Klipsch RSW-15 vs Velodyne HGS15 Comparison

Youthman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Youth!

You could still buy the HGS series when the RSW came to market. When I only had one Velodyne HGS-18II I had my local audio store bring in a brand new RSW 15 and lugged my Velodyne into the store. My HGS-18II beat the RSW 15 by 3 dB so I expected your 15 to be nearly equal with the RSW 15. Did you make sure to turn your amp as high as it could co both at the amp plate and with your remote? Another thing was that when I maxxed the RSW 15 out the former was bottoming out and made a rattle, never have bottomed my Velodynes out. On the musical side is why I added the Klipsch KPT-684 for more musical bass response. I plan on eventually having two KPT-684s again and the two HGS-18IIs. On a final note, PWK refered to it as a "Drone Cone" not a passive radiator. I like his reference better.

Rog

Only way I could open up my RSW-15 full throttle would be outdoors!!! I like loud but I can't even rock 1/2 without worrying about the integrity of everything on my walls, glass windows, small figurines etc... Disregard hearing =+)

I open up my whole system all the time and it is 126 dB in the center of the room, one RSW 15 too loud at 1/2 volume

PFTTTT!!!!

Roger

• Moderators

Did you make sure to turn your amp as high as it could co both at the amp plate and with your remote?

Roger, no I did not. I just checked and I have both the Velodyne and the Klipsch subs just barely above 1/2 throttle. I have never used my remote on the Velodyne so I'm not sure where the "internal" volume is set at (if there is such a thing).

I have the HGS15 connected via XLR from the Emotiva UMC-1 and the RSW-15 connected via RCA.

To set the levels, I only turned on the HGS15, set my SPL meter at I believe 70db to match the other 5 speakers, turned off the HGS15 and turned on the RSW-15 and adjusted the volume on the side of the sub until it was at 70db to match the HGS15.

Then when I went through the test tones, I turned only one sub on and measured the results, turned it off and turned on the other sub and performed the same test.

I'm sure that is not the "proper" way to set nor to adjust the sub. That's just the only way I know how.

I would more than welcome your suggestions on how to setup my sub properly and test them both as I'm sure you likely have way more knowledge than I do in the area of calibration and setup.

My rf7 set, with rsw15, in a large room could hit 120db easy with the 15 set at 1 oclock position. I cranked it up for friends, could we set around and listen to it that loud ? , no, it is too loud.

Only way I could open up my RSW-15 full throttle would be outdoors!!! I like loud but I can't even rock 1/2 without worrying about the integrity of everything on my walls, glass windows, small figurines etc... Disregard hearing =+)

I open up my whole system all the time and it is 126 dB in the center of the room, one RSW 15 too loud at 1/2 volume

PFTTTT!!!!

Roger

My rf7 set, with rsw15, in a large room could hit 120db easy with the 15 set at 1 oclock position. I cranked it up for friends, could we set around and listen to it that loud ? , no, it is too loud.

PFTTTT!!!!

Roger

I am talking 126 dB at the center of the room, not 120 dB at 1 meter from the sub, the KPT-684 I have does 130 dB at 1 meter, that is over 8 times the physical sound pressure of 120 dB Not in the same ball park here fish, if the RSW-15 does 120 dB at max, it would take two of them to reah 123 dB at 1 meter! 120 dB at the center of the room will be 1/4 the physical pressure of 126 dB and I doubt the RF-7s would do that in a LARGE room as my buddies 2 K-horns and 3 LaScalas only hit 123 dB in a small room. Do I sit arround for long periods at 126 dB, no, but I put it there at least once a week or so because it puts a big smile on my face. You have to realize that you are talking a single 15 inch driver with a drone cone and 750 watts RMS vs: 4 x 18" woofers and 3,500 watts RMS.

Roger

Did you make sure to turn your amp as high as it could co both at the amp plate and with your remote?

Roger, no I did not. I just checked and I have both the Velodyne and the Klipsch subs just barely above 1/2 throttle. I have never used my remote on the Velodyne so I'm not sure where the "internal" volume is set at (if there is such a thing).

I have the HGS15 connected via XLR from the Emotiva UMC-1 and the RSW-15 connected via RCA.

To set the levels, I only turned on the HGS15, set my SPL meter at I believe 70db to match the other 5 speakers, turned off the HGS15 and turned on the RSW-15 and adjusted the volume on the side of the sub until it was at 70db to match the HGS15.

Then when I went through the test tones, I turned only one sub on and measured the results, turned it off and turned on the other sub and performed the same test.

I'm sure that is not the "proper" way to set nor to adjust the sub. That's just the only way I know how.

I would more than welcome your suggestions on how to setup my sub properly and test them both as I'm sure you likely have way more knowledge than I do in the area of calibration and setup.

Youth,

The Velodynes do have an internal Volume set by the remote, if you don't have them turned up all the way inside, you are not getting full power to the drivers. I suspect you may be leaving a little volume in the tank, try setting both at max internal and external volumes and I think the Velodyne should be equal to the Klipsch in output as my 18 was 3 dB louder at 1 meter. I doubt there is more than 3 dB difference in output of my 18s vs: your 15s

Roger

• Moderators

I usually leave it wide open on the internal and adjust the amp volume. I open it up just to show off

Ah...that makes more sense. [:D]

I did find out earlier today during my lunch break that the internal volume was turned down so I turned it all the way up.

