Speaker match for Scott 222c

bracurrie

I am having one of my two amps repaired so I dug out my Forte IIs. Since I was rewiring anyway I decided to dig out my Scott 222c that I had refurbished last year. While the sound is quite good, surprising good actually , I am not getting the volume I like with out turning the amp up to 3/4 on the knob.

This begs the question: Which speakers would be the best match for this tube amp?

Brad

post-48022-13819801321372_thumb.jpg

check the volume on your source

Using my Audio Research SP6 as a front end and using the record outs as inputs to the 222. The phono preamp in the SP6 pushes good gain, but the AUX 1 and 2 have devices connected to them that are for some reason weaker. Enjoying it all the same. Thanks. Brad

I also have a 222c and it works well with most mid to high efficiency speaks ( 92dB+). The amp should push the Forte around just fine so you need to check the settings, tubes, connections and wires before you proceed. I've never hooked the Scott up to Khorns but it sounds good on Epic C4's, C3's and Cornwalls, as well as single driver horns like the Cain & Cain Abby's and the Altec 604's. At the moment, the amp is running with Tannoy Windsors with Monitor Gold drivers and I'm quite happy with the combo. The 222c is a great amp - quiet with lots of bottom end for 18 watts and matches well with almost anything you hook 'em up to. Have fun...

check the volume on your source

Using my Audio Research SP6 as a front end and using the record outs as inputs to the 222. The phono preamp in the SP6 pushes good gain, but the AUX 1 and 2 have devices connected to them that are for some reason weaker. Enjoying it all the same. Thanks. Brad

If I understand your set up, I'd suggest hooking up the SP6 'TAPE OUT' through the Scott's 'TAPE IN' input so you're not dealing with 2 volume controls and an impedance mismatch.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was using the tape outs on the SP6. Unless I am using phono I do not even have to turn it on. I took your suggestion and moved from the EXTRA to the PLAYBACK labeled inputs and doesn't really sound different. I wish the RCA jacks were not so tight together on the Scott.

Don't forget to check the simple things like swapping out your RCA interconnects. I was beating my head over a problem with anemic sound coming from both channels and finally traced it down to the lousy Monster cable interconnects. Those RCA connections are pretty close on the Scott... some cables you just can't use.

edit: Oh, and remove the SP6 preamp out of the equation to test your source directly to the 222c.

Muel, Thanks for the thoughts. Did some RCA cable swaps and eliminated that as a problem, fortunately I have two to play with that fit the Scott. Tried the Scott direct to the CD player with same results. But that didn't surprise me any as the SP6 isn't doing anything on line level sources it switches. But the phono preamp on the SP6 is much better than the Scott IMO so I am going to stay with the SP6 front end. My local tech mentioned that I shouldn't be concerned with the volume knob at 12 or even 2 to get to 80db

when you say 3/4 do you mean 3 quarters of full travel, 3 or 4 on the face plate of the Scott or 3 or 4:00?

If you mean 3 or 4 on the face plate that is entirely normal and of no concern. If either of the 2 other scernarios is true something is not right....

Well I was guessing 3/4 of the travel, but maybe not that much. Its the relative level of the aux devices relative to the phone that got me post the original question. Seems that my next step is to check the tubes.

BTW is there any way to replace the very hot resistor in this unit with something else that runs cooler?

Thanks

Brad

I'm still not clear as to what you mean and what ways you have hooked the source up to the amp so maybe you could hook it up as I suggest for testing purposes.

Here is what I suggest.

Get the SP6 out of the picture just in case it has some type of passive impedance effect on the signal.

connect a standard CD player without an output level control (if it has a control turn it all the way up) to the extra input then let me know how far you have to turn it up to get about 80db. It would also be helpful to know how large the room is and how far away from the speakers you listen. A properly working 222C should be darn loud at 3/4 of the volume controls travel with a CD players output and just about any klipsch speaker. In fact it wouldn't be to far from full power. They did tend to ramp the sound up later in the controls travel on later amps then the earlier versions but not that far!!