Shared Organ Files...let me know if this works

Mallette

If you have an interest in pipe organ, the files at this link are Bradley Hunter Welch, winner of the 5th Dallas Int'l Organ Competition, playing the instrument at my old parish in Lewisville, TX. They are large, 24/88.2 files and unedited. You should get the whole concert in file order as numbered.

Issue is whether this Pogoplug thing works or not, which I'd like to know. You should be able to select and hit "Download" and get them without a password or anything. Works for me, but that isn't the issue...

http://ppl.ug/_-m0N5OAAWg/

Dave

My experience: first file (#3) 9min :36 sec downloaded fine. The others downloaded but gave an error when trying to play.

Bummer. They are all solid here. Transporter accident...

Let's see how others do. If you like the one you got, perhaps give it another shot.

Dave

You know, gents, I haven't downloaded these to check myself. If there are continued issues I'll give it a check tomorrow. As an oilfield guy, it's bedtime for Dave as dark thirty comes early...

Thanks for the help!

Hope you get at least a little something interesting out of it and I can troubleshoot it until it's working correctly. I gotta a lot of such files...

Dave

Went ahead and checked. Only 3 and 4 are actually there. I will correct and let you know. For now, leave it at that. I note that the "Download" function on W7 will report a filesize if it's really there. Otherwise, it will ask if you want to download but report no file size.

If I were half here I'd have noticed only 609 mb used...consistent with only a couple of these high res files. I'll have another go tomorrow evening at getting the rest up and actually confirm they are there before wasting your time...

Sorry about that.

Dave

Okies, guys, for something entirely different...

I uploaded and verified the byte count of a couple of files, 8-2a and 8-2b, that you can try. These are downsamples of the second show of the "Asylum Street Spankers" performance I recorded in '02 in Austin. They use no electric anything even for the vocals. The recording was down with ribbon mics, 4 of them in surround, at 24/192. I was insane at the time, but have since gotten better. This set was downsampled from my second "alibi" recorder that was at 24/88.2 on only the LR channels. However, I think the downsample went pretty well since it was an even number. You be the judge.

Some interesting stuff, but my favorite is the arrangement/performance of "St. James Infirmary" which is a piece I love anyway. I think this one is one of the best I've ever heard.

I'll re-upload the rest of the Welch concert tonight unless something gets in the way.

Dave

Hmmm... I see a list of 5 files, named Sound 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 (.wav).

Download results:
Sound 3.wav -- Completes (290 MB)
Sound 4.wav -- Always fails at 15.7 MB / 284 MB
Sound 5.wav -- Completes (50.5 MB)
Sound 7.wav -- Always fails at 5.0 MB / 301.8 MB
Sound 8.wav -- Always fails at 306.0 MB / 340.4 MB

There's something strange about the web page as well. In
Firefox (version 13.0.1), clicking on the file names or the Download button
did nothing, and the browser-based player (HTML 5?) doesn't work. The Epiphany
browser (Webkit) works, though.

In any case, thanks for sharing this. I'll see if I can figure out anything
else with Firefox on my end.

Some interesting stuff, but my favorite is the arrangement/performance of
"St. James Infirmary" which is a piece I love anyway. I think this one is
one of the best I've ever heard.

Your St. James Infirmary recording has become one of my favorite demo
tracks. I've brought it to RMAF the last couple of years and received
many questions and compliments. I think the best I've ever heard it, in
terms of realism, was on the Vandersteen Model 7s in a large suite.

- Bill
  • Like 1

Wooo...Thanks, Bill. I am rather fond of that one as well. However, I am wondering if you saw the files or not as I can't know what the link allows. Were you able to go up one directory to where those are?

I like this Pogoplug concept and the price is really right. I have a personnel 2tb drive I can now access reliably from anywhere. But the "cloud" drive appears to have problems and I am convinced they are with the service. I'll start a dialog with them soon to see if they can help.

I've reuploaded these files several times and still have one, 8, that I haven't been able to get a successful return on. Thanks for your specifics as that's much more useful than "It doesn't work." Sound 5 shows as good now as I replaced the one reported as 50mb.

As soon as the byte counts are good I'll try downloading myself to see if they are intact.

BTW, this organ concert is an excellent "learning" piece for those who would like to hear a pipe organ concert built around selections made to illustrate all the various components of that specific organ. The Skinner strings on this instrument brought tears to the eyes of one organ lover, and many more are trully beautiful. Welch's selections are also very, very broad range.

Dave

Couldn't use Firefox but IE worked.

Download results:
Sound 3.wav -- Completes (290 MB)
Sound 4.wav -- Always fails at 15.7 MB / 284 MB
Sound 5.wav -- Completes (50.5 MB) (Is the the Mendelssohn? It's really nice, but only 140 MB instead of 597 listed.)

Sound 7.wav -- Always fails at 5.0 MB / 301.8 MB (this shows as Sound 7.wav.y9v2ovr and I'm guessing it's because it is a partial file.)

Sound 8.wav -- Always fails at 306.0 MB / 340.4 MB (says it finished, but is zero bytes)

Bruce

First, "THANK YOU!" to Bill for providing an in depth analysis. I forwarded it along with my own thoughts to Pogoplug support. Like Bill, I find the promise of this device very attractive. Port forwarding and such to put drives on line is a nuisance and has never reallly been "civilized." I told them that I was quite please with the device at 50 bucks just for getting my 2tb drive on line and easily accessible. That part is working fine. However, much as I love you guys I am not about to open my whole life up, so getting the cloud thing working would be very nice.

I'll report back here or in a new thread once it's worked out.

I've quite a few more things I can share if we can get it working.

Dave

Got a quick response from support and am in touch.

Meanwhile, I moved the "Spankers" files into the Welch directory as Bill indicated the link was only to the Welch directory.

I'll report back when something happens...

Dave