Klipsch RSW-15 vs Velodyne HGS15 Comparison

Youthman

• Moderators

Until now, the ownly subwoofers I have ever owned were Velodyne. I began with a CT-100 (10" with 100 watt amp), then to an F-1500 (15" with 250 watt amp), to a single Velodyne HGS15 (15" with 1250 watt amp) to finally dual Velodyne HGS15's. I have been more than satisfied with the Velodyne HGS15's. They dig to the depths of the Earth without being boomy. They seem to blend very well with the rest of my RF-83 setup.

I had the opportunity to purchase an RSW-15 in Maple finish in amazing condition but with the business of the Thanksgiving holiday, so far, I have only been able to photograph it. Tomorrow, I hope to pull one of my Velodyne HGS15's out from behind the false wall to do some side by side photo comparison as well as do some non-scientific (Youthman style) A/B testing between the two.

I've always heard that the RSW-15's are fantastic for music, yet still very good for HT. If the RSW-15 sounds great for music, my thought is to sell one of my HGS15's and keep the RSW-15 and have the best of HT and 2ch.

The RSW-15 in Maple is absolutely georgeous! I really had not done my homework to see just hwo large this sub is. I believe it is going to totally dwarf my HGS15, especially in depth. It is massive, intimidating and drop dead georgeous.

Specs are similar between the two subs:

RSW-15

Dimensions: 19.2" H x 18.6" W x 24.5" D
Weight: 85lbs
Frequency Response: Plays down to 19 Hz.
Drivers: 15" Active and 15" Passive
Amp: 650 w continuous / 2400 w Dynamic BASH amp.

Velodyne HGS15

Dimensions: 14" cubed
Weight: 95lbs
Frequency Response: Plays down to 15 Hz
15" Active
Amp: 1250 w RMS / 3000 Peak

I can't wait to hear how it sounds in my room. [ :D] So until tomorrow, here are some pics of the Klipsch RSW-15 in Maple Finish.

Klipsch-RSW-15-1.jpg

Klipsch-RSW-15-2.jpg

Klipsch-RSW-15-3.jpg

RSW-15 shown next to RF-83 and Chorus II

Klipsch-RSW-15-4.jpg

Klipsch-RSW-15-5.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subscribed!

I was planning on supplementing my RSW-15 with a "HT" sub latter in life when we have a dedicated media room. Totally looking forward to hearing about your experience. I jumped right into this sub from a passive Bose module of course I was blown away. I've since heard a SVS pb12 ultra/2 in a forum members home and I know there is a difference. That's why I say it is good for HT and many would be happy forever. But that SVS was phenomenal!

Michael,

Beautiful sub. I think you will be very pleased at the results of your testing. Your HGS-15 is your template for HT and music so this fight will be fair. They are lining up at the door to get their tickets to this rumble(pardon the pun[:D])

[li][8][li][8]

Bill

It is not that hard to mix non-identical subs into a system.

I have to agree. My RSW-10d and Revel B15 seem to blend perfectly. I have the RSW-10d coming in to play at 80Hz and the B15 handling the lower duties from 50Hz down to around to 17Hz.

Hmmm, I wonder how an RSW-15 and a B15 would sound together?[;)]

Bill

• Moderators

Beechnut, I've always read that the RSW-15 isn't the deepest sub but I'm wondering is there really that much difference between 19Hz and 15Hz? I know at some point the sub is moving and you can no longer hear it nor can you really feel anything from it (at least that was the case with my HGS15. I did some test tones quite awhile back. Not sure how low I went. Maybe that was going below the 15Hz that the Velodyne could play?

I jumped right into this sub from a passive Bose module of course I was blown away.

Oh wow. I bet that was one sweet day when you all of a sudden realized what you had been missing in the LFE.

