LaScallas on ebay.

Mike Lindsey,

I live 20 mins from Pompano, I own '84 LaScalas w/ the same xovers and grille cloth. I would be happy to drive up and take a look/listen at these speakers for you tomorrow (Sun.). Let me know ASAP if you are interested.

Dave Ungurait

DLUngurait@aol.com

(954) 434-4586

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Thanks for the offer. Colin Flood took a look/listen to them yesterday for me. Just out of curiosity, what are your opinions of this speaker? Do you feel the crossover networks are inferior to some of the earlier crossovers for this speaker?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I wouldn't worry about the networks. I've have AA, AL, and AL3's. The only one's I changed were the AA's. I changed everything in that pair to match my AL's and AL3's and the reason was because I wanted all the drivers to match. K77-M, K55-M, K33-E.

I never did a side by side listening test between the networks because I don't believe that there is a big difference. I have extra AA's AL's and ALK networks. I need to order another AL3 from Klipsch before they stop making them,$300.00. To be honest I think that I like the AL3's the best.

I would buy those LaScalas for $1100.00. If I was to sell you a pair of mine I wouldn't let them go for less then that. Hit the buy it now it's in driving distance. It might be a long wait for another pair.

I traveled 300 miles for my pair of AK3 Klipschorns.

100 miles for my AK2 Klipschorns. The LaScalas were all with in 75 miles. One pair I bought new from a dealer.

I still check my local paper everyday for them.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Mike,

Glad Colin was able to check those out for you. Are you going to try to bid on them? If so good luck!

As for the xovers...well...I've heard all the same comments. I'm not knowledgable enough to talk about xover design but I will say the type AL seems overly complicated compared to some of the others I've seen. If you do end up buying these speakers I wouldn't make any immediate plans for changing out the xovers. You'll need to listen to them for a long while so that you be able to appreciate any future upgrade. In fact I'll bet it takes you alittle time to get used to the sound of the LaScalas since you've been listening to Chorus and Cornwalls I believe. The LaScalas will not go anywhere near as low but...You will eventually notice the very tight mid/upper bass. When a well recorded kicked drum is played through my LaScalas, it can feel like someone's hitting my chest

Good Luck

Dave

Mike,

Just as Dave(DLUngurait) said...the Cornwall has MORE low-end bass EXTENSION than the LaScala does. BUT, with the LaScala(or Belle), the bass you hear has much more CLARITY due to the HORN-LOADING of the woofer section.

Even though the low-end extension isn't quite there, in relation to the Cornwall, you will definitely get a different experience from that horn-loading!! It may take some getting used to, though! For me, I much prefer horn-loaded bass to ported-enclosure bass...and I have to admit, that I like both the Cornwall AND the LaScala bass...they are basically just different sides of the same coin to my ears!!

You will definitely notice a difference between the two speakers when you are comparing mid- and upper-bass from musical instruments on recordings played through them using the same equipment!! Oboes are a good example!!

One thing I have noticed over the years is the tendency of owners of both the Cornwall and the LaScala to have an increased desire for Klipschorns after listening to both the Cornwall and LaScala side-by-side!! Eventually these owners desire the COMBINATION of the clarity of the horn-loading of the LaScalas with the lower-end bass extension of the Cornwalls...and find that both are found in the Klipschorn!!

Besides, if you really feel the need for more bottom-end extension, you can always grab a sub-woofer to provide it, until the day you finally get some Klipschorns, can't you? Smile.gif

Looking into my little crystal ball...I can see you heading for K-horns sometime in your future!! Eenie-Meanie, Chili-Beanie, the spirits are about to speak!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I used Mobile's eBay bidding principles and it worked like a charm. Smile.gif The guy left me an Email asking me how I wanted to pick them up, so I guess he's gonna let me have them for the high bid price. I'll let you know for sure when I talk to him. Anyway, as of right now, I'm pretty stoked. Biggrin.gif

Mike

I got my last pair of klipschorns that way. I made sure that I was high bidder without the reserve being met. I receaved an email from the seller the next day asking me if I was willing to negotiate. We agreed on a price, and I had the chance to refuse to take them or lower the price if I found something wrong with them.

Now you don't have a binding contract with ebay so you can still negotiate while you check them out.

Bring cash, and let him know you have the cash with you. It will be hard for him to let you walk away for one or two hundred bucks.

This worked for me on a few items.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Thanks Rob! Wow, three people watching the bidding on a pair of speakers they weren't even bidding on! You guys have way too much time on your hands! Smile.gif Can't wait to get these things and I'm sure you feel the same way, Rob. What perfect timing all the way around...

Mike