Equilizers anyone?

vnzbd

I am considering picking up an EQ to play with for 2 channel. It would be inline between the pre and the amp. I was looking at Parts Express and saw two different models. One is an "Audio Source EQ 200" and is advertised as for home use. The second is an ART EQ341 and is listed under their Pro section, but still has rca in/outs. The ART is a 2/3 octave model and has much tighter freq adjustments which seems attractive, especially for the lows. I am not at all familar with the ART name.

Any feedback on either of these products or others to consider?

Thanks!

The only experience I have with "Art" is a little phono pre amp I purchased a few years back and it is a solid unit. I've not had one problem with it. I connected it when I got it and haven't gave it another thought since.

41E8jdPS3ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As far as EQ's go, yeah, get one. They can be a lot of fun (and frustration) and can help with room correction problems. The best way to use one is not by ear, but with a RTA (Real Time Analyzer) and used to cut offending freqs. from your room. When you use one to boost freqs., you start changing the sound and that is not always good.

I use an Audio Control C101 III with built in RTA and Spectrum Analyzer and it has made a great improvement to my listening enjoyment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ16IrtWKI7DxoMmNUa_Xk

EQ_RTA.JPG

EQ_sliders.JPG

Keep us posted,

Dennie

I have been using a DBX 1231 for years with XLR to RCA adaptors in one of my systems.............and I like it so much I just bought another brand new one this week and it is sitting in its box waiting me for me to get home from work tonight to set it up for my main system. A very nice quiet and capable 3rd octave graphic EQ............that I use sparingly to EQ the room.

I've had my 1231 for about 10-years now. The only thing I've done to it was put some insulation around the transformer inside to calm down a very light physical buzz coming from it.

Interesting story about my 1231: the man that made the cash register sounds on Pink Floyd's "Money" owns a large audio/video company (mainly for live events) where I live. It'called ICB Audio and I bought mine from him. Mention my name, he knows who I am. :)

I use an Audio Control C101 III with built in RTA and Spectrum Analyzer and it has made a great improvement to my listening enjoyment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ16IrtWKI7DxoMmNUa_Xk

This is what I run in my two channel setup as well with two Chorus ll's. It made a big difference in my system due to my living room being 20x30 with 18 foot ceilings and opening up to a kitchen.

Mine developed a slight transformer hum as well and I rubber mounted it in a way that still kept it grounded to the chassis. I'm hoping the new one will not have this issue though it is easily corrected. The unit never hummed out the speakers. Just a mechanical hum from that power transformer......same as yours.

I have room issues too, wood floor, windows, open to kitchen, etc....My ARC tubes would not give me the bass that i wanted from previous set ups, carpet floor, smaller room. Got McIntosh C46 pre with 8 tone controls at 12 db of boost or cut at 20, 35, 70, 150, 300, 600, 1200 and 4000Hz. I am happy with it.