discontinued RF-7's

FSTMRFR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the question on that note is.... I have vaulted ceilings in my house, I want to mount at top of wall where vault on ceiling starts... is flush mounting with key holes alight, or do I want a bracket to mount so I can angle towards seating area.... if the preferred method is flush high, then I am good... please let me know...

I still would like pictures of the backs of speakers....

The most correct answer is angled towar the listener(s). I have my surrond flush with the wall since they are the surround speaker and look nicer that way. They work very well in and I am satiisfied. The RS 7 are much bigger speaker than I have.

• Moderators

The most correct answer is angled towar the listener(s).

Respectfully, I would have to disagree. Back in the days of Dolby Prologic, that's how we did it. Put them in the corners up high, angle them down and in towards your listening area (kind of make a triangle between the speakers and your listening position).

if the preferred method is flush high, then I am good... please let me know...

With the new HD audio formats, both THX and Dolby recommend mounting them 2-3 ft above your ears and flush on the wall. If you can mount them flush around 2-3 ft on the side walls, about 10 degrees behind your LP, that's where you want to mount them.

As you can see below, I originally had RB-35's as bask surrounds. Because of the door opening, the only place I could mount them was up close to the ceiling (10ft high). Although they were angled down 10 degrees (max angle of the mount), I rarely heard them. I have since removed them and the RS-52's sound fantastic where they are.

Back_Wall_small.jpg

Unfortunately, we don't always have that space available on our walls or do not have a wall there to mount them to. That's where we have to make compromises (which isn't always a bad thing) or like in my situation, you have to get creative and had my friend build me a steel mount to secure my RS-52's in front of a double sliding glass door.

bracket1.jpg

rs-52_7.jpg

your set up is FREAKIN awesome!!! wow.........................

.... on the real subject... thx for the info... I will do that... flush mounted approx 2-3 feet above head.... would hate to find out the hard way... and wind up doing it again... so thx for setting me up for success... :)

• Moderators

Thank you for the kind words. Our family and friends enjoy it very much. It took 2 years to get it to where it is today. Took my time, looked for sweet deals on Craigslist, bartered for services and gear etc.

You are quite welcome. That's what we are here for. To learn from each other. I know there are many things I had to learn the hard way....wish someone would have saved me the headache. LOL

On July 2 you said that you bought them. Are you still waiting on shipping or did you get them picked up already?

I got sucked into this thread and have been curious which RF-7s you ended up with. And even more curious if you have listened to them yet.

:)

the guy just drove them from out of state to deliver them to me...well my buddy.. I am active duty military deployed to afghanistan right now... he just got them last night and should be taking pictures for me in the next couple of days... although he did say they look EXCELLENT... and I STOLE THEM AT THAT PRICE... 1100 shipped for 2x RF-7, 2xRS-7's, 1xRC-7, a Yamaha receiver RX-V1000 (which I will not be using) and MISC cables and wires... so no I dont have them currently, or listened to them at this time... wish I did... have a ton of stuff for my system 2 SVS PB12-NSD's, Onkyo TX-NR809, 73" TV (3D), Furman power line conditioner, Onkyo Blueray player and media server 4TB (wireless) for my FLAC and vids :) ... I am in the learning stages of this stuff... and my buddy is already deep into this... he has been helping me out while forcing homework on me... LOL.... learned alot... but still learning ... better sound bad ***, and look bad *** too...

guess I never actually said.. I have NO idea which ones they are at the current time frame... still wondering that myself....

all I know is that the picture I received...not great quality looks like plastic front, black veneer...

and the guy is original owner of them.. didnt tell me when he purchased them.. but he lives in an appartment complex... so I know the system was not played loudly... and the receiver only puts out 100 watts rms/ch and thoes are good to over twice that... so... I am still standing by on that note....

I think so too.. Considering, he went to UPS to ship them and they told him
it would over $1000 to ship them...LOL... so it was cheaper to drive them..
from over 2 states away!!! LOL.... I figured it would be around 3-400
shipping.... so that would mean I bought them for 7-800... which is a ridiculous
deal!!!

I bought them on ebay... LOL.... here is the link
to what I bought... you tell me what you think... has some minor cosmetic
damage... but can be fixed... makes me thing that the scratch on the front of
RF-7 cabinet says WOOD (as in CLASSIC Klipsch) as opposed to plastic (ORIGINAL
Klipsch)... now that I think about it...

and I was the only bidder....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261052334549?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Congrats on the 7's. Yes that is a killer deal. That's what I paid for just a set of RF 7's last month and I picked them up.

By the label in the E bay add they are the black satin models; the color does not affect the sound.

They do require plenty of power, I had a set of Belle's prior to getting the 7's, have to turn the volume up a considerable amount to get close to what the Belle's sounded like.

A good friend has had a set for years; he has not held back on the volume level, we know his teen age son had several parties with them blaring for hours. They sound just as good now as they did when they were new.

You will be very pleased with them espically with the deal you got.

Bill

GO HOGS

that is awesome... just what I want to hear... and definately good to know... the receiver I got puts 135watts per channel... hoping that is enough power to push them the into the great sound quality volume range.... is there anything out there that measure wattage pushed from the system, that is either a digital display or analog?

It might be easier to look at benchmarks that others have done for your model of receiver. The more channels you are driving at once, the lower it will be. Sometimes it could get down below to around half what it says. The RF-7s will sound very good with that kind of power, but there is always room for improvement. I know Youthman had a pretty good write up comparing them to the RF-83's, and he thought the RF-7's didn't sound as good as the 83's, but when he added better components, the RF-7's started to come alive and actually sounded better than the RF-83's. I think the moral of the story is the RF-7's will sound great with what you have, especially compared with what you had before, but there is still going to be a lot of room for improvement later on if you wish.