Toying with the idea of uprading to the THX Ultra2 speakers. Placement and audio equipment questions

plissken99

At the moment I'm in college and when I get out I should have a 50k a year job with few bills, and I'm a professional bachelor. We're planning an addition to our house to build the perfect theater room, and I want to build it with the THX Ultra2 speakers in mind. It seems to be the only system thats an upgrade to my current set up lol. One problem I can see right off, I also want to upgrade to a 200in hi power screen(8.2ft tall), which is not acoustically transparent obviously, and based even on a 10ft ceiling, the center channel would basically be on the floor(angled up I suppose). Is that ok placement for it? Afterall when dropping 13k on a set of speakers, I want it perfect. If need be I could scale back to a 160in screen(6.5ft tall), but the family has their hearts on 200in lol.

Ok thats placement, on the audio component side... Currently I have the Emotiva XPA-5, 200wpc, but I see the Ultra2 speakers are rated for 150w max continious. Will the Emotiva be too much and I should consider amps with less wattage? Or will it be ok?

Sounds like your gonna have one heck of a theater room.

Dont worry about the amp having more power than the speakers need. More power is good. It's driving an amp with too little power that usually damages the speakers.

Have fun.

I am currently running the the THX Ultra2 speakers ,actually I am running 5 of the KL650's and 2 KS525's with 2 XPA5's and I think you will be extremely happy with that setup. As far as placement goes Youthman's comments are dead on.

If you only have one row of seats, putting the center channel on the floor angled up is fine. If you have more than one row, the front row might block sound to the back row. Regardless, it will be a great system

I'll further that by saying that if the bottom of the screen is close to the floor, you will need to have stadium style seating. You might want to think acoustically transparent screen, and putting 3 LaScalas and and a couple Danley DTS-10s behind it. That would put Ultra 2 to shame.

[:)]

I can't help but wonder why you said "we're" planning in your original statement. [;)]

From everything I've read the actual K-Horns(which the Lascala's basically are in that family) aren't that highly recommended for pure movie viewing, where the Ultra2 speakers are specifically designed with movies in mind(from what I've read their almost the undisputed champ of home theater). I would love an acoustically transparent screen, however they only have a gain of 1.2, which limits the screen size to 133in max, unless you have a light cannon projector. I'm pretty married to the JVC projectors for the magnificent black levels, their nice in brightness, but not light cannons by any means. It is possible I could make a larger riser for my second row, but still the second row is unoccupied 90% of the time.

The "we're" as in me, myself and a contractor lol.

P.S... Now you've got me thinking. What about K-Horns for mains and a Lascala for the center(with a 160in screen, it would JUST fit), and my RF-7's as surrounds? :D Though again from what I've read the Ultra2 speakers should be about as good as it gets for movies. Pure music listening in the theater room is rare, mostly it's Blu Ray concerts. May as well consider them, as this is a large room(20ft by 27ft)

The thx ultra package can be had from a dealer like acoustic sound design or maybe a local for WAAAAY less than 13k price tag it has. I have heard the ultra package and to me it was not what I thougt it would be. I was thinking as it was warming up of how to get rid of mine to acquire the ultra cause that WAS my dream theater. But now I am much happier with what I have. If I were gonna do a strictly movie only viewing room and knew I would not listen to music in there I would look at the jtr triple 8's. they look bad ***. Are a bit cheaper retail and from everything I've read all guys that owned the thx setup and heard the JTR's traded their stuff in immediately. That speaks to me! I've pondered the thought of getting rid of my large setup to move to the JTR's but I really can't do that till I know where my permanent home will be. Currently my large home theater is sitting in my basement in boxes collecting a ridiculous amount of dust.

From everything I've read the actual K-Horns(which the Lascala's basically are in that family) aren't that highly recommended for pure movie viewing, where the Ultra2 speakers are specifically designed with movies in mind(from what I've read their almost the undisputed champ of home theater). ...

LaScalas are in the Heritage family, but they are quite different that KHorns. Whereas, a Khorn needs corners to do its work, and digs much deeper, the LaScala is completely directional and does not need corners. Size does matter, and a LaScala will slay an Ultra2 in a home theater if you have the room. All I can say is that voices sound real with LaScalas. I don't know how many times I turned around to see who was talking to me and it was coming from a LaScala. Also, even though I am more hard of hearing now, I am hearing lyrics of songs I never knew the lyrics to.

I am not knocking Ultra2's, but I will stand by my statement that the LaScala is better for HT if you have the space.

This is our forum member tragusa3's front 3 and dual danley dst-10's.

DSC_4496.jpg

I'm pretty sure he tried the Ultra2's in this room, and went up to LaScalas. I don't think his screen is quite 200 inches... Seems like 178 or something like that. Still huge!