I have yet to hear an SVS but everything you read about the PB12 Ultra/2 is that it SLAMS! I'm sure that makes it truly remarkable for HT. At one time I was wanting the 12 plus 2 model (that was the one that was like a big rectangle with dual 12" firing downward). They said that sub would compromise the integrity of your walls. LOL

Bill, I forgot you were using non-matching subs as well. That's good to
know that they can work nicely together. I'm looking forward to doing
some testing later today. Have to get some stuff done around the house
before play time.

Stay tuned...

I was originally gonna save for a PB13 Ultra. But at $2K, when the RSW-15 came along for $750 (I think), figured I'd jump into it and come back to the SVS later. Honestly, if I get my own room, I think the wife will not be as concerned with aesthetics and I may go DIY. That F20 is physically huge but sounds so promising.

Congrats on a great looking sub youth I want one (are you

the same youth that says he’s cheap?). All kidding aside running different subs

can work pretty well I did it with 3 different ones at one point and had good results.

That said I would still consider it a step back compared to running two identical

subs. Plus (correct me if I’m wrong) you don’t use a sub eq so getting them all

dialed in will be even tougher. Imo keeping what you got probably will outperform

one of each different subs.

As far as a difference with 15hz and 19hz it all depends on

the max db output capabilities of each. Sealed subs have a slow roll off so

they can dig really deep. It takes a ton of power to get a lot of usable low

end output like 20hz or lower. That also means you need a driver that can

handle all that power. With ported you just tune them to say 15hz and you get

massive output all the way down to 15 or whatever you tune them to (I tune mine

to 20). But after that they are out of gas and fall off a cliff. Svs ported

models are amazing ht subs and are a little boomy for that reason. I do love my

svs subs but would not use the ported models for a 2 channel set up (never have

heard the svs sealed subs).

By the way off topic when did you get those Chorus II? I have

been looking on CL for something similar to go listen too (they get so much

hype on this forum that I’m really curious). What do you think are they all the

hype compared to the rf-83s or do you prefer the 83s?

• Moderators

(are you
the same youth that says he’s cheap?).

Yep, same cheap guy [;)]

you don’t use a sub eq

Correct, I only have my UMC-1 and the settings on the sub itself. No external EQ.

It takes a ton of power to get a lot of usable low
end output like 20hz or lower. That also means you need a driver that can
handle all that power.

Yes, that is why the Velodynes put such large amps in their subs (mine is 1250 watt RMS / 3000 Peak). With ported, you don't need near as much power.

By the way off topic when did you get those Chorus II?

I purchased them earlier this month. I've never owned a pair of Heritage so I bought them out of curiosity.

What do you think are they all the
hype compared to the rf-83s or do you prefer the 83s?

I am very pleased with how they sound. Definitely very musical speaker and they sound "larger" than the 83's. Not sure how best to describe that. Maybe it's a wider soundstage I'm hearing, not sure. It's just has a "bigger" feel to their sound. I haven't had had the time to do any real A/B testing between them. Been far too busy lately.

Thanks A1 and Viper.

So far, I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing with the RSW-15 and I absolutely love the finish on it....actually moreso than I do with the piano black Velodynes. To me, the wood grain just adds an elegance and beauty to it that the piano black just doesn't have.

I doubt very seriously I'll keep all 3. My thought was to purchase the RSW-15 and as long as it sounds as good as the Velodyne HGS15, I'll sell one of them and replace it with the RSW-15.

So far, I pulled out one of the HGS15 and put the RSW-15 in it's place. I figure that would make the best A/B comparison as now I have one HGS15 and the RSW-15 behind the false wall (one on each side).

So far, I pulled out one of the HGS15 and put the RSW-15 in it's place. I figure that would make the best A/B comparison as now I have one HGS15 and the RSW-15 behind the false wall (one on each side).

Michael,

If I were you, I would point the active woofer(rear) into the room and place the passive side toward the wall. You don't want any unwanted reverbe issues going on to distort your comparison results.

Bill

• Moderators

Question regarding the RSW-15...Is the Active or Passive in the back of the sub (by the amp)? I'm assuming the amp points towards your front wall and the front (where the light is) faces towards your listening area.

