I need help!

AaronR

Hello,

It has been a while since my last post. (Financial strains of getting married put a halt to my home theater build) I am back to work on my room now.

it is 13'6" wide by roughly 12' to my front wall on the first level and then it steps up on the 12" riser to a 10'6" x 10'6" area (there is a 3' offset in the wall on the right side of the seating positions. I am building a 12" set of cabinets around the roughly 106" at seymour screen, wanting a little bit of reveal from the face of the cabinets back to the screen plane. The cabinet door on the right side of the screen is actually a hidden door so I need to place the speakers behind the screen.

So that being said I recently ordered the rw-12d and am trying to piece together the rest of my sound system. Originally i had planned to use in walls but upon more research I think I can get much more 'bang for my buck' out of box speakers. Floor standers are probably a little deep for my cabinet offset and I am reluctant to bring the cabinets out any further because it shortens the distance from the seating position to the screen and also makes the entry door to my theater smaller.

All of that being said I am looking for the best system for the money. I do love the sound of Klipsch speakers and want to stay with them. My new wife is worried about me spending way to much money so I am trying to stay in a 'descent' budget. Possibly up the the RB-61II home theater system that Klipsch lists on their website. (RB-61II, RC-52II, RS-42II) but my wife would be very happy spending much less, would like to start my new marriage out of the right foot!

Would Quintets get lost in such a big room? If I went to the low end of the reference series and put the RB-41II RC-42II and RS-41II's am I going to even have a descent sound system or should at that point am I not gaining anything over a packaged quintet system? Or step up to 51's or 61's? What receiver can I get away with to power any of these options.

So many questions!! I want to make my decision so that I can accommodate for the speaker choice in the build.

I over research everything I buy and with such a large purchase for the room I've been wanting to build for so many years I really want to make the right choice. PLEASE HELP!

Only equipment I have and are using for the room are Epson 8100, and the Klipsch RW-12d. And I'm Pretty sold on the Seymour Cinmea XD screen (probably ordering in the next few days)

• Moderators

Since you are going projection, I'm afraid if you went with inwalls, you would be underwhelmed.

I've owned the RB-61's and they are fantastic little speakers for their size.

With any large purchase, it is wise not to make a hasty decision. My advice is do your research, listen to as many Klipsch systems as you can so you know what will satisfy your needs, definitely check the used market as there are some killer deals to be found if you are willing to be patient and have some cash on hand and finally, don't hesitate to build it over time as funds become available and those killer deals pop up.

I've built my HT over a 1 - 2 yr period and because of that, not one item was financed and along the way, I've had the opportunity to try lots of different Klipsch speakers and ended up with a FAR better system than I EVER dreamed I would one day own. IMO, the journey of building my HT and piecing it together was as fun as having the final product.

Best wishes with your search.

If you are not against used speaker, the 61 setup can be found for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of new speakers. A lot of people will be getting rid of their gear with X-mas and the new year coming. Are you trying to fill the the second 10 x 10 space? For a more ambient effect you could throw a couple of satellites up hooked up in series. That way the main AV area can be concentrated on?

I was going to put the surrounds just past the notch in the wall they would then be place just beside the second row of seating approx 4 feet behind the front couch. I had not though of running surrounds in series to give both rows of seating optimal sound.

• Moderators

It has been a while since my last post. (Financial strains of getting married put a halt to my home theater build) I am back to work on my room now.

You think that's a strain, try kids. [:o]

Really the best advice I could give is take your time and remember, if you go to small you will be sorry, and end up spending more in the long run replacing speakers. You can turn the volume down but you can't increase it to make up for a small sound, it's just a small sound played louder.

Klipsch are extremely tough and reliable unless really abused badly so also consider used if the new price would limit you to something not usable long term.

Lets all not forget here if he is looking at MSRP on Klipsch website that you are going to be getting your speakers for 25-30% off if you call and order them from a dealer. But you have to call on the phone. I would recommend if you are doing an AT screen to go with three identical speakers. Buy three rf-62. That would make an awesome front soundstage. Seamless. Or if you would rather have a traditional center I would go with the rb-61, rc-62, and whatever back speakers you think you might need. To be honest you could go as small as rb-41 or rs-41. They will keep up just fine with the rb-61 stuff. Just about any avr will power the 6" woofers and down just fine.

