7.2 WIRING METHODS FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS.... QUESTION???????????

HoustonIII

Im need wiring advice for my HT. I currently have C30 center, 2 F30's for the fronts, 2 F20's on stands for surrounds and 2 SW350 subs. Im now upgrading my AVTuner from a Yamaha RXV471 5.1 to a RXV673 7.2. The reason is BECAUSE I ALSO have 2 additional (new) F20's that I would like to pair up in the front with the F30's. (An F30 and an F20 beside each other on each side of my flat screen. QUESTION: Should I wire the new F20's in the zone2/extra sp/presence terminal? Im slightly confused. Im being informed that the new F20's Im putting up beside the F30's should be hooked up in surround terminal, the F30's will still stay on the front terminals and my existing surround speakers will now be hooked up as surround back/BI amp.

• Moderators

If you look at Page 19 of the owners manual, it will show you exactly how to set it up. If you want to use 7.1 setup and also add presence speakers, yes, the presence speakers would be connected to the Zone2/Presence connection on your receiver.

presence-speakers.jpg

• Moderators

My understanding is that presence speakers are designed by nature to be at a higher elevation than the main speakers to provide "presence" or "height" to the sound. Wouldn't it defeat the purpose to have them placed directly beside the main speakers?

z11roomdiag.jpg

As a presence setup, yes they should go higher on the wall but I think the goal is to have a F50 (F30+F20) [:P] main setup.

I know that when running identical speakers such as 2 Heresys on each side, the advice is to turn the top speaker upside down to prevent comb filtering of the two speakers but I really am not sure of what to do here. Am I correct to think that the goal is to have all 4 speakers in use as the front main speakers?

The mains should be enough for your home. Use the extra speakers as Front Height or Front Wide to get a more immersive experience. The F 20's would work as wide speakers since they are tower. Surround back speakers will also be utilized in a lot of BD. System balance is the key to a good HT.

Define Front wide? Meaning slightly to the side of my fronts but angled? Then would I put them as surround and the existing surrounds would now be surround back? If hook them up on the presence/zone 2 terminal, it eliminates the surround back while its on. Meaning That I would keep my existing surrounds still hooked up to the surround terminal. SCREW IT! IM CONFUSED

Define Front wide? Meaning slightly to the side of my fronts but angled? Then would I put them as surround and the existing surrounds would now be surround back? If hook them up on the presence/zone 2 terminal, it eliminates the surround back while its on. Meaning That I would keep my existing surrounds still hooked up to the surround terminal. SCREW IT! IM CONFUSED

So if I put the F20's as front wide and on the presence terminal and say a couple of feet to each side of the F30's? Right? Then keep my surrounds hooked to the surround terminal. The reason I say that is because the surround back will not be used cuz it will cancel out when I go into the Zone2/presence. Can I just put the F20's as surround, my surrounds will now be surround back and of course the F30's will remain fronts? Gezzz, I want to just broaden the sound! I cant believe a 7.2 will not give me what I wanting. The terms you guys use loose me, I will probably just put the F20's in a closet and stay with 5.1. I cant keep upgrading and not achieving my goal here. THANKS FOR EVERY ONES HELP THOUGH!!!!!!!!!! I may venture into buying the 7.2 some day soon, just probably not this weekend now. Not untill I get confirmation on some things. Again, thanks again....

• Moderators

I would stack them

Would you seriously place an RF-5 on top of your RF-7ii's? I know I wouldn't. If it ever fell, someone is going to die or a wall is going to get taken out.

It sounds like you are wanting to add them as Front Wides instead of Frong Height. I'm not sure if both are derived from the same channel (ex. Presence) or if they are different (like Surround and Surround Back are).

So if I put the F20's as front wide and on the presence terminal and say a couple of feet to each side of the F30's? Right?

You are correct, put the F 20's on the presence terminal and leave the surround in the surround terminal. You can have surround back speakers also. The catch is like my system, only the presence(Front Wide/Front Height) speakers or the surrround back will work in a movie. You would need an 11.2 avr to do what I think you want. No movies are made for that format. I let the BD/avr default to which speaker to use for 7.2 playback. I like the way the system works. Five speaker in the front stage is plenty: to double the mains would most likely drownout the other speakers for a less immersive effect and may muddy the suound. Also, if you had 4 main speaker, the autocalibration would cut the signal to them trying to balance the system. There should be little to add by doubling the main speakers. Even with DTS Neo X, the other channels are matrix. You need a big space to support 11 speakers for the correct spatial relationships/image. Front Heights are the easiest to accomodate for most people.

I am confused. Do you have 7 or 9 speakers? Not including the subs.

From what you said you only have 7 speakers so you should not worry about height speakers.

If you have 7 plus subs just do the normal 1 center, 2 front, 2 side surround, 2 rear surround and your subs.

I have basically a 9.4 system with the front heights and I don't feel the heights are worth the waste of time.

If you ever want to listen to them you have to change the avr to dolby PL II z Height setting.

I just leave it in an auto detect for surround sound.

So I end up never listening to the front heights.