Other forums with a general discussion of all horn type speakers?

MikeFord

Discussion here is great for Klipsch, but I am wondering if there are some good forums of a more general horn nature, maybe with some DIY orientation?

I visit DIYaudio from time to time, but not much of a horn crowd. I'd like to see some discussion of various drivers, horns, horn materials, see if many are actually actively doing stuff.

Good site, but too cookbook this is how its done, not enough squawker and tweeter discussion. I'd like to learn more about various drivers, modifications like damping, with a focus on SQ. Different types of horns and horn materials etc.

Not being a smarta$$, did you try the library? A good book or two by some top people in the field will take you way farther than most internet folk (Although there are some seriously talented people out there).

Claimed Tuba 24...

Dennis, I assume that you are showing the "after" measurements in-room, right?

I found similar but not nearly as pronounced differences with the Danley TH-SPUD design tested outside on the ground in the middle of a field (+/- 2 dB down to 17 Hz) and significant dual peaking response (+10 dB at 35 Hz) in my room in the corners. However, I didn't see a general shift in overall response upward from claimed vs. measured response. That is something that has my eyebrows up a bit. That shouldn't happen if the design was tested - even outside in half space.

Would anyone here care to move over, part-time, to the DIYAudio site?

I ran into followers of Geddes (and Geddes himself) over there, and had trouble defending my arguments against the weight of response (not necessarily the validity). Not that I believe that Geddes is wholly wrong in his papers, etc., but I do think he holds a significantly different view of audibility of modulation distortion than I do--and a few other authors that have written JAES papers on the subject, including PWK.

It would be nice to have one or two others that have heard the cleanness of Khorn, La Scala, Belle, and Jub bass bins vs. direct radiators chime in there. Additionally, the "oblate spheroid" quadratic throat horn midrange/tweeter horn folks seem to be feeding a bit too much on theory and a little to little on listening to the results.

I'd like to see knowledgeable horn-loaded loudspeaker folks from this forum over in the DIYAudio multiway loudspeaker forum (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/) to help offset some of the crazy claims about inaudibility of the differences between, say a Cornwall bass bin sound and a Khorn bass bin, for instance. Otherwise, there seems to be some knowledgeable folks there that try out different designs.

Chris

"I assume that you are showing the "after" measurements in-room, right?"

They're actual 50 foot ground-plane measurements (Danley style).

The point is that the BFM graphs bear little resemblance to actual use outside, or in a large room.

"Would anyone here care to move over, part-time, to the DIYAudio site? "

I'm there on a regular basis, Solid-state and Subwoofers. Send me a note if you start a thread elsewhere, I'm djk there too (_djk_ at Speaker Plans).

"I ran into followers of Geddes (and Geddes himself) over there, and had trouble defending my arguments against the weight of
response (not necessarily the validity). Not that I believe that
Geddes is wholly wrong in his papers, etc., but I do think he holds a
significantly different view of audibility of modulation distortion than
I do--and a few other authors that have written JAES papers on the
subject, including PWK."

I am not a Geddes fan, I helped run him out of the AA High Efficiency forum. I suspect that he 'can't hear', which is a brain processing function (meaning he is not deaf).