What listening mode do you use / prefer?

TasDom

My processor has a plethora of different listening modes and I'm curious as to what others are using.

For directv and blu-ray mine is set to Dolby. This has been the best for me for 5.1 sources and switches to Dolby Pro Logic IIx when a 2.0 source is input and converts to 5.1

I mainly listen to music (Pandora) thru my HTPC connected via HDMI to my processor and have really been enjoying the Neo:6 Music mode.

anyways, just wondering what other preferences are and maybe if I'm not utilizing the best listening modes.

For me, I usually let the BDP/ AVR default pick the mode for BD movies. For TV, DPIIz since I don't care for a lot of bass unless it is an action show. Neo:6 is nice for music: I use straight stereo and DPIIz for music with vocals or midrange sounds(some jazz). Extended stereo is nice for party music. THX mode for soft dialogue movies.

Naturally for BD movies, I choose native uncompressed format(Dolby TrueHD or DTSHDMA). For BD concerts, I switch back and forth from uncompressed 5.1 to uncompressed 2.1 LPCM. Most CD's, SACD's and Pandora streaming, I used my NAD's "enhanced stereo" mode which is a boosted all channel stereo mode. For plain ole TV and sports, enhanced stereo also.

Bill

I'm kind of the same as bill. I go as native as possible. Dolby truhd or dts-hd and stereo for music. You have an onkyo right tas? If do I use pure on my onkyo. Them 83's with the xpa-5 power will sound fantastic. Pure is flat with no extra processing and those babies will sing!

With Onkyo gear, which I have a lot of, the receivers pretty much select the best mode when playing blu-rays, most DVD's, some HD cable channels, DVD-A, and SACD.

Sometimes when I am connected to cable or other sources the signal defaults to something like "All Channel Stereo". Although this is OK, if I am watching TV it is not good and I change it to "TV Logic". If I am listening to music, and sitting in the sweet spot, I select "Studio-Mix". Lastly, if I am listening to music and moving about a lot, I choose "Full Mono". That way, I get equal sound no matter where I am in the room.

Keep in mind that the Onkyo DSP modes will work with any signal including Analog, PCM, Dolby Digital, etc. You do not want to use one of the DSP modes when the signal is Dolby Digital, DTS, or higher. Use those modes or simply leave the mode to "Direct" which bypasses the DAC in the receiver alltogether.