I do have a plenty large enough space for any speakers I want, the corners can work for K-Horns as well as LaScalas. I have an appointment with a guy tomorrow to see his THX Ultra2 set up, I'm gonna bring Fellowship of the Ring and play the Mines of Moria sequence on it, and on mine before I head over there. I need to hear the LaScalas or K-Horns as well, maybe someone here in the DFW area would be kind enough to have me over. Andsince I have the space for either, would you recommend LaScala mains over K-Horn mains?

Also, the Heritage speakers have been around forever... if I came across a used set on Craigslist or whatever from the 80's, would they be as good as the new ones you get from dealers?

The Ultra2 system is definitely awesome, but if you can swing it, I would definitely consider some of the big boys - full horn loaded is where it's at:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/106420.aspx?PageIndex=1

Btw, I'm talking strictly from a sound quality / finesse standpoint - though I suppose the ability to go way crazy loud can be fun too.

The khorn is my favorite speaker from an engineering standpoint - the things PWK did with the equipment available at the time (or complete lack thereof) is testament to his acoustical genious. However, it's simply not my favorite sounding speaker (insert a million caveats since this is a hot topic on the forum). The Jubilee was PWK's improvement to the khorn - originally intended to be named the Khorn II, but he gave it an entirely new name because it was that much better. I would absolutely be satisfied with the Jubilee for my mains - there's just something about the sound from that K402 tweeter that is absolutely pristine - and you're not going to get that from any exponential horn. Anyways, the Jubilee never made it into the home audio market, but it's been kept alive in the pro cinema in an effort to keep PWK's legacy going.

Anyways, I would just recommend to give the various speakers a good solid listen and make the decision for yourself.

And btw, don't feel iced on the Ultra2 system because it definitely will bring years of enjoyment. I might even suggest it over the Khorn depending on the specifics of your application. This speaker thing quickly becomes an obsession so I just had to throw out the Jubilee if you have the space.

Also, I prefer the sound of the Lascala II + THX Ultra 2 subs over the khorn - and you're gonna need the subwoofage anyway. Lascala LF with a K510 for the tweeter (little brother to the K402) sounds wicked sweet too (with the subs of course). If you go that route, you gotta set the Ultra2 subs an extra 3ft away in the receiver setup to account for the phasing between the two. At least I think it was 3ft - it was a long time ago when I did that measurement.

How do the Jubilees compare to the K-Horns?

When I first heard the Jubilee (mono speaker in the listening lab at Klipsch during a public (forum members) open house) my mouth dropped open. He played the intro of the Eagles Hotel California (live). During the first maybe 30 seconds, the music played and then they nailed that drum. The room with a single speaker just pressurized and the scale / clarity of sound.... I stood there and thought to myself "THAT is the sound I've been after all these years"

When I came home from that trip, I put my Khorns for sale and (literally) they were gone by that weekend with my order for Jubilee's placed. I have not missed my Khorns for .30438923054823048 nano-seconds since. (I rounded up to minimize decimal places [;)])

So, to answer your question more blunt.... they don't. They do however require more funds as you can buy used Khorns/LaScalas for much less and have an absolutely killer system.

If I were you I'd go one of two ways...

Start buying LaScala cabinets, working or not. Work to accumulate enough cabinets where you can use/keep the bass bin (only), sell the other horns and make a decision between the Klipsch K510 or the huge Klipsch K402 horns (a pair which by the way, are on sale on the forum in the Garage Sale section). Add a couple of those Danley DTS-10 subs.

Using "JubeScalas" is probably the most cost effective value for your dollar. You can buy maybe three pair of LaScalas in good shape for less than a single pair of Jubilee's?

If you can work the budget, a trio of Jubilee's across the front would be astounding. I'd still consider putting LaScalas for the rears

As a disclaimer, the above is exactly what I'm working on piecing together but I'm using only two Jubilee's. I'll have a pair of Jubilee's in the corners, a JubeScala for the center however, I don't yet know if I'll use the 510 or 402 horn. I'm using LaScalas for rears, buried in my wall.

How do the Jubilees compare to the K-Horns?

I am planning a listening session on 12 Jan. (Saturday next) if you want to hear Jubs integrated into a 5.2 Heritage HT...

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/150370/1884909.aspx#1884909

Chris

...and couldn't make it before 1:30. Would it be possible to come over then?

No problem. Noon is just when I open the house to visitors.

Where do you even get them?

roy.delgado@klipsch.com...just contact this guy.

And what would the cost be?

Less than the cost of Khorns from Klipsch, depending on desired options. We can discuss this more on the 12th.

Chris

I'm the fella Mustang Guy was referring to. Yes, I've been down the path you're on. Except, I was blinded so much by the marketing hype that I didn't listen to these fine men when they tried to save me some money. :)

The Ultra2 system will at best be a sideways move from your current RF7's. I think the main source of my disappointment was the size of my room (similar to yours). Remember, that system was designed for rooms of 3000cf and smaller.

I got into used LaScalas about 3 years ago and it was evident in the first few seconds that it was the right change for me. Any of the big horns will be the ticket!

Don't underestimate the base requirements to not only keep up with these big horns, but fill the large volume of space you have. I learned that the hard way too. ;)