anyone know how to split a La Scala?

best way is to use a router with a plunge bit, the type with the bearing at the end of the bit. the way it works is the bearing rides the the floor of the horn/crossover section area and you walk the router around the cab. The end result is a cut that is flush with the floor of the crossover/horn section. make sure you get a plunge bit with the bearing at the end. there are two types. the one with the bearing in the middle will not work.

I find it's best to get the 3 fluted bits instead of the 2 fluted type

the blades stay sharper longer on the 3 plus they just cut better , with less effort

remember to oil them well & allow them to cool off between cuts

practice & practice again on old throw away stock , you only get one shot at a clean cut :)

blue painter tape the cut area as well to hold down splintering

That's not a bad idea but would it sound different?

Some love the difference. I've never heard it so can't say.

Also, either way, should the bass bin be tilted up?

Not really... look at it... it's basically a 2x2 square box. If it does make a difference, you can always listen with your head twisted 90 degrees [;)]

Like one of these... which have the bearing on the end. It will ride along the good surface and trim the top nice and even with it.

Bruce

I have a question about routering off the tops. I just want to remove the front motorboard that houses the squaker and tweeter and remove the small reinforcement strip along the back of the top section. I need to do this to completely enclose the top section. I have the router bit but it looks like there are nails installed at the factory.

I am guessing that I need to cut a section out with a jigsaw (leaving about an inch or so of material left to cut) and then tap the nails out with a hammer and punch. Then go back and clean up with the router.

Like one of these... which have the bearing on the end. It will ride along the good surface and trim the top nice and even with it.

Bruce

I have a question about routering off the tops. I just want to remove the front motorboard that houses the squaker and tweeter and remove the small reinforcement strip along the back of the top section. I need to do this to completely enclose the top section. I have the router bit but it looks like there are nails installed at the factory.

I am guessing that I need to cut a section out with a jigsaw (leaving about an inch or so of material left to cut) and then tap the nails out with a hammer and punch. Then go back and clean up with the router.

TKW . . . You aren't already cutting up those black LSs you recently scored in Vegas already, are you? The ones by the toilets in your garage?