One thing I might try is facing the RSW-15 to the right since I have a firm wall on the left of it (wall that divides the middle section of the false wall cabinet and an open space on the right (where my RF-83's usually are behind the false wall)

• Moderators

If I were you, I would point the active woofer(rear) into the room and place the passive side toward the wall. You don't want any unwanted reverbe issues going on to distort your comparison results.

Just curious why you suggest that? It just seems strange to do that since the sub is apparently designed to have the passive forward since the grill is on the front side. Do you have your amp plate facing you and the grill facing the wall in your setup?

Hmmm, I wonder how an RSW-15 and a B15 would sound together?Wink

Bill

I don't know Bill, but it sounds like fun

I would still consider it a step back compared to running two identical
subs------ Not necessarily reference head. I don't use a sub EQ but, level match the subs one at a time, then run autocalibration and let the avr take care of phase and standing waves issues. Placement is a key point with multiple subs. I have ran testone and the cude graphs look pretty good. I have a pretty even bass response around the room so, I don't think using identical subs would make a big difference in my room. I could get some stronger bottom feeders but, I don't feel the need at this point.

1. The use of identical subwoofers is the easiest choice for setup and
    calibration. This does not mean that you cannot use different subwoofers. It
    simply means that it may take longer to adjust the levels of two different
    subwoofers.

• Moderators

Ok, I just returned from some initial testings. I used my meter to set both subs at equal volume, turning one on at a time to set the levels to equal.

I ran some demoes from Norah Jones to Bluray movies of The Dark Knight. There are some great songs with a lot of upright bass in them in Norah that allowed me to hear various low frequencies with the RSW-15. Very smoothe, but punchy sound. I was "feeling" the bass notes as well as hearing them.

Switching over to the Velodyne, I didn't feel that it was as musical. Sounded good but I was just feeling more with the RSW-15.

Moving over to the Dark Knight opening sequence, to my surprise, the RSW-15 was MUCH more impactful than the HGS15. I jumped to the tunnel scene where the Joker shows up in the semi truck trying to break into the moving armored truck. Lots of explosions and LFE here to test the subs. Again, to my surprise, the RSW-15 was more impactful and often delivered 2db more SPL than the HGS15.

I put in one of my favorite scenes in the Book of Eli where they are inside the house getting shot up from the guys outside. Again, lots of dynamics here with the gunshots, gatlin gun, rocket launcher and grenade explosions. Once again, the RSW-15 was victorious over the HGS15.

I'll be honest, I'm actually very surprised. I really thought I was going to see the RSW-15 outperform the HGS15 in music but not movies.

I was so skeptical that I went back into the UMC-1 calibration and tested the levels of both subs and they both read the same db level.

Needless to say, I am MORE THAN THRILLED with the performance of the RSW-15.

I'll definitely have to do some additional testing but it might just prove that the RSW-15 is plenty for my room and end up selling both of my Velodyne HGS15's. One of the main reasons I purchased the 2nd HGS15 was I wanted to "feel" the bass more during movies. The RSW-15 has proven it is more than capable of doing that on it's own. [:D]

I'm headed back into the HT to plot a chart showing the db of various frequencies between the two speakers.

• Moderators

I have a Test Tone CD that generates tones from 80Hz down to 10Hz. I went in increments of 5Hz until I got down to 20Hz and then I went down in increments of 1Hz.

From 80Hz down to 25Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 5db - 9db higher.

Once we hit 20Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 dropped like a rock and from 20Hz down to 10Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 10db - 15db lower than the Velodyne HGS15.

Based on what I see, the RSW-15 outperforms the HGS15 down to 20Hz but the Velodyne trumps the RSW-15 below 20Hz.

Is there anything else you guys can deduct from this chart? I'm probably stating the obvious but some of you more technical guys might be able to interpret the data even further than what I have expressed.

Below is the graph that I charted using Excel.

Velodyne-HGS-15-vs-Klipsch-RSW-15.jpg