A couple of swell Michigan dudes.....

bhenry

I reached out for help with some sound quality issues to a guy (Diz Rotus) on the forum who is local to me a couple of weeks ago. He was unable to help me but put me in contact with Glenn (Picky) who is also a local guy. Glenn invited me over for a listen to his theater to get an idea of what I was looking for and since we have very similar set ups we knew if I liked his then mine could (or at least we hoped) perform just as well.

Glenn has a mighty impressive theater (plus we're both Ford guys so we got along just fine) and I was hoping to get mine in the same league. So he brings over an SPL meter and we start checking my settings to see where the problems are. I knew I had some lower frequency issues (extremely boomy bass which at times was totally absent then all of sudden there would be bass so deep and loud that it would make the pictures crooked on the walls upstairs) but I wasn't able to figure out which frequencies were the problem. We ran some test tones and were able to find some dips and peaks in my room.

Glenn was very helpful and went out of his way to help me out. We were able to completely eliminate the boomyness in the bass and smooth it out substantially with some adjustments. But it still wasn't quite right. So I had a short session and was able to tweak the previous adjustments to get it right. I think it's finally right. Glenn is very knowledgeable and taught me how to use the room equalization and room resonance features on my pre amp where I could play with the adjustments on my own until I got it where I wanted it.

Thanks Glenn and Neil, I really appreciate the help! -Brett

Brett: Thanks so much! It was my pleasure to come over to your home yesterday, meet your awesome Golden Lab "Duncan" (or is it "Dunkin"? LOL) and enjoy spending the afternoon with you tweaking your system. You have a fine setup and I am envious of your twin RSW-15's and that beautiful, monster of an amp you have. I'm thrilled that we were able to get your system back to where you enjoyed it so much at your other home! Thank's too to my good friend Neil (Diz Rotus) for hooking the two of us up! It's always great to make new friends, especially when there's Klipsch in common! What a GREAT FORUM we all have! KLIPSCH RULES!! -Glenn

Excellent to hear. Yeah, Glenn is a great guy. I've met him a few times over the years at the various 'Pilgrimages'. In fact, if Klipsch has another one again this upcoming year, you should consider going. I've missed the last couple simply due to things coming up at work and such, but I am sure as hell going to try to go to this next one (assuming Klipsch has it again).

BTW, glad to hear you got your rig straightened out and sounding good. I have nearly an identical setup as you have so I know what it should be capable of. I also have a B&K Reference amp as well (mine is the 200.7), so I know what a beast that thing is.

Indeed. Glenn was most helpful! Glenn, glad you liked my dog, I have to admit he's pretty cool and he loves visitors. I would love to attend the Pilgrimage but it typically is on the last day of school for my wife (she's a teacher) and that makes it difficult for her. Wait.......I just had an idea! I could leave her at home! No, I wouldn't do that.

It's always fun to listen to and experience someone else's system and to get to know them better And, if we can be of help to them, so much the better! -Glenn

Hey Glenn, help an old swabbie out. come out to SoCal and teach me how to play the Cornwalls loud; but, without disturbing the neighbors....oh yeah, bring a few bottles of hot sauce too.

Steve

• Moderators

It's always nice to hear when people meet, but there never seems to be enough time. I have to say of everyone I have met here, it's really been fun and my pleasure, Thanks [Y]

It's always nice to see Picky and Mrs V, then maby head to California, then back around through Texas and straight over to Florida, and up the East coast a little. That should about cover it, make it a listening/party/eating and [bs]'ing tour.

This might take a while, but that's going to be the fun part.

It's always nice to hear when people meet, but there never seems to be enough time. I have to say of everyone I have met here, it's really been fun and my pleasure, Thanks Yes

Elden--someday you'll meet me and come back and edit that line you just wrote. [:)] I'm sure after a while, you'll be asking me to recreate getting run over by the truck, with you offering to drive the truck [:)]. Hope you and your family are having a nice Christmas Season.

Steve

• Moderators

No I wouldn't want to recreate that, I think being run over by a truck once is enough for anyone. Although if we were to walk to go get something to eat would you mind if I walk a little behind you ? [:$]

Hope you have a good Christmas also, and look both ways, twice, your getting to old to do that again. [:o]

I had a short session today and things are doing quite well. i notice some very interesting acoustic abnormalities by opening and closing the door to my laundry room.......it's really kind of bizarre. The bass gets slightly sloppy and the highs bounce all over the place and jack the sound all up. Funny how just the door can do that, but if it hadn't been for the time Glen made for me with his SPL meter I would still be struggling with this and somebody would have found my gear in a pile at the curb on garbage day. I joke, but it was getting that serious. Thanks again, Glen!

• Moderators

Wow that is strange, but you never know what can change sound waves in a room. Also some areas seem to be more dramatic than others.

We have a china cabinet almost in a corner in the rear of another room, (both are open) it rattles and vibrates with different tones with anything over a medium volume, open the two door on the cabinet and it's quiet.

You never know what's going to be affected.

Cool collection of equipment. [Y]

I had a short session today and things are doing quite well. i notice some very interesting acoustic abnormalities by opening and closing the door to my laundry room.......it's really kind of bizarre. The bass gets slightly sloppy and the highs bounce all over the place and jack the sound all up. Funny how just the door can do that, but if it hadn't been for the time Glen made for me with his SPL meter I would still be struggling with this and somebody would have found my gear in a pile at the curb on garbage day. I joke, but it was getting that serious. Thanks again, Glen!

Brett: Are you saying that it sounds BETTER with the laundry room door CLOSED? If so, that confirms the assumption I made to you when I said that doorway needed a door to tighten up the bass and help with the overall sound distribution. -Glenn

Hey Glenn, I was out of town for a bit- drove down to NC. Glad to hear that your mother is doing well and I hope this continues.

Yes, the door surely helps! When I open the door the bass goes a little sloppy- not horrific, but it's totally noticeable. The most surprising thing to me is how bad the treble gets. It bounces all over the place and becomes so harsh and over powering at higher volumes. The reason I'm surprised by this is because this isn't where my initial problems were- it was with very boomy and at times, totally absent bass. It seems to have fixed a problem I didn't even know I had. I wonder if the cleaner bass made the problems with the highs come out or if the sloppy bass hid what was already there. Whatever happened here I don't know, but I'm glad that it seems to be corrected.

I'll call you soon and we'll set up a listen, huh? Happy New Year.