Legends and Heritage

Deang

Was just wondering how the Legends stack up against Heritage?

Say, the KLF-30's to the Heresy's.

I have a chance to land some Legends at a good price, and I am seriously thinking about buying them.

I figure I can always sell them for what I paid for them if I don't like them.

Whatcha all think?

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-06-2002 at 11:37 AM

dean, i've only heard the heresy on occasion & at dealer show rooms, but i'd say they are pretty much apples vs oranges. of course i'm thinking more on the bass end & the 30's have more slam/impact than even my cornwalls. & like i've said elsewhere a quality power amp w/ some higher power will take these 30s from a sledgehammer to a pile driver. never have a heard/felt the impact & heard the dynamics of a kick drum until i put these in as the main speaks. cwm35.gif

they're also much louder than the cornwalls & heresy. i can say the cornwalls are somewhat smoother in the highs & same i think applies for heresy. but I don't think the 30s are overly bright/harsh as others may say. & again here i think a smoother, quality preamp/amp is key (i use b&k for both).

i think the mids w/ both are pretty smooth & even. though the 30s use a tractrix horn here, it actually seems to have a bit of the edge over the cornwalls in smooth response. 30s use an exponential tweeter horn.

overall imho the 30s are an excellent 3-way speak. i think though they're labeled rock n' roll speaks, they are an excellent all around speak for most all material. classical sounds good too.

sorry i go more for comparison to the cornwall in my case. again w/ all cases they really require a listen at one's place. if i hooked them up to my 1st HT receiver, a lower scale sony, i have a feeling the results would lead to a poor review of the 30s (guilt by association).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

As most will tell you, it's strictly preference. I've got KLF-30's & Heresy II's. I like the Heresy's. I've workerd and worked at getting the 30's to sound "right" to my ear. Moving them from room to room, placement, different components, etc. The Heresy's sound more "right" to me in almost any situtation.

Tony

Frightening, isn't it.

Well, since I've never listened to a three-way horn system with a tube amp -- I can't form any true, informed opinions about it.

I'm thinking it might be time to jump in with both feet.

If you want to hear something really insane. I just found out I can trade my RF7's in on some LaScalas for less than an arm and a leg.

If I find them to brash, I'll relegate them to speakers stands, and buy some RB5's to put on top of them Smile.gif

I would really like to try this -- but it's an expensive 'experiment'.

I'm just really afraid they are going to be earbleeders. Harsh, grainy, bright, honkey, and no bass unless you dump the whole amp into them.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-06-2002 at 03:56 PM

dean, on the highs i think that's some personal pref & some electronics used. i think you're fine on the latter.

on the bass i drove them w/ a marantz sr8000 receiver for quite a while & that was sledgehammer bass. w/ the 200W b&k (375W @ 4 ohms) i stepped up to "pile driver", but really it was a rather minute step-up (though minute is big for me).

how much power we looking at for you? i mean these are measured at 102db/1W/1M, though that may not apply so much to the lower freq, still pretty efficient.

my main concern would be on your pref w/ the highs. that expo tweet has similar characteristics to the cornwall horns & some have called those too harsh (though not many).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

cwm3.gif

I'm in shock!! I really think you'll like the Scala's. Contrary to what you have heard they do have bass, but the bass is tight, fast and accurate. Not vibrate your butt, drums sound like drums. To tame the highs I position mine slightly off axis in the corners of the room. They are different than any other speaker (except Khorns). If you listen to live music and then listen to Scala's it sounds the same. Vocals are uncanny, too real. They are not kind to bad recordings.

------------------

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MYSTUFF.jpg

somewhere in comparing the 30s to heresy las got thrown

in. Smile.gif if i had the space i'd go in this order for all

my speaks. khorn, las or belle, cornwall - 30s toss up.

i'm just looking up from heresy at this point. Smile.gif just to clarify. Wink.gif

but i did mention the 30s have great dynamics on the kick drum & such - 2nd octave. the feel is just a nice consequence. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

deang....Are you feeling alright?????

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

• 1 year later...

I have had both the KLF30's and Cornwall II's at the same time. I have also lugged the 30's over to Mike Lindsey's house and compared them to his Chorus and Chorus II's. Unfortunately, I never heard them through tube amplification so this is only a comparison with SS equipment. The 30's are a bit more foward than either the Cornwall or Chorus. They tend to be a little brighter as the volume goes up. When listening at moderate volumes, however, they are very close to both CW's and Chorus. Bass in adequate and you really don't need a sub if listening to music. I personally like them more than Hersey's as they will smoke a Hersey as you crank the volume. If I didn't have my Cornwalls or LaScalas (my KHorns are being refinished and am replacing the diaphrams) I would still have the 30's.

i have listened to a number of klipsch speakers, and a number of brands thru my career.

when i found out the legends were being discontinued,i HAD to get'em,not knowing what the ref 7's were going to sound like.

while i haven't heard the refs in my ht room to compare, i CAN say DEFINITELY that i am THOROUGHLY pleased w/my 30's. my music preference is classic rock, and i like to lean on the volume.

i also have recently been appreciating the dynamic aspect of these speakers for movie transients. when the movie gets loud, they really jump up to the task,while conversational levels of dialog in the movie are smooth and natural.

kick drums and keyboard/bass guitar are AWESOME, and machine guns and explosions are felt and heard.

my rsw-15 fills in the bottom-bottom.

truly an awesome movie/music experience!

HAPPY9.gif legend owner-avman1.gif

I would have to agree, they are form different branchs of the klipsch tree. different animals. I have heard the 30's and they are nice sounding speakers but I obivously prefer the heritage line and sound, heresys aside (no offense but heresy's do not please me as an all around speaker, I think they are best used as surrounds). what will the 30s cost you? if it is the same price as a pair of lascalas or god forbid belles or k-horns I would go for the heritage speaks, if they are cheaper than heritage...legend it is. my two cents dean. warm regards, tony

My somewhat limited experience with the Legend and Reference series tells me that the newer Klipsch designs sound better with SS equipment than the Heritage series. Not to suggest that the L & R series don't sound good with tubes - in fact, I think the Reference's sound is definitely improved with tubes (don't have any experience with the Legend stuff and tubes). I have spent enough time with the Heresy, CW and Khorn to say with some confidence that they are not the best match for SS. I agree with those who think they sounds thin and "honky" on top with all but the best SS equipment (I used MAC, Audio Research and Crown). I'm guessing that Klipsch and Co. developed the newer designs with SS amps in mind. Of course, you'll never know for sure until you hear them for yourself and if its a good deal - where's the harm? Have fun, Bryan