Active Crossover Question

babadono

Hi All,

I asked this question in another thread and never got an answer or opinion so I am starting this thread. To go to a Jubilee set up 2 way an active crossover and bi amplification is recommended. Since the EV DX 38 is a goner (no longer produced) does the EV DC1 do all that is required? Any other makes/models that have the requiered number of filters?

babadono

Yes, Richard I am still thinking about coming over to the dark side.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you plan on using Roy's factory tunings, probably not. Different processors use different algorithms so results will vary from processor to processor. Used DX 38s are for sale all over the place so it will not be a problem to get a one, and the price will be better for a used unit anyway.

I own both the EV DX38 and EV DC-One and there is no problem using the EV DC-One with Roy's settings with my Jubs.

Don't let the lower price of the EV DC-One make you think it's not as good in some way. It's features and sound quality equal or exceed the EV DX38 IMO.

Another unit I've listened to with Jubs is a Yamaha SP2060 and it is very good and no issues with Roy's programs.

Others are reporting very good results with some Ashley models so maybe they will add comments about those units.

miketn

Quick question how many speakers does one unit run ?? & do you need a seperate amp channel for each driver ?

Many units can be configured many ways for many purposes can you be more specific about what you want to do?

The EV DX38 can do 2 channels IN and 4 channels OUT.

The EV DC-One and Yamaha can do 2 channels IN and 6 channels OUT.

You can do a search for a user manual of any unit your interested in and they will show configurations and capabilities.

mike tn

Quick question how many speakers does one unit run ?? & do you need a seperate amp channel for each driver ?

Many units can be configured many ways for many purposes can you be more specific about what you want to do?

The EV DX38 can do 2 channels IN and 4 channels OUT.

The EV DC-One and Yamaha can do 2 channels IN and 6 channels OUT.

You can do a search for a user manual of any unit your interested in and they will show configurations and capabilities.

mike tn

That's what I needed to know just to start off with , I don't know squat about actives but I want to learn , I didn't want to start doing extensive research on something that might be outta my price league . I was misunderstanding that I might need 1 each of these processors for each channel of amplification . I've got some reading to do .I was thinking of going active on my 5 CornScala's that will have a 2 way driver system in them ( they currently have a 3 way but am going 2 way in the new build ) . I'm running 9 channels now with 5 CS-1.5's & the CornScalas , all passive .one CS-1.5 is getting retired to be replaced by a CornScala horizontal center

I'll have to find a overview on setting up a all active system before I ask anymore questions

ThanX Mike, Mucho Gracis

From,

Mike in Novato ...

See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635994-REG/Ashly_A1VA00690_Protea_4_8SP_4.html

This unit is a 4-in, 8-out processor and has very good reviews from Mark1101.

I'll have to find a overview on setting up an all active system before I ask anymore questions.

Links to overviews on this subject: http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm#2.2

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/135423.aspx

Chris

See http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ashly-audio-protea-4.24c-speaker-processor

This unit is a 4-in, 8-out processor and has very good reviews from Mark1101.

I'll have to find a overview on setting up an all active system before I ask anymore questions.

Links to overviews on this subject: http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm#2.2

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/135423.aspx

Chris

ThanX Chris ...... [Y]

Mike from Novato

If you are looking for a really capable crossover and don't want to spend huge $ to get there, take a look at minidsp.com.

I am using their standard unit 2X4 to biamp a modified set of Khorns (Khorn bottom, EVHR6040+Altec 288 on top), and I can do practically anything I wish to with this unit, including some DRC stuff. Cheaply. And with better quality than I was able to acheive with any active analog unit I tried. The 2X8 units give even higher sampling rates.

No affiliation, just a veteran of the 'gone active' campaigns.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses but I have to go with the opinion of miketn since he owns both and has used both. In my situation a new DC 1 has a much higher WAF then a used DX 38. I also think but of course cannot prove that the algorithms from one EV product to another cannot be all that much different. From an EV to an Ashly or DBX yes but EV to EV? Probably the same engineer or team is responsible for both, ah but I am speculating so I think I will shut up now.

babadono

Just to add another onto the pile of processors that have been tested/used and work with a 402/Jub/MCM, etc. etc........correctly able to support Klipsch various active system requirements.........are Ashly Protea 3.6SP and 4.8SP units.

I have the Ashly 4.8 SP which offers 4 inputs and 8 outputs. I have an MCM-3 Grand Klipsch speaker system plus subs which is a 4-way system needing 8 outputs.

I have been using this processor for a couple of years or more and have been very satisfied with it. It does not support importing Roy's settings directly and some initial work was involved to "translate" Roy's settings as closely as possible. I believe I have done that to a very close approximation using the software tool RACE from EV and the Protea software tool from Ashly. The 4.8SP unit is fully capable of reproducing the required results and it has a very analog sound to it. I'd be happy to share the 402 settings with anyone who buys one.

I just wanted to add the Ashly Proteas to the list.

I have to agree that the EV DC1 is a compelling choice. It still would not work for me because it is only a 3-way system. But Mike makes some good points about its newer chipsets............and that it accepts Roy's settings directly. For a 2 or 3 way setup, I think I'd just buy one of those.

Guest David H

How many PEQ's and shelving options do you get with the Minidsp?

You get 6 PEQ before the crossover and 6 per output after the crossover and the ability to import REW files.

Here are some screen shots. BTW, this is the only active crossover I use anymore, I have 2 modified Behringers and an Ashley collecting dust. The Mini's sound great and every one I have tried is absolutely silent. Furthermore these are simple to operate, basically the Tivo of active crossovers.

Dave

post-24405-13819740934776_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819771578778_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819798800532_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

These are about $150, there are several software packages you can choose from. One of them is a Graphic EQ, which I purchased for $10 but have never tried.

There is also a balanced version and several kit versions to choose from. Several of them have DAC and power amps built in as well. I have only tried the basic 2x4 MiniDSP in a box RCA version.

Dave

post-24405-1381974100047_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819771644978_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819798868686_thumb.jpg