New Horn Project 23" Tractrix

Guest David H

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave - I just want you to know that I hate you (jk...jk...jk). Every time that I see that you have started a thread, I'm always afraid of reading it because I know that whatever I will see, I will want :-(.

Good job once again brother. Great workmanship!

Cheers,

D

Guest David H

Because I am trying to get away with using all Dayton products for this project, I decided to give the crossovers a shot as well.

These are obviously not built to the level that ALK builds, however will suffice for this project.

I made a few mods to the crossovers as shown. First I bypassed all of the signal caps with Dayton Film and Foil caps.

Second, I decided to replace the electrolytic in the midrange circuit with a Dayton 5% polypropylene.

post-24405-1381982468698_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Almost finished... The objective of this project was to see if I could make a great looking and sounding speaker using nothing but Dayton components from parts express.

I have to say this was a complete success.

post-24405-13819824812366_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

These are absolutely unbelieveable! Why are you selling them? I saw them on Craigslist.

Craig

I built them to sell. When I find a good home for them I will build another pair and sell them too.

Dave

Guest David H

Those are pretty!!!

They are small enough to take outside and get better measurements being outdoors. I wouldn't mind seeing them if you ever do it. Very nice job you've done on those.

Thanks, I have not had any reall good oportunities to do any outdoor testing as of yet. I live in California's high desert, and the wind has been blowing for what seems like a month. Now its raining. GRRR

Dave

Just thinking out loud, and striking conservation. It appears you used MDF, other then cost what were your reasons for this and why not use a solid wood. The reason I ask, I all ways wondered if horns were like violins, violas. As I once read, and seen a special on how the stain preserves the sound of the violin by filling the pores of the wood(or maybe its not suppose to) I just know the special I watched on violin making they were particular on how it was stained and how the stain was made, they would even use crushed beadles for the mixture of the stain. Plus it would look really nice with some stained horns on top.