power conditioners

gary p

Looked at panamax/ furman. At what point am I wasting money ? Willing to go 500 + or - some with good reason. Don't have any ground loop problem or hum. Just want meters so I know how much power I'm drawing. Need the 2 high power plugs for sure. Suggestions ?

I've always used a power conditioner in the top space of a pa rack. Beyond surge protection and convenience they didn't do much, in that price range, except it was nice to see how many volts were coming in the elec service.

have often wondered, but never have used one at home. My take on whether one is helpful or needed would depended on the quality of the elec service you already receive. If your service is already workable, one would have to ask what is being accomplished by further investment.

1. is the electrical environment such that the gear needs protection that only this power conditioner provides?

2. will it improve the quality of my sound?

that's just a sort of philosophical take. not a tech type at all and am no help there.

I'm using a couple of APC H15's in different systems at home and along with being a big surge protector I do like the automatic voltage regulation (AVR) for the mere sake of longevity of the equipment. Not just in case a lightning storm comes near or transformer blows in the neighborhood creating a caskade of outages and switching.

I highly recommend my personal favorite the Belkin PF-60, I looked at nearly every major model of power conditioner and tried a few and the PF-60 was my favorite for many reasons. It has the features I want and more than most other models, it has great filtering, great protection, better isolation, great looks and most of all my system sounds its best when connected through the PF-60.

I have compared it to power conditioners costing many times its price and always prefered the PF-60. The PF-60 first retailed at around $799 msrp then dropped to $599 msrp and you can usually find it at around $200, sometimes there are great sales at buy.com for as low as around $135 or so. In my oppinion it is one of the best bargains in power conditioners and nothing even compares to its performance that's under a $1,000.

Here's a pic of mine under my amps.

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-Theater-Console-Black/dp/B001541R5W

Thanks for your quick responses. I'm sure more will follow. The link to the Belkin was very helpful. Seems like 200 bucks is all I need to spend.I also saw the alert on the monster 3600. Why wouldn't u plug amp and sub into high power plugs. What I want to know is how much power they are drawing when listening to music.

Why wouldn't u plug amp and sub into high power plugs.

Some power conditioners will limit the peaks of high power amps and subwoofers plugged into them, however a good power conditioner will not. I have both my amps an Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5 plugged into the high current outlets on my PF-60 there is no limiting at all. Everything in my system is plugged into my PF-60 except my subwoofer and that is only because my amps are using its two high current outlets and there is not one left for the sub.

I have tried out a lot of power conditioners and some do limit and have harsh affects on sound quality, I prefer my system plugged into my PF-60 and feel it sounds its best using it.

Personally after doing extensive research on power conditioners before I bought my PF-60 I am extremely happy with it and feel it was the very best choice.

Here is a link to a review and spec and more info on the PF-60. Note this is an old review from when the PF-60 first came out, there have been a couple changes made to it since, (they got rid of the phone/network protection, went from 4 to 3 coaxial cable protectors, went from a 12 foot to a 10 foot power cord and no longer include other cables or rack mounts)

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1164306802&read&3&4&

Thanks again. I'm sold on the Belkin. I'm sure your xpa s are drawing as much or more power then my outlaw. That is exactly what I wanted to know. If it doesn't limit your system mine should be fine. You've been a great help and saved me some money. I was gonna spend twice as much on something that probably wasn't any better. This forum is great.

So....about power conditioning.

I have some power issues and I think the a AVR will be helpful. I picked up a Tripp Lite lc-1800 for next to nothing. I have a Furman PL Plus Series II (actually two of them). I wanted to use one Furman for power amps, to turn on and off. I wanted to use the other furman for the rest of the components (OPPO, pre/pro what not). I was wondering the thoughts.

Should I plug both furmans into the AVR?

Should I only use the AVR with everything except the amps? If thats the case, should I plug the furman into the AVR or the AVR into the furman.

I have my thoughts but was just looking for some other opinions.