Klipsch Newb.

SyberSaint

Hello Guyz,

Klipsch newb here and was looking for some good sound advice.

I am looking at putting buying some new speakers for my family room. This is NOT a "Designated Theater", but a multi-purpose room that is open to the kitchen and breakfast nook. I am looking at a 5.1 system. With the system we will watch regular TV, movies and listen to music (rock and country).

I have gone to a local store here in San Antonio, and listen to the Klipsch and I REALLY like them. I was an Air Force Jet Propulsion tech for 20 years and have Tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss. When I heard the Klipcsh they sounded GREAT. I am looking at the Reference Front. RF-82 II, and Center RC-62 II. I would like to get some in-ceiling surrounds to pair up with these speakers. Can any one here on this forum give me a recommendation? I have a Yamaha Receiver, and a Def Tech powered sub at this time.

• Moderators

Welcome

There is not alot of people here with experience with in ceilings so answers might be slow ?

Probably a good idea would be to call Klipsch and ask what they think would be the best match, I know they have reference models I just don't know about it to help.

Really just wanted to say welcome, with what your looking at I think you will be very happy. [Y]

Welcome sir! And let's not forget the best advice for newcomers, do not pay retail for your refrence speakers! Call mike at acoustic sound design and ask what deal he can give you on rf-82 home theater with the rear speakers you want! He will blow you away with how much you'll save. Spend that extra on a good subwoofer or avr. If you go with a klipsch sub go sw-115. Otherwise you should look at some other companies like svs, hsu, or rhytmik. They are the top three I would say now. Keep us updated, and if you have any questions just ask! And again welcome! This is a great place with some smart people!

Syber Saint: Welcome to the forum! I chimed-in here because I am one of the lucky members who was fortunate to listen to the entire Klipsch THK In-Ceiling speaker system at the Klipsch Headquarters in Indianapolis a few years back. They had the complete system installed in one of the engineering department listening rooms and I must say that it was amazing. I realize they are very pricey ($999.00 each), but the KS-7502-THX In-Ceiling surrounds should mesh nicely with the RF-82 II fronts. To experience the entire THX in-ceiling system is a bit unnerving because you can hear the rich, full sound being distributed into all of the expected regions of the room, yet there aren't any speakers sitting in front of or beside you. Klipsch really went out of their way to get the projection on these speakers just right. There are other in-ceiling Klipsch models to choose from, however, they do not exhibit some of the advanced design capabilities that the KS-7502-THX do. Perhaps, If the 7502's are out of your budget, you might ask one of the Klipsch Employees here on the forum to consult with the engineering department for you to recommend an appropriate in-ceiling model more within your budget that would mesh well with the voicing of the RF-82 II's you have selected. Best of luck! -Glenn

post-10177-13819826736432_thumb.jpg

Glenn,

Thank you very much for your input. I think that I have decided to step up to the RF-7 II front speakers. Do you think that the KS-7502-THX speakers will sound good with the RF-7 II??? Also, do you think the in wall front speakers are something to consider over the towers?? What are your thoughts? I would not mind going with a complete in wall HT system,, If so, what speakers front in wall speakers should I use....

Dale in San Antonio

Glenn,

Thank you very much for your input. I think that I have decided to step up to the RF-7 II front speakers. Do you think that the KS-7502-THX speakers will sound good with the RF-7 II??? Also, do you think the in wall front speakers are something to consider over the towers?? What are your thoughts? I would not mind going with a complete in wall HT system,, If so, what speakers front in wall speakers should I use....

Dale in San Antonio

Dale: Although Klipsch does make some incredible In-Wall systems, they are still a compromise to floor-standing models. Just as ivanhurd mentioned, I would recommend you stick with the floorstanders if you have the space and yes, the RF-7 II's will out-do the RF-82 II's. But, I am a bit biased because my own system is RF-7-based. ;)

Yes, the RF-7 II's will mesh well with the KS-7502-THX In-Ceiling models, however they too are an expensive compromize to using a pair of RS-62 II's or even the RS-41 II's which are both more-affordable models. Remember they are side-surrounds and should be mounted to each side wall (slightly forward or behind) of your seating and up higher, more towards the ceiling in order to achieve the proper effect and to make localization more difficult. Should you decide to go with rear surrounds for a 7.1 system, that is where you could get away with a good pair of rear, in-wall speakers (like the R-5650-W II), which is exactly what I did when I installed a pair of RCW-5's. They work great as rears! I have an RC-7 center, RS-7 sides, RCW-5 rears and an RSW-15 sub. -Glenn

• Moderators

Remember they are side-surrounds and should be mounted to each side wall (slightly forward or behind) of your seating and up higher, more towards the ceiling in order to achieve the proper effect and to make localization more difficult.

I would not recommend putting the side surrounds in front of your listening position. Slightly behind is will yield much better results.

I would not recommend putting the side surrounds in front of your listening position. Slightly behind is will yield much better results.

Youthman: Although I do agree with you, slightly rearward is not always feasible as is the case in my own thester. (Please refer to the grainy photo) You can see that my RS-7's are almost directly above the heads of folks seated in our theater recliners, yet, because of their design, they are very difficult for listeners to localize. Combined with the rear in-wall RCW-5's (visible white grills in the photo) in our room, the effectiveness of the surround channels is mad! -Glenn

post-10177-13819826929468_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

My concern was his statement of placing them in front of the listening position, which still would not be a good idea. I cannot see how a side surround being in front of you would be beneficial at all. Just my thoughts.