Sandy Destined to Destroy the East Coast

John Warren

• Moderators

Could have been worse

Glad your OK, and yes it could have been alot worse.

I know it sounds sick but I hope it really scared everyone, at least enough so they leave next time . I say this because it would save many thousands if a cat 3,4,5 ever hits, they may remember this and get out.

Could have been worse

Glad your OK, and yes it could have been alot worse.

I know it sounds sick but I hope it really scared everyone, at least enough so they leave next time . I say this because it would save many thousands if a cat 3,4,5 ever hits, they may remember this and get out.

Yeah I think irene made everyone complacent as it was not that bad. Our governor is pissed at the atlantic city mayor. So Ithink no power for atleast a few days. Water and gas still work. Gotta eat everything in the fridge now.

Down the block 80 feet tall oak trees fell over into houses and cars :-/

It could have been worse for us. Few shingles need to be fixed, one gutter pipe fell off, aluminum side fell off, all together meh

Hopefully larryc is oak?

• Moderators

These are very handy, we have one exactly like this and it has been used for years when the power is out or camping. They come in propane or natural gas and get hot enough to boil water quickly or also cook at low heat easily. There not real expensive, the better ones like this are cast iron and will last longer than you.

Tip; when not being and stored like in a garage take an old sock or piece of material and cover the end and wrap with tape, wasp love to fill them with dirt and it's no fun to clean out.

post-11804-13819823370444_thumb.jpg

Stoves still work with a match, natual gas is intact and fine. Its keeping the house warm.

That's the one problem with my 20 KW natural gas generator -- it still wasn't enough power to let them put the electric range on the circuit. So, before I got it, hot water and the phone land line were the only things I had at my house during outages, and I still don't have use of the range. Definite advantage of gas ranges IMO where the power can go out.

A lot of wind and rain here, but power stayed on.

Seemed we dodged a bullet in this area as the brunt of it was farther north. I was worried when some of the ealier models had it aimed right for the D.C. area itself.

I agree, with great relief in spite of models on TV showing 60 mph winds around here. and centered on DC, which it wasn't. The maps probably shouldn't have been symmetrical between N and S of the center .

I lived in NYC for 9 years, and water filling the rail and road tunnels has been an other-worldly nightmare scenario to me. Fortunately. New York has unmatched survival and infrastructure management expertise IMO, like what all got mobilized (on a much smaller scale) in the Hudson River Airbus crash.

I suppose this will just aggravate rumors of global warming...

Well hurricanes are the ocean's way of dissipating excessive heat. I figure, the water temps before and after sandy is probably a big difference.

Well as of now three tunnels flooded, another train only tunnel flooded. Hoboken under water still. No one thought the hudson would surge.

Gas a premium now as nj is basically on generators. Larry if may ask how much in total was the natural gas whole house generator? I think its time to invest in one.

Larry if may ask how much in total was the natural gas whole house generator? I think its time to invest in one.

Not Larry here.

When I bought mine, it was a little over 4K. I did my own gas piping (plumber in a former life) but I paid an electrician to wire it up. All said, between 5 and 6K. You can certainly spend more. Another option is to get a smaller (cheaper) generator and hand pick what circuits you want to run and do a type of semi whole house back up.

Happy Halloween...

(CBS News) Superstorm Sandy overwhelmed sewer systems, pouring tens of millions of gallons of raw sewage into waterways along the East Coast. Health departments in several states are now warning residents about tap water . . .

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57542888/post-sandy-sewage-raises-water-safety-fears/?tag=cbsnewsHardNewsFDArea;fdmodule

Larry if may ask how much in total was the natural gas whole house generator? I think its time to invest in one.

Not Larry here.

When I bought mine, it was a little over 4K. I did my own gas piping (plumber in a former life) but I paid an electrician to wire it up. All said, between 5 and 6K. You can certainly spend more. Another option is to get a smaller (cheaper) generator and hand pick what circuits you want to run and do a type of semi whole house back up.

Thanks. I saw one at home depot for around 3k and well it can't do whole house with ac etc I am just happy to have a hot shower about now. I have a gas water heater but it needs electric to work. Damn. Power looks to be down for atleast another 2 days

Larry if may ask how much in total was the natural gas whole house generator?

Well, it was a lot -- like a small car! The reason is I went with a Cummins because it was reputedly the quietist (it's not super quiet or vibration-free, though!), unfortunately well out of CECAA850's economical range.

The costs were the generator itself, the added gas piping and connections and a new larger gas valve. I had to use two contractors, because the electrical vendor preferred not to do gas:

• An electrical firm who sold and installed the generator and a new electrical panel (a freebie they might not do now)
  • The gas contractor who did all the gas-related work

The gas contractor also knew about cork/rubber vibration reduction items (neither the generator vendor nor Cummins itself knew about those!!), so I had him install 4 of those. I'm glad to say they really worked!

I did 20 KW to make whole-house easier to do. I probably needed that much to handle the surge current to start the A/C, though just running it after startup doesn't use that much juice. It still wasn't big enough to handle the electric range or dryer. At the Cummins level, figure the total expense at $1,000 per KW!

A next-door neighbor thought what you did, time to install one. He decided against it after finding out how much it cost, he didn't have ideal placement options on his property like I did, and gas pipes would have to run half-way around his house.

Hope this helps. I have to say, I've had only 1.5 days of outage since I installed it! Glad it's there, though.

Larry

When you go from an air cooled unit to a water cooled one, the price jumps considerably. Mine is rated at 20KW but only puts out 18KW on natural gas. The 20KW rating is on propane I believe. It will however run my AC (4 ton), pool pump and everything in the house. I don't run everything simultaneously however.

I think mine is air-cooled, but I may be wrong. Like yours, mine puts out 18kW on nat gas, would do 20 KW on propane. Do you have a gas range and dryer? Mine are electric, with max ratings (12 Kw and 6 Kw) that were too much to include on the generator sub-panel. My A/C is 2 or 2.5 ton, and the only time the generator motor guns it is at the A/C startup surge.