Amplifier to pair with my Pioneer

Guest Teresa Wright

Guest Teresa Wright

Hello all, Happy New Year!!! Been lurking quite a bit and pondering getting an amplifier. Just wanting some suggestions on what to pair with my 1120??

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year back to you.

I will shamelessly use this opportunity to pitch 2 amps I am about to put for sale here on the forum. [:$]

Adcom GFA-6000-------5-channel 100w/ch fronts & center, 60w/ch surrounds-----$300.00 shipped

Sunfire Cinema Grand------5 channel 200w/ch-----$600.00 shipped

PM me for details unless I can get the ad and photos up today.

Both in very good condition.

Bill

Guest Teresa Wright

Well, the speakers I currently have are RF-62ii, RC-52, RB-51, and RW-10D. Everything sounds fine, just wondering if I can make it better.

A seperate amp will only make things sound better once you push your system to levels that the avr's amp section runs out of steam. At lower volumes, you won't notice a difference. At reference level or close, you'll see a marked improvement in almost all cases over just using an avr.

Yamaha vintage amps pair nice with Klipsch. I used a Yamaha M 70 (200/400 watts/ch) to start with for my RF 7's. Great stereo sound and nice for HT. These amp are dead quiet: you can hear a pin drop on the floor between songs. With some avr's, you may not need a five channel amp. The avr can handle the center and surround channels. I found the biggest advantage of amps to my smaller speakers since they take more power to achieve high spl as the RF 7's. I used the M 70 on my Front Height speakers currently. I have heard newer amps, and feel that I am not missing anything with my vintage amps.

Guest Teresa Wright

I've been thinking about maybe just a 2-channel amp, to hopefully enhance my towers for music. Sound is fine for movies/tv I tend to turn it up a bit when I listen to music. So, not sure what to get?? Still open to suggestions, but tell me if I'm wrong, but don't think I need a 5ch amp. My room is fairly small, or I would have bigger speakers now [:D]

Thanks again everybody!

The most simple way for you to add power would be so sell your current receiver and pick up one of Pioneer's Elite receivers. I had a Pioneer 1120 and replaced it with a Pioneer SC-35 with 140 watt I.C.E. amps and I can tell you that the difference was night and day. The regular Pioneer receivers are notorious for performing poorly on the bench tests with all channels driven (25 watts I think?). The Elite receivers on the other hand, perform very well.

With all that said, I am still planning on adding an Emotiva XPA-5 or two XPA-3's down the road. There is no stopping the upgrade bug once it has bitten you...

I think pairing an amp with an avr is a smart way to go. Preamps become outdated quickly, but a good amp will last a long time. I have an extra Yamaha M 70 in great shape that would be perfect for your system. Even if you brought larger speakers down the road the amp would still be good. The amp I am talking about was recondition this past march. I had that done to make sure it was back at original factory specs and to make sure it would perform for many more years. These amps are simple plug and play, no special adjustment are needed.

Guest Teresa Wright

Well, I guess 300-400 max. I don't need top of the line, but would love a good quality/sounding amp. Not opposed to used, cuz I could probably get a better quality amp. There is only 1 real "stereo" store in town, besides Best Buy, so I may go out today and look around. I'm not in a huge rush, just been pondering!!??

Guest Teresa Wright

Ok, so went to the only "Hi-Fi" shop in town yesterday. I found one amp, the Parasound hca-750a. Does anyone have any info/experience with this paired with a pioneer?? I am also considering Emotiva. Also, this is an open box item, he's asking $260. Does this sound like a good price?? Or the UPA-200 for $299???