Jubilee half stack

Guest " "

It is basically a Jube base bin cut in half. This drawing has been around for years and I do not know of anyone that has built it. Don't know what affect the short cabinet would have on the total sound, if two were stacked. I.m sure that someone has probably built it, but I would venture to guess, it was not a success, sound wise. That is probably why we haven't heard more about it...

There is quite a bit of guessing going on.

The 6 half-cabinets I built followed the JAES geometry and folding. As noted, the above plans are a bit different and would advise against using them. If you plot out the inside and outside path distances you will see that the last turn is critical and I would not mess with these.

So you can all stop with the speculation, I measured these half cabinets with both freq response and impedance measures. When two are stacked on top of each other and placed in a corner, they measure the same as the factory versions (as you would expect). If you use a single "half cabinet" and pull them away from a corner (as you might do if it used as a center channel), then you lose the "mutual coupling of two cabinets as well as the boundary loading from a corner. IOW, the peaks and dips at 100, 200, 300 Hz are more pronounced. This is to be expected.

If you look at the new factory versions with the extra bracing, it starts to look like what I made. Food for thought, why not stack these three high rather than just two high?

When two are stacked on top of each other and placed in a corner, they measure the same as the factory versions (as you would expect). If you use a single "half cabinet" and pull them away from a corner (as you might do if it used as a center channel), then you lose the "mutual coupling of two cabinets as well as the boundary loading from a corner. IOW, the peaks and dips at 100, 200, 300 Hz are more pronounced. This is to be expected.

FYI-- A graph of the effects of stacking bass bins/subs is shown at Fitzmaurice's site: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

Chris