Shipping KLF-20

clmrt

New Klipsch owner here.

I'm in transition - from KLF to La Scala, if all goes well. I just wrapped up selling the 20's on Ebay, but the buyer, who flaked because he "cancelled" his bid (not, he da winna) also, in the face of his "winner" status, wants me to ship not on a skid, as specified, but by UPS.

I am a very experienced shipper, but I'm not interested in making / buying boxes and materials for UPS to destroy these speakers. Freight, on a skid properly packed, is the way to go in my mind.

Anyone ever ship a KLF via UPS with good results?

Yeah, I'm sure it could be done. I do it all the time with other speakers, but these are big, and frankly fragile due to the glue thing. I think the biggest speakers I've shipped were Infinity Quantums. They survived, but were better built.

I've received several boxes of firewood in the past, they started as speakers...anyway, a skid from Minneapolis to either coast is only $20 more than UPS. Cheap insurance. Easier for me to pack and ship. Harder for magnets to shift, horns to break, corners to smash.

I was willing to get fewer bids due to the shipping method I specified, and the winner, of course, was not having it.

Maybe I'm unreasonable, but the guy knew what he was getting into, then asked for me to completely change course because he was unprepared - both fiscally and mentally.

I've shipped Fortes and Quartets making my own packaging. What I did was go to Home Depot and buy the 1" thick hard foam insulation boards and cut them to fit around each speaker, using at least two layers of it all around. Then I bought appropriately-sized cardboard boxes, put one over the speaker, flipped it over and put the other box on. Then taped everything up all around. Never had any issues that way. Oh, and they were all shipped FedEx Ground.

Best way to ruin a good pair of speakers is ship them UPS and especially let them package them for you.

As long as he's the one doing the sucking. He refused the truck method anyway, and I'm not an errand boy. $40 in materials, three hours of my time and the stress...nope.

Shipping is getting damn expensive. It may keep prices down on things as people figure that into their spending power.

I've shipped Fortes and Quartets making my own packaging. What I did was go to Home Depot and buy the 1" thick hard foam insulation boards and cut them to fit around each speaker, using at least two layers of it all around. Then I bought appropriately-sized cardboard boxes, put one over the speaker, flipped it over and put the other box on. Then taped everything up all around. Never had any issues that way. Oh, and they were all shipped FedEx Ground.

Best way to ruin a good pair of speakers is ship them UPS and especially let them package them for you.

They make 2" sheets. That is why I said that it will be $20 in shipping materials. Buyer needs to pay or walk if it was in the auction listing.