Who then would be the best dealer to contact on speaker prices? Also I read an article about horizontal center channels saything that they are not the best way to get good sound. Anyone stand their klipsch centers on end? what about running 3 identical centers for my LCR?

http://www.klipsch.com/authorized-online-dealers

Go thru the dealers and see who has what you want, and then call them all to see who will give you the best deal. I think audioholics gave me the best deal when I bought mine (although I ended up going local cuz they ended up beating the price), but I've heard good about acoustic sound design. AVS gave me the best price on the speakers overall, but they don't do free shipping (at least they didn't when I was looking), but depending on where you live it still might work out in the end.

If you can work out doing 3 identical speakers across the front that is definitely the way to go. A horizontal speaker just happens to have a footprint that works out way better for most people. They still sound great, but 3 identical would be ideal, in fact identical all the way around would be ideal. I do love the WDST sound in my RS-62IIs tho.

Who then would be the best dealer to contact on speaker prices? Also I read an article about horizontal center channels saything that they are not the best way to get good sound. Anyone stand their klipsch centers on end? what about running 3 identical centers for my LCR?

call mike at acoustic sound design. i have not heard of anyone beating his prices. i would advise against standing a center on end as the horn has a dispersion pattern and you obviously would be not getting the same pattern if the speaker were on its side. if i were you and you could put speakers behind a screen and had all the floor space behind it, i would go with three rf-62 towers. unless for some reason you wanted to go with three rc-62's. but you would have to build a shelf across the back to put them all on plus they would cost about 200$ more if i remember correctly from my previous quotes from mike. if you were to do three bookshelves across the fron that would be ok, except that you once again would be putting extra money into this shelf across the back plus you would have to buy two pair, and would have a spare. not the end of the world. but if you went with three rf-62 towers you would have a seamless soundstage and wouldn't have to buy anything to set them on as they would all be at ear height and perfectly level already. i am currently looking for a third tower myself. if you google towers across the front you will find a guy that has three rf-62's and i remember reading that he loved it. and he thought the tower made a better center than the rc-62 anyways.

what about running 3 identical centers for my LCR?

i bet this is a more cohesive sounding system even though it cost far less than most of ours just because when you work with identical speakers and a AT screen you have all the freedom you could want. when i buy my house if i have the room to build a deep enough false wall to fit the pb-13 ultra's behind it i sure will have this same setup but with my larger gear

post-54961-13819824286144_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

i bet this is a more cohesive sounding system even though it cost far less than most of ours just because when you work with identical speakers

Your right, three identical speakers across the front can't be beat. imo

Since I am trying to get away as cheap as possible and also have some spacial issues, would 3 rf-42's be even worth my time effort and hard earned cash?

I love the sound of klipsch but has anyone seen the jamo d500 series? Identical lcr that are only 5.1 inches deep

Well I own rf-42's and I love them. Most say they have no bass. And yeah compared to my rf-63's they have zero bass. But when people come over that have a htib and I show them how small the rf-42's are they laugh. Then they hear them and like holy s$&?! I have the full rf-42ii ht for my living room and I think it's sound fine. Now if I didn't have my theater setup also I would probably want a little more. If you are on a limited budget right now piece it together. Just buy a pair of rf-62's for now. Unless they are too big. Are the 62's too big for your space?

Yeah the rf-62 is like 14 and a half inches deep... My space from the face of the cabinet to the wall is 12 inches... And I would still like to an offset from the cab face to the screen. I could set the speaker to the back of the Sheetrock on the adjoining wall so add 4 inches

Ok well with the space constraints I would not doubt about it go for the RB-61's. the issue you get with any tower or smaller book shelf is that they are rear ported. You will get less than optimal imaging, and bass with the port too close to the wall. If you go with the RB-61 you can put it flush against the wall if you need and it's 12.3 inches deep