Will this plywood be ok for some shop/garage cabinets.

The Dude

I am starting to clean out my garage and would like to build some cabinets/shelves so I have a better work station. I was looking at this plywood from Menards.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/plywood/3-4-classic-birch-plywood-wood-veneer-core/p-1480808-c-5698.htm

Its 11 Ply birch veneered, for 38.99 I thought was a decent price, is there anything else anyone would recommend that would be cheaper and just as good if not better. I don't want to use mdf to messy and don't care for the look. I have Lowes and HD for options as well. Don't expect any pics of this project for a while as I am slow at these kind of things but once I get going I will post some pics down the road.

I didn't look but it might be what is called "shop birch" which is plywood where the veneer has imperfections and is not completely finished. It will give you lots of splinters when working with it, but sand it and it will look nice for a garage. Wood is expensive here in the desert and shop birch is about $35 to $40 a sheet. Seems reasonable if local. 11 ply is nice.

As you know, plywood is very strong. I have shelves and cabinets that I built in my early 20's that are going strong. This should be fine.

• Moderators

I don't know where lavista is, [:|] do you have Lowes stores there ? They have a nice Red Oak 13 ply for $10 a sheet more. Took 13 sheets for for my last speaker project, 4 cabinets for me and 3 small ones for my sister so i did cut alot and only found a couple of tiny voids.

That Birch should be fine if not, any hardwood ply is better than the standard junk, better glue and less voids from what I have found

I don't know where lavista is, Indifferent

Out in the middle of no where, just kidding just south of Omaha, NE. I have a lowes with in walking distance, to be truthful I like the looks of birch over oak. Though anything with the right stain looks nice, even pine. But I do need 7 sheets and I am on a tight budget as it is, and the extra 70, would kill my budget. But now that I know you have used their ply for speaker cabs, I might give their birch a try sometime. Thanks for the heads up.

I've used the stuff, and will tell you it will sag a lot more than Euro Birch. The sag isn't a problem as long as you engineer for it. IMO, if you are going to use this stuff, you might want to look at the 3/4 stuff

3/4 is what I thought I posted, but yes will be using 3/4.

• Moderators

Don't blame you on the price thing, if it looks good use it. When I used the Oak I had to switch stores, one was terrible and the other was nice looking sheets. Once they told me i couldn't pick through the sheets to get undamaged corners and edges. I told him get the Mgr to discount the $50 sheet to make up for waste to get a good edge, he said just pick what you want. It's hard enough to pay that price for plywood, I didn't want to take a beat up sheet.

I thought you were talking 3/4, It's crazy to use anything less for any speaker, just to weak and flexible.

funny my Lowes knows me by name. I am up there so often, they tell me if I was on the pay role, I would make more then the rest of employees there. My lowes never seems to mind me digging through anything to find the best product. Glad you were able to find yours, sucks you had to go through 2 different stores.

But first need to get the garage cleaned out

I can understand THAT problem. I have a 12x24 barn/storage building that is so stuffed that I can barely move in it. I need to move everything OUT before I can get shelves built to organize it.

Bruce