Klipsch RSW-15 vs Velodyne HGS15 Comparison

Youthman

It will be interesting to see another test with the Velodyne turned up. If you set them to the same SPL, the Veodyne will be attenuated more. I've seen graphs on some subs and there is a group that dose well in the low stuff and die out above 80 and some do well in the high stuff but drop like a rock at the tunning frequency of the box . Can't wait to see the results.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

For Round 2, I started out by turning the volume knob on each sub to max (per recommendation from Roger). I turned on the Klipsch RSW-15 and then played the sub test tone from the UMC-1 and increased the volume on the UMC-1 until I reached 80dB. I then turned of the RSW-15 and turned on the Velodyne HGS15 and noticed the Velodyne registered 77dB on the meter.

I decided to increase the volume on the UMC-1 until the Velodyne HGS15 was at 80db. I then turned off the Velodyne HGS15 and turned back on the Klipsch RSW-15 and lowered the volume knob on the sub until it was at 80dB.

With these adjustments, both subs are now starting at 80dB with the sub test tone.

I then put proceeded to go through my test tones using my test tone CD as I did before starting at 80Hz and going down in increments of 5Hz until I reached 20Hz and then I went down in increments of 1Hz.

I did the tones first using the RSW-15 and then went through the same tones using only the HGS15. For simplicity, I have included below the Original Test and below it shows the "ROUND 2" test that I just performed.

Original Test

Velodyne-HGS-15-vs-Klipsch-RSW-15.jpg

ROUND 2 Test

Velodyne-HGS-15-vs-Klipsch-RSW-15-Round-

Once again, the Klipsch RSW-15 produced a higher dB than the Velodyne HGS15 until 20Hz and then the Klipsch RSW-15 dropped like a rock.

Interesting comparison. When I tested my RSW-15's, they were great for music, but not so much for LFE channel and movies. My measurements also showed the RSW rolling off quickly below 20Hz. I currently use two RSW-15's for two channel only with my mains and two SPUD clones for LFE. The SPUD clones move some serious air for LFE.

You might consider keeping them both...one for LFE and one for music!

• Moderators

You might consider keeping them both...one for LFE and one for music!

That is my thought. The Velodyne would dig deep for movies during those really deep sequences. One day, I'll have to do an A/B comparison for 2ch and play some demoes to see how they both sound when they are at the same dB.

When I tested my RSW-15's, they were great for music, but not so much for LFE channel and movies. My measurements also showed the RSW rolling off quickly below 20Hz.

That rolling off is typical for ported subs below their tunning frequency. The peak on the graphs is where the sub is most efficient and least distortion. I would suspect that the RSW preforms pretty good with HT but, no under 20 Hz titan. The Velosyne has a slightly stronger amp for a better sub 20 Hz response. I also recently test my subs ( Epik Legend and PA 150) after this review was started to see how a ported and sealed sub compared in my room. Interesting ideal to use one sub for LFE and the other for regular bass. Some people like this arrangement.

• Moderators

That rolling off is typical for ported subs below their tunning frequency.

The RSW-15 isn't ported though. [:D]

The peak on the graphs is where the sub is most efficient and least distortion.

Aren't the peaks due to room acoustics, not the efficiency of a speaker? Not sure how a speaker can be efficient at a certain frequency. Maybe I'm wrong.

I would suspect that the RSW preforms pretty good with HT but, no under 20 Hz titan.

That's at least what the chart is telling me.

Interesting ideal to use one sub for LFE and the other for regular bass. Some people like this arrangement.

Funny thing is since I bought the RSW-15, I've yet to turn the Velodyne back on. So far, there is PLENTY of bass from the RSW-15 and I have never felt the "need" to have the second sub on.

It will be fun doing some testing with one vs both subs during movies and also 2ch. Just to see how it compares.

For some reason I thought the sub was ported, then my guess for the drop off is the room or location of the sub. Usually sealed subs roll off very softly.

Peaks are due to room acoustics but they also occur were the sub is most efficient, for my subs around 60 Hz, this is where the amp is working the least.

My subs are not titans under 20 Hz, or heavy bottom feeders either, but I can feel vibration and pressure in the room. I am glad things are not falling off the wall, lol. Suprisingly the Epik Legend and the PA 150 graphs are fairly similar with one being sealed and the other ported..

The RSW should provide a nice top end for HT since it peaks higher and it has a nice sound. Most of the impact in movies for explsions is in the 50-80Hz region.

I think the key thing in using non-identical subs is that you can't get more low end performance, the subs need to be fairly close in performance(not an 8in and 15in) and their setup. They can compliment each other just as different size drivers in the HT. For fun I tested my sub with the real traps cd after you started this post. The post was fun and made all of us think about sub setup, placement, ect. Thank you!

One last thing, to get the max SPL for the room set the sub to 70 db as before, play the pink noise, and then test the sub by turning up the gain until it does not go up any higher on the meter or you can't take it amymore, he he, that is worth a chuckle.

• Moderators

For some reason I thought the sub was ported

The RSW-15 is a sealed enclosure with a 15" Active and a 15" Passive.

then my guess for the drop off is the room or location of the sub.

I don't see how the room or location could effect that. I can understand a null or a peak but not a droppoff. I agree with the others that Klipsch likely added a xover slope that cuts 20Hz and below. Just a guess though.

the subs need to be fairly close in performance(not an 8in and 15in) and their setup. They can compliment each other just as different size drivers in the HT.

I agree. I don't see how any 8" could benefit a setup sitting next to a 15" sub.

For fun I tested my sub with the real traps cd after you started this post. The post was fun and made all of us think about sub setup, placement, ect. Thank you!

[:D]

One last thing, to get the max SPL for the room set the sub to 70 db as before and then test the sub by turning up the gain until it does not go up any higher on the meter or you can't take it amymore, he he, that is worth a chuckle.

[:D] The last thing I want to do is blow the sub or have it bottom out. In all seriousness, how do you determine max SPL? Do I turn the volume on the sub all the way up for the test? Is there a certain frequency I use? Would I use 30Hz tone as that produced the highest dB on the meter during my test? It hit 102dB from 11ft away at my primary listening position when starting out at 80dB for the sub test tone.

Peaks are due to room acoustics but they also occur were the sub is most efficient, for my subs around 60 Hz, this is where the amp is working the least.

How did you determine that? Amperage draw?

I would have thought that they were most efficient at the tuning frequency of the box.

To really get the max SPL, you need some type of computer program, and a standard set of parameters, such as, frequecy, distance to the mic and a few more things[:$]. You can damage things, so it may not be worth finding out[:(] 102 db is like 108 db if you cut that distance in half which is nearly 2 meters. My guess is there is no filter and the drop off is due to the passive radiator and the room, like in vented subs. Vented sub and passive radiator subs have sharp drop offs. In real rooms subs never look like the graphs done outdoors.

How did you determine that? Amperage draw?

I seen the database test for one of the sub and around 60 Hz was the upper impeadance of the sub box tunning. This was also the highest peak SPL and measured with the lowest distortion and reported to be the subs most efficient frequeny. My room measurement also peaked around 60 Hz with the highest SPL, I am no expert but, just enjoy learning new things so, all comments are welcomed[8-|]