OPPO BDP-105 Ordered

TasDom

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those A/B pics are pretty impressive. I can't A/B since I sold and shipped the LG590 before I got the Oppo. Although the LG was a great player, the Oppo does have much more of the wow effect and takes video to a whole new level. The audio portion is what has me equally excited!

I have had the same experience with my OPPO BDP-83 vs my fat boy 60 gig PS3 . My OPPO for whatever reason won't play some discs . It's rare but it does happen and when it does the PS3 comes through every time . The most recent was the new Total Recall . It looked really sharp on the OPPO but the audio was dropping in and out pretty much unwatchable . Popped the disc into the PS3 and no problems although the picture and audio was noticeably softer .

Looking forward to getting the 105 myself after I recuperate from the chunk that Uncle Sam is going to take out of @ss come tax time .

One question though , now that the 105 has the vents on top of the chassis how hot does it get ?

I have had the same experience with my OPPO BDP-83 vs my fat boy 60 gig PS3 . My OPPO for whatever reason won't play some discs . It's rare but it does happen and when it does the PS3 comes through every time . The most recent was the new Total Recall . It looked really sharp on the OPPO but the audio was dropping in and out pretty much unwatchable . Popped the disc into the PS3 and no problems although the picture and audio was noticeably softer .

That's kind of funny. I experienced the same thing on my former player with that same movie. I reset the chapter and it was fine. Turns out there is a known problem with some of the Total Recall disc. (google total recall disc problem)

One question though , now that the 105 has the vents on top of the chassis how hot does it get ?

The hardest I've pushed it so far was on Saturday. About 8 hours of continous BR's and it was barely warm to the touch.I just hooked up my pc via usb to the usb dac (MOG is awesome btw)but I doubt that would create more heat than the disc player.

That's kind of funny. I experienced the same thing on my former player with that same movie. I reset the chapter and it was fine. Turns out there is a known problem with some of the Total Recall disc. (google total recall disc problem)

I wasn't aware of issues with that disc . But I did reset chapter along with stopping and starting over again . The dropouts would happen in different places . That's not the only disc or only problem it's had . 99% of the time it works just fine it just doesn't like some discs .

The hardest I've pushed it so far was on Saturday. About 8 hours of continous BR's and it was barely warm to the touch.I just hooked up my pc via usb to the usb dac (MOG is awesome btw)but I doubt that would create more heat than the disc player.

Would you be comfortable placing another component on top of it ?

Would you be comfortable placing another component on top of it ?

If the legs of the component were tall enough to allow adequate ventilation I would. Mine sits inside a media console so I chose not to stack my STB on top of it. The "new" novelty feeling has some weight on that decision tho.

I wish I could get a Oppo to replace my old sony BD player.

You can.

Time to purge.

70" Sharp LED Aquos Quattron 3D 70C8470
Denon 4311CI
Emotiva UMC-1 (Pre/Pro) (SOLD)
Emotiva XPA-2 (Amplifier)
Emotiva XPA-5 (Amplifier)
Klipsch RF- 83 Cherry (Front)
Klipsch RC- 64 Cherry (Center)
Klipsch RS- 62 Black (Side Surround)
Klipsch RF- 63 Cherry (Rear Surround)
SVS PB-13 Ultra Sledge Amplifier American Cherry
SVS PB-13 Ultra Sledge Amplifier American Cherry
SVS PB-13 Ultra Bash Amplifier Rosenut (Should sell it)
Sony S550 Blu-ray Player
2- XBOX 360 250gig (gaming) Vet75 Stingray
PS3 Blu-ray 80gig (movies) Vet75 Stingray
Wii (for the kids that never use it)
Directv HD dvr x 3
Klipsch Sub 12 (not used, should sell it also)
Harmony One remote

You just soved that problem.[:D]

Bill

I love my 105. For everthing this box can do it is a STEAL at its price. I bought it for HT, but I have been VERY impressed with 2 CH listening too. Regular Redbook CDs sound awesone. It can stream media right off my home file server. The sound it superb.

You also can use it for offboard Video and Audio processing as it has HDMI, Toslink, SPDIF and USB inputs. Since I can stream right off my server, I have not had a reason to use the imputs yet. The 105 can make youtube vids look like BluRay.

Congrats on your purchase. I LOVE MY 10. You will too.

JM