La Scala Owners....Ever Listened To Them Upside Down?

middlecreekguy

Hey guys!

I was on youtube tonight listening and watching The Replacements. Great band. Right? Anyway, I was watching the "Bastards Of Young" video and it gave me an idea that I wondered if anyone else has tried with their La Scalas. This was common place back in the day with bookshelf speakers but I'd never ever thought of trying it with a La Scala...or anyother Klipsch for that matter.

BTW....long time no see.

Here's that video. It was a slap in your face at the whole MTV music video industry.

JBL 4311 studio monitor wannabees.

They are mounted in the sofit of a studio with the tweeters down to be closer to ear level.

I have mounted the LaScala near the ceiling in club installs before.

They sound good hanging upside down in the corners near the ceiling and angled down a bit

You'll be fine if you listen with your head on the floor!

But seriously...a lot of studio monitors have their LF above the HF section. It makes sense to point the horns at your ears since they are more directional than the low end. Sound reinforcement cabinets often have the ability to fly either way up for the same reason. A common question is "horns up or horns down?" But never "horns on the floor" UNLESS you're making measurements and want to eliminate reflections. Which is a whole 'nother subject.

But let's say you hang your LS's from the ceiling with chains. The horns would sound pretty good in the sweet spot but then you'd be decoupling the low end from the floor and would probably notice the low end disappearing.

Good replies and information gentlement. But what I am digging for here is this. Has anyone in their listening room turned them bottom side up and gave them a listen?

My point being, some rooms (maybe) could benifit from this.

For instance....a room that is too small for that big beautiful mid-horn.

I think that you have been given very good responses. If you must you can turn yours (LaScala's) over and listen for a while then perhaps you will know for yourself. It might be easier if you dangle your head over the front edge of the couch and place your head on the floor. That should more or less replicate the same arrangement sound wise with no lifting envolved. I would however do this when you are alone in the house. Best regards Moray James.

"what low end?"

Exactly.

In the club installs there were subs on the floor, in the corners. One club had a dance floor four foot below grade, a solid concrete corner. Best bass I ever heard out of a Klipschorn bottom, the LaScalas were crossed at 100hz.

Upside down? No. Out of curiosity and before I sold our k-horns, I did take off and take apart the k-horn top section and and put it upside down on top of ur La Scalas. It created a sort of MTTM variation on the more common MTM arrangement. The K-horn mid and high sections were wired in parallel with those of the La Scala, which obviously brought about a need to make some small changes in the crossover. The change in perceived sound was one of even greater clarity and air -- and wasn't subtle. I wasn't aware of any cancellation or comb filtering effects, just a really cool sense of immediacy and presence. I honestly wouldn't care what response plots might look like; it sounded great to me. I also tried it with just a single tweeter, which is how a more conventional MTM is done, but I preferred the former, dual-tweeter combination. I saved the painted wooden mid-horn supports I made for this setup for the time I can invest in just the horns and drivers to recreate It. It made for a pretty large and room-dominating pair of speakers, but looked as cool as it sounded good! Crazy, too, probably.......