Newbie looking for surround sound system

bobc910

I am looking into a surround sound system that can
double as home audio system. The only
two items I already have are TV and Blu-Ray player. I am thinking of 2 RF-62 II floorstanding
speakers, 1 RC-62 center channel speaker, 2 RS-52 II surround speakers, and 1
SW-112 subwoofer. I have a max budget of
$4,500. Please help point me in the
right direction. Thanks.

Bobc910

Bobc910,

Welcome to the forum.

The only
two items I already have are TV and Blu-Ray player. I am thinking of 2 RF-62 II floorstanding
speakers, 1 RC-62 center channel speaker, 2 RS-52 II surround speakers, and 1
SW-112 subwoofer. I have a max budget of
$4,500.

Is that an additional budget of $4500.00 or total including BD player and TV?

Also, if you don't object to quality used gear, you will get much more bang for your buck.

Please help point me in the
right direction.

Where are you located?

Bill

$4,500 will be for the surround sound system (speakers, processors, amp, and so). I am in Pasadena, CA.

Here is an excellent 5-channel amp.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/3526373207.html

Great price on a quality new(factory refurbished) preamp/processor.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV7005/Marantz-AV7005-Networking-AV-Preamp/Processor/1.html

That leaves you with $2800.00 for fronts, center, surrounds, and subwoofer.

Bill

Welcome Bob.

That's a pretty nice budget to work with.

May I suggest Anthem MRX500 for the surround unit. 7.1 with 100wpc. The cherry on top is the ARC speaker calibration software. I use win7 laptop to calibrate the room. Unit is $1500. It sounds great playing music. Movies are pretty awesome too. You can set it up for music separately from movies. There is more than enough power to run the Klipsch speakers you're looking at. I am currently running Cornwalls front and back with heresy for center. Energy 10.3 for sub. My home theater has never sounded better. Being a pre-pro, you can run a separate multi-channel amp later on. That 100wpc amp sounds great on Klipsch. It does not have all the bells and whistles but what it has is great sound. My Anthem, Klipsch Heritage speakers and Oppo 93 DVD player ran around $3300.

I found several dealers in the LA and SFV areas that have it set up but I eventually bought mine in Visalia, just north of me. Anthem service is great. They typically respond within a work day. There usually are a lot of Klipsch speakers on Craigslist in LA. Also multi-channel amps.

Good luck.

iwander

Welcome Bob.

That's a pretty nice budget to work with.

May I suggest Anthem MRX500 for the surround unit. 7.1 with 100wpc. The cherry on top is the ARC speaker calibration software. I use win7 laptop to calibrate the room. Unit is $1500. It sounds great playing music. Movies are pretty awesome too. You can set it up for music separately from movies. There is more than enough power to run the Klipsch speakers you're looking at. I am currently running Cornwalls front and back with heresy for center. Energy 10.3 for sub. My home theater has never sounded better. Being a pre-pro, you can run a separate multi-channel amp later on. That 100wpc amp sounds great on Klipsch. It does not have all the bells and whistles but what it has is great sound. My Anthem, Klipsch Heritage speakers and Oppo 93 DVD player ran around $3300.

I found several dealers in the LA and SFV areas that have it set up but I eventually bought mine in Visalia, just north of me. Anthem service is great. They typically respond within a work day. There usually are a lot of Klipsch speakers on Craigslist in LA. Also multi-channel amps.

Good luck.

iwander

There is a user on here selling an anthem and said they were horrible to work with if they had issues.

Hmm If I had your budget I would go with a denon 4311 refurb from accesories 4 less. 1149$ rf-62ii from acoustic sound design. Should be around 775$ rc-62ii from them as we'll for 400$ rs-52ii's for 625$ That leaves you 1550$ for wires and a sub. Now lots of sub options. I am a fan of svs. You could do a single pb-12 plus. Or you could do dual pb-12nsd. Dual with give you a more even output but the pb-12 plus is a better sub. Or you get a hsu Vtf-15h. Or a rythmik as well. All good companies. Hsu is located in Orange County and you can go hear their stuff there which would be nice with a Internet direct company. I would prolly go for dual pb-12nsd's though myself unless you have to have the nicer black ash finish. Then go with the pb-12 plus. Svs is a stellar company

Scrappydue,

Do you have the link to that Anthem user? Which model? What kind of issues? The only issue I've had was with the internet radio. That was resolved when Vtuner updated their site.

I've had nothing but great sound from my MRX500. I had a Denon 3801 and a Marantz 1601 before but the MRX took the sound quality beyond what I was expecting. Calibrating the ARC software does take some time and effort but well worth it. Minor adjustments can be made easily and then reinstalled in the receiver.

Bob. I listened to the Anthems at a place in Woodland Hills and also in Santa Monica. I don't remember a dealer near Pasadena. The place in Visalia did have them hooked up to Klipsch HT speakers and that pretty much sold it for me. There are three MRX models. Mine is the middle one.

Iwander

I don't know, but if it were me I'd definitely aim farther up the reference line. I love my 62s, don't get me wrong, but with that budget I'd shoot for a quality used set of RF-63or 83 and a RC-64 center and a used set of either RS-52s or 62s. Or, I'd try to find a used pair of RF-7s with an RC-7 and RS-7s. For around $2500, I'd bet you could put something like that together. You can get a used Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA-5 for around $1000. That'd leave a fair budget for a sub as well. So, I'd be patient and put together the nicer used system.

Like I said, the 62s are nice speakers, but the 2 systems I mentioned above would definitely be much better... Guess that might just be my opinion, but unless I was buying a RF-7ii or better system, I wouldn't buy them new. You can get far more for your money buying used.

I might be able to get my hands on a pair of almost new RF-7 floorstanding speakers. What do you guys think is a fair price for both seller and buyer?

Depends on which generation they are. The older ones I'd say anywhere in the 1k-1200 range, the newer 7II's I'd say around 1500-1600. That's about half off of the original price for both. The newer ones will be harder to find for that price, cause, well, they're newer. The older ones can be equally as hard to find but for some of the same reasons, price. I agree 100% in the assertion made earlier that used is the way to go if you're comfortable with it. I personally wouldn't even consider the RF62's as I feel that you'll want to upgrade way sooner than later and then will have to sell off or be stuck with them if/when you do. Buy better gear slowly, in pieces, over time rather then more gear right now because you can afford it all, but with compromise. You'll thank yourself later. Start with the receiver and towers. Then center. Then sub. Then surrounds. Then an amp if you want more headroom. If after all of that it still needs tweaking, try: acoustic panels, rugs, drapes, better wiring, and a sprinkle of pixie dust. Best of luck! AND Welcome to the forum :)