after slamming me...........anyway, if you or anyone else wants to challenge me about AutoCAD or the progression of computers from their Infancy, PLEASE start another thread...as ALL of us have done enough Hijacking of this one...I will participate in ANY thread about computers and expicially about the hiarichy of AutoCAD and Autodesk......This could be FUN......! We ALL have knowledge, it is just a bit tough to put dates with the technology as it changes sooooooo fast....!

No harm...NO foul....!

Please, read what I wrote. I never said I had a 200 mHz computer in '89. Here is what I wrote:

" I'll have to say Dave is right on with what he said. We still use a 200 mHz computer running under DOS 5 as an Autocad workstation around here. The computer boots in 13 seconds and loads Autocad Release 12 in about half a second. It will do 3D but we don't use the 3D features as we mostly generate wiring diagrams, ladder diagrams and electrical schematics. This machine has given us no trouble in the last 15 years or so. I wish I could say the same about the Windows based computers we have with Autocad installed."

Then I expanded and attempted to clarify:

"The machine I described that we currently use as a workstation was a Windows 95 computer reformatted and loaded with DOS 5, 64 megs of RAM, Genoa graphics accelerator card with max RAM onboard. We started with Release 10 and upgraded to 11 then 12 as a final upgrade. I have it set up to store any new or modified dwg. on two different hard drives and on floppy disc upon exiting. It takes much longer to exit Autocad on our setup than it does to load it. In any event it's much faster to load ACAD on it than on our newer Windows computers."

I never said anyone had a 64 meg ramdrive in '89. This is what I wrote:

" In '89 you could speed up ACAD by running it off a ramdrive and then release 10 would load very quickly."

That, sir, is a fact.

And where did I slam you? All I did was agree with Dave and try to show that DOS software on a newer, faster computer can load and run ACAD faster than on our Windows machines. And if one can ever get a tablet to run ACAD the '89 machine, set up properly, would probably be faster or as fast (not a proven fact, that's just my opinion)

I checked up on my date, and she's just about ready so I'm gonna pick her up and we're going to get something to eat. Outta here [:D][:D][:D]

Dave,

I am going to keep this short as I do not want to get into a debate on this. I will let have your opinion and leave it at that.

This is the FIRST time that I have ever quoted myself.....START a NEW thread if you want to discuss the History of Comnputers and discuss AutoCAD and Autodesk.......we can NOT comntinue to Hijack this thread........

BTW....ENJOY the DATE.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D] and Good Luck......[6]

W. C.