oppo bd player 93 or 95??

roaddog359

Ok, I tried some some searching on here but I need more info on the the pros and cons of these 2 players, and what the 95 does better than the 93 ect. Also who has the best prices on these units. So help me out any of you Oppo fans and owners!

There are so few used, that when they do come up, the price usually isn't much lower than retail. If you plan on using the analog outs or as Scrappy said, listening to 2 channel music, I would go with the BDP-95.

Your UMC-1's 7.1 analog stage would work extremely well with the BDP-95 because it's basically a straight through path where no extra processing is done except for volume and you have one of the best DACs in the world in the Oppo, the sound quality would be top notch. The only thing to be aware of though is because the 7.1 analog stage on your UMC-1 is so pure, there is no extra processing being done, meaning you will lose all your room correction settings. This could be a good or bad thing depending on how your speakers interact with your room. You can set crossover points in the Oppo, but that is it.

The best thing you could do is get the 95 and acoustically treat your room so there is less/no need for the room correction settings you'd miss out on.

If you want an Oppo, buy an Oppo. But if you are connecting the player using HDMI, all you really need is a transport to give the bits to the AVR and just about any BR player should look and sound the same. Using analog for audio has downsides (bass management may not be as good as in the AVR as far as crossover frequency selection and delays, the 10 to 15 dB gain issue with the LFE channel, bypassing room correction EQ in the AVR).I use a$150 Sony and get SACD playback through HDMI as a bonus.

You also have to consider if you are going to upgrade to the XMC-1 or not. Having the BDP-95 and XMC-1 would likely be overkill as you can only use one set of DACs. You might want to wait to see how good the XMC-1 is before you take the plunge on either Oppo.

i am not using the umc-1 anymore I am running a Denon 4311ci. So I am not sure if or when I would switch to the xmc-1. The umc-1 has been to buggy for me. They want me to send it in to look at it but I dont think anything is wrong with it, I just think they have some hdmi bugs and issues with at least directv boxes that they never completely worked out. I will send it in still, so they can look at it but I dont think they will find any issues. Anyway the 4311ci has been working perfect so far.

• Moderators

I just think they have some hdmi bugs and issues with at least directv boxes that they never completely worked out.

I bet you are right. I don't have the issues others are having but I don't have any cable, dish, direct tv etc boxes hooked up either. Just a PS3 and rabbit ears. All works well with that setup.

I read somewhere that denonlink is really great for improving sound as well since it stops judder. I can't really explain it any better than that =^P But after I read that I've been looking at Denon bluray players instead of Oppo since I also have a denon AVR.

I read somewhere that denonlink is really great for improving sound as well since it stops judder. I can't really explain it any better than that =^P But after I read that I've been looking at Denon bluray players instead of Oppo since I also have a denon AVR.

The Denon Link should work with your 4311 avr to reduce jitter in the signal from the BDP to the avr . This may be a better match than the Oppo for some people, Pioneer has something like the Denon Link that works with the elite avr's. Matching component from the same company can be beneficial.

For the opening post, buy the 95 if that is what you want and don't look back! Buy what you like and like what you buy[:)]

The main difference is in the DAC. Professional studios use 24 bit. See chart below:

Either will work for you!

Comparison Chart:

OPPO 3D Blu-ray Disc Player Comparison BDP-95 BDP-93
Analog Audio Hardware:
Stereo Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC): ESS SABRE32 Reference ES9018
(32-bit)
N/A
7.1ch DAC: ESS SABRE32 Reference ES9018
(32-bit)
Cirrus Logic CS4382A
(24-bit)
Analog Audio Connectivity:
Dedicated Stereo Output: XLR + RCA N/A
Configurable 7.1ch Output: RCA RCA
Analog Audio Specifications:
Frequency Response:

Stereo/7.1ch:
20Hz - 20kHz (±0.2dB)
20Hz - 96kHz (±1.0dB)

7.1ch:
20Hz - 20kHz (±0.3dB)
20Hz - 96kHz (±2.0dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, with auto-mute):

>125dB

>110dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, without auto-mute):

>115dB

N/A
THD+N (1kHz 96/24 at 0dB, 20kHz LPF): <0.0003% <0.002%
Dynamic Range (1kHz 96/24 at -60dB): >114dB >110dB
Channel Separation (10kHz 96/24 at 0dB): >110dB >92dB
Power Supply Hardware:
Digital Power Supply: Switching Power Supply Switching Power Supply
Analog Power Supply: Linear + Toroidal Transformer Regular Switched Capacitor
Video Features:
Video Processing Technology: 2nd Generation Qdeo™ by Marvell 2nd Generation Qdeo™ by Marvell
Full HD 1080p Output: Yes Yes
1080p 24Hz Output from Blu-ray: Yes Yes
Source Direct Mode: Yes Yes
Multiple Zoom Modes: Yes Yes
Vertical Stretch Mode: Yes Yes
Component Output: Yes Yes
Composite Output: Yes Yes
PAL and NTSC Output: Yes Yes
PAL/NTSC Conversion: Yes Yes
Analog Features:
Dolby TrueHD: Yes Yes
DTS-HD Master Audio: Yes Yes
Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs: Yes Yes
SACD DSD Output over HDMI: Yes Yes
SACD PCM Output over HDMI: Yes Yes
SACD DSD-to-Analog Direct: Yes Yes
SACD DSD-PCM-Analog Conversion: Yes Yes
Playback Features:
Blu-ray Disc: Yes Yes
BonusView (Profile 1.1): Yes Yes
BD-Live (Profile 2.0): Yes Yes
Blu-ray 3D (Profile 5.0): Yes Yes
DVD Up-Conversion: Yes Yes
DVD-Audio: Yes Yes
SACD: Yes Yes
DLNA Support: Yes Yes
Additional Media Formats: CD, HDCD, AVCHD, MKV, MP4, FLAC, WAV, DivX, DivX Plus HD, Kodak Picture CD, and other audio/video/picture files CD, HDCD, AVCHD, MKV, MP4, FLAC, WAV, DivX, DivX Plus HD, Kodak Picture CD, and other audio/video/picture files
Streaming Services:
Netflix: Yes Yes
VUDU: Yes Yes
Pandora: Yes Yes
YouTube Leanback: Yes Yes
Picasa: Yes Yes
Film Fresh: Yes Yes
Convenience Features:
Dual HDMI v1.4a with 3D & Deep Color: Yes Yes
Dual USB Ports: Yes Yes
eSATA Port: Yes Yes
Back-lit Remote Control: Yes Yes
USB Wireless Adapter (802.11 b/g/n): Yes Yes
Universal Power Supply (110V/60Hz, 220V/50Hz): Yes Yes
RS-232C Control Port: Yes Yes
External IR Input: Yes Yes
HDMI CEC: Yes Yes
Other Features:
Front Panel: Heavy gauge sculptured aluminum Heavy gauge brushed aluminum
Rack Mountable (Kit sold separately): Yes
OPPO Recommendations:
For use with high-end audio systems via analog audio connections: Yes
For use with all audio systems via HDMI, analog and/or digital optical/coaxial connections: Yes
Price: $999.00 $499.00