Here is a question for you, the first test, I used the subwoofer test tone to get the levels of the HGS15 and the RSW-15 at the same level before I performed my test. I basically sounded like white noise. Is there a better test tone or at least another test tone I can use like maybe on a THX DVD? I also have a test tone CD that has different frequencies.

I usually leave it wide open on the internal and adjust the amp volume. I open it up just to show off

Ah...that makes more sense. Big Smile

I did find out earlier today during my lunch break that the internal volume was turned down so I turned it all the way up.

Here is a question for you, the first test, I used the subwoofer test tone to get the levels of the HGS15 and the RSW-15 at the same level before I performed my test. I basically sounded like white noise. Is there a better test tone or at least another test tone I can use like maybe on a THX DVD? I also have a test tone CD that has different frequencies.

Youth,

The way you did it was fine. It just made me suspicious when the RSW 15 was trumping it so badly and your frequency curve was so flat on your HGS-15. It must be nice to realize that you sudenly gained so much free sub output that you didn't know you had! [Y] You shouldn't have any problems feeling your Velodynes now!

Roger

PFTTTT!!!!

Roger

I am talking 126 dB at the center of the room, not 120 dB at 1 meter from the sub, the KPT-684 I have does 130 dB at 1 meter, that is over 8 times the physical sound pressure of 120 dB Not in the same ball park here fish, if the RSW-15 does 120 dB at max, it would take two of them to reah 123 dB at 1 meter! 120 dB at the center of the room will be 1/4 the physical pressure of 126 dB and I doubt the RF-7s would do that in a LARGE room as my buddies 2 K-horns and 3 LaScalas only hit 123 dB in a small room. Do I sit arround for long periods at 126 dB, no, but I put it there at least once a week or so because it puts a big smile on my face. You have to realize that you are talking a single 15 inch driver with a drone cone and 750 watts RMS vs: 4 x 18" woofers and 3,500 watts RMS.

Roger

I wasn't trying to compare, only replying to "rsw15 at half volume too loud, PFTTT".I was saying that in my set/room at slightly over half volume my 15 was part of 120 db loudness.I'm pretty sure that is too loud by any standard, so no PFTTT. Your set however is way beyond that, congrats, sounds very nice, and is potentially 10 times too loud? Still congrats.

• Moderators

The way you did it was fine. It just made me suspicious when the RSW 15 was trumping it so badly and your frequency curve was so flat on your HGS-15.

So here is my question, if I did it fine and they both started off at the same db, why did the RSW have higher db than the HGS? If I increase the internal volume of the HGS, that would mean that if I used test tones to set that the HGS would now be 3db higher than the RSW and not be equal at the start?

I have a Test Tone CD that generates tones from 80Hz down to 10Hz. I went in increments of 5Hz until I got down to 20Hz and then I went down in increments of 1Hz.

From 80Hz down to 25Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 5db - 9db higher.

Once we hit 20Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 dropped like a rock and from 20Hz down to 10Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 10db - 15db lower than the Velodyne HGS15.

Based on what I see, the RSW-15 outperforms the HGS15 down to 20Hz but the Velodyne trumps the RSW-15 below 20Hz.

Is there anything else you guys can deduct from this chart? I'm probably stating the obvious but some of you more technical guys might be able to interpret the data even further than what I have expressed.

Below is the graph that I charted using Excel.

Velodyne-HGS-15-vs-Klipsch-RSW-15.jpg

Youth, you started the test by setting both of them at the same SPL I'm assuming? Taken from main LP with both subs in their cabinets? Does room gain make it louder? Just weird if they both started at the same db.

• Moderators

Beechnut, yes you are correct. I sat at my LP with spl meter and played the subtest tone from the umc-1. i then turned the sub off and turned the other on and adjusted the volume on the sub till it matched the other. ill have to redo the test to see if i get the same results

I know the room calibration white noise is a broadband sound unlike a specific 20hz tone, etc. so I guess I could see how once you step away from the broad tones an isolate them, you could get the db differences, even if they started out with the aggregate at the same level. Thanks for all the updates. We have some smart folks here.

The way you did it was fine. It just made me suspicious when the RSW 15 was trumping it so badly and your frequency curve was so flat on your HGS-15.

So here is my question, if I did it fine and they both started off at the same db, why did the RSW have higher db than the HGS? If I increase the internal volume of the HGS, that would mean that if I used test tones to set that the HGS would now be 3db higher than the RSW and not be equal at the start?

Youth,

I guess the real point is that

A) with a test cd, a flatter response is more desirable as otherwise the speaker is coloring the sound.

B) I think that internal volume is limiting output.

C) I would like to see frequency responses at full output of both woofers to see how they stack up.

Roger

• Moderators

C) I would like to see frequency responses at full output of both woofers to see how they stack up.

Sounds like a Klipsch vs. Velodyne showdown is in need. [:D] I'll see if I can carve out some time this weekend to setup another test.