Tapped Horn build help

snailtrax

I want to build a table tuba or tapped horn. I am leaning toward the tapped horn. I have been reading on this for days. My Mitsubishi 73 inch tv will sit on top of it. It needs to be 18 - 20 inches tall. It can be up to 66 inches wide. It can be a max of 30 inches deep. I want 3/4 mdf. I want the lowest hertz and highest SPL possible. Any suggestions? Looking for plans to build. Thanks Bill

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to build a table tuba or tapped horn. I am leaning toward the tapped horn. I have been reading on this for days. My Mitsubishi 73 inch tv will sit on top of it. It needs to be 18 - 20 inches tall. It can be up to 66 inches wide. It can be a max of 30 inches deep. I want 3/4 mdf. I want the lowest hertz and highest SPL possible. Any suggestions? Looking for plans to build. Thanks Bill

I went through this and found a way to make the Tuba HT work. (Have not built nyhting yet). Unless you can find a tapped horn that has been designed and tested that meets yur specs, go with the table tuba. The table tuba can easily fit inside of your required measurement of 20 x 30 x 66 if you build the long style. Just build a tv stand that the tuba fits inside of and make it real pretty furniture grade. A nice box stained in a walnut or mahogony finish with a few pieces of trim can be made to look really nice. Throw a piece of bullnosed granite on top and it will be really fancy-like

http://billfitzmaurice.net/TT.html

The Tuba HT will also work, but you need to go anoter 6 "

http://billfitzmaurice.net/THT.html

This is all assuming that you have about 20" past the mouth that is relatively unonstructed.

Table Tuba does not have lowest HZ as you wanted. They are good from about 28hz up. The THT LP goes lower like the full size THT, but the dimensions are 18" high X 72"long X variable width. As Carl suggested, the F-20 may be the way to go for you. Another one you could try is a spud.

I gotta say, making the sub the TV stand may not be the best idea I ever heard. Just sayin....

Good luck!

Craig

I gotta say, making the sub the TV stand may not be the best idea I ever heard. Just sayin....

Craig, when I built the F-20 for Thaddeussmith, I added some bracing that wasn't in the original plans. With the bracing installed, you don't feel any cabinet vibration at all. It's very inert, especially when using MDF. Worst case scenario, you could put some isolators between the TV and the cab. I think it would work well in his application. Didn't tromprof build one and put his TV on it, or am I "misremembering" again?

Wow. that looks much easier. He says in is thread that this is the first in a series. Does he have other sizes designed?

It is easier. I've built the F-20, the tuba-18 and am currently building a table tuba. The F-20 is much less complicated of a build, but it IS much bulkier.

He has a couple other designs, you just have to look around.

Craig, when I built the F-20 for Thaddeussmith, I added some bracing that wasn't in the original plans. With the bracing installed, you don't feel any cabinet vibration at all. It's very inert, especially when using MDF. Worst case scenario, you could put some isolators between the TV and the cab. I think it would work well in his application. Didn't tomprof build one and put his TV on it, or am I "misremembering" again?

My name is Thaddeussmith, and I approve this message. I've always had subs that vibrate and walk when they are pushing out the dB's. This one does not. At all. At low levels I sometimes have to touch the front panel that the driver fires into just to be sure it's on - it blends so well with my RF-5s that I can't tell if the sub is doing its job or not.

Craig, when I built the F-20 for Thaddeussmith, I added some bracing that wasn't in the original plans. With the bracing installed, you don't feel any cabinet vibration at all. It's very inert, especially when using MDF. Worst case scenario, you could put some isolators between the TV and the cab. I think it would work well in his application. Didn't tomprof build one and put his TV on it, or am I "misremembering" again?

My name is Thaddeussmith, and I approve this message.

LOL

First, let me apologize for not responding earlier. I have been very busy at work and I have preparations for my daughter's upcoming wedding that are taking all of my free time. Thanks for all the replies. I have been reading as much as I can find on the horns and tapped horns. I am liking the F-20. I am going to put an isolated top on it for the tv.

CECAA850, I wish I was closer to you. I have read where you have built several horns and such. I would like to hear some in person. Do you have any more links to lilmikes other projects or designs? Also is the Anarchy Tapped Horn coming back? I see it is out of stock.

The one I built with a LAB 12 driver is 30x60x14. Super easy to build with only 2 sheets of 3/4 ply, glue, and screws. Only 11 pieces of wood.

First, let me apologize for not responding earlier. I have been very busy at work and I have preparations for my daughter's upcoming wedding that are taking all of my free time. Thanks for all the replies. I have been reading as much as I can find on the horns and tapped horns. I am liking the F-20. I am going to put an isolated top on it for the tv.

CECAA850, I wish I was closer to you. I have read where you have built several horns and such. I would like to hear some in person. Do you have any more links to lilmikes other projects or designs? Also is the Anarchy Tapped Horn coming back? I see it is out of stock.

The F-20 is not a tapped horn. Won't go quite as low, but more efficient.