Help Needed Diagnosing Loss of Right Channel Please

John Chi-town

Fellow members;

A few minuets ago I powered up my system, after preamp went on I set to Aux 1 heard static through amp and immediately shut down. When I powered the system back up and tried a CD no noise yet no sound from right channel. I have a fairly long cable run that runs from amp to sub which has been stepped on a few times by kid and dog, so this is not the first popping experience in the last few weeks. The pops that I have witnessed are very short bursts of static when stepped on or moved, etc. Has happened maybe a half dozen times at most.

I am no technical wizard and am wondering how I can diagnose the issue without a professional house call or dragging in 3 plus pieces to a repair shop which will cost big dollars as well.

My system profile is outlined below. I am assuming that I should start with fuses? I am fairly certain that the amp and preamp would have but my forte II?

Also my amp is not making any strange noise and thermal protection and distortion alert did not come on that I could see. Complete loss of sound on right channel.

Could it be the preamp? I am thinking that it is probably either the amp or speaker and hopefully not more than a fuse.

I greatly appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide in helping me resolve.

Thanks in advance.

John

First, knock out the obvious. Try hooking your other speaker to the right channel and see if the same thing happens. If not, at least you know it's not the speaker. From there...well...that's out of my expertise, ha ha. Good luck to you, hopefully someone else will chime in with some more ideas.

Ivanhurd,

Thanks was just getting to that as you made the suggestion. The right channel forte II works when plugged into left, and the left does not work when plugged into right.

So the forte II seam to be fine and the problem has to be in the amp and or preamp. My guess is the amp. But I wonder if there is a way to determine for certain?

Thanks again!

John

Thanks Andy, unfortunately I do not own a pair of headphones. I did try in CD position and again only the left channel works. I swapped speakers and my dedicated right speaker works fine when connected to the left channel of the preamp. That being said can I say for certainty that the bad fuse or channel is in the amp and not the preamp?

When I go through my owners manual there is no fuse description on the Adcom 5802 amp. Is it possible that the amp does not have a fuse for the 2 channels?

Attached is a link to the owners manual:

http://www.adcom-usa.com/userguides/gfa-5802-ug.pdf

Thanks!

John

Well it is definitely the amp. Either a blown fuse or blown right channel. I connected the CD player directly to the amp, and only left channel works. In addition only left side of the amps cooling fins are warming up, wheras the right side is cold as ice.

Thanks to everyone who added input and guided me through figuring out which piece needed attention. Now I am starting to wonder what the average repair cost is for a blown channel?

Thanks!

John

Thanks again Ivanhurd! Thinking I may want to have them work the left channel as well, even if it tests good. The amp is anywhere from 11-15 years old now and I would hate to have to bring in again in the near future.

I am uncertain of exact age since I bought on the used market several years ago. Can anyone comment on whether or not I should have both channels worked on if more than a fuse issue?

Thanks!

John

Hornlover60;

Thanks. I have used in the past and you are right repairs take forever unless you are willing to pony up extra cash for a quicker diagnosis and repair. They did a good job on an older adcom GTP 500II Preamp / tuner that I owned many moons ago.

I am going to check with Sound and Video who were originally in Palatine and are now located in Deer Park, just South of Lake Zurich on Route 12.

Here is there website in case you ever need: http://www.soundandvideo.com/store/

Thanks again for your assistance. If they can't help, then it is off to Midwest Audio in Arlington Heights.

John

Send Snail Mail to:

Deltronics 2911 N. Halsted Chicago IL

Phone 773.549.6635

Fax 773.549.6230

Deltronics 2003 W. 75th St., Woodridge
IL 60517

630-910-6630

Call for info

Email Addresses:

info@deltronicschicago.com

jon@deltronicschicago.com

nikki@deltronicschicago.com

Or Send us a Comment or question below

A & G Radio & TV

S. Cicero Ave.
Oak Lawn IL 60453

Tel 708-424-6868

I have use A&G in Oak Lawn and Deltronic's in downtown Chicago for service on my M 70 amps. Not sure of the cost?. One of my Yamaha M 70's amps, I am currently not using if you are interested, 200 watts RMS/channel (excellent condition - refurbished this year).

• 2 months later...

Well after 2 1/2 months in the shop it has been determined that my Adcom 5802 needed to be buried, Entire right channel bus blew-up. Parts were obsolete according to Adcom.

So I talked with Adcom and they gave me a great deal on a bipolar design 250 WPC @ 8 ohms. A 50+ pound tank named the GFA-565SE.

I have less than 4-5 hours of use on, just received. However I like the sound thus far.

Thanks to all who provided input.

John

So I talked with Adcom and they gave me a great deal on a bipolar design 250 WPC @ 8 ohms. A 50+ pound tank named the GFA-565SE.

Looks like a reincarnated GFA 555MKII. Has 50 more watts in 8ohm stereo and 100 more watts in bridged but everything else inlcuding 4 ohm operation is almost identical.

Sorry to hear about your 5802.