La Scalas for sale

Boomzilla

I've a pair of mid 1980s La Scalas WITH a brand new set of Bob Crites' AL-3 crossovers (worth $365 plus shipping by themselves). I'd want $1,000 cash plus shipping or best offer. These cabinets were in poor condition, so they have been covered in oak vinyl flooring planks. The front grille is double-knit polyester over a secured (and removable) frame. All drivers are original and work perfectly. The crossovers, as mentioned are new. For the purchase price, you ALSO get a spare pair of K-77 tweeters in working condition! The spare K-77s have the round Alinco magnets. You could buy these speakers, sell the parts on eBay, and make a profit! Local pickup is acceptable, but you may not audition them because my wife does not care to have strangers in our house. Photos below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My goodness those are beautiful. Absolutely drool worthy. My Cornwalls are a thousand miles away from you so I am unfortunately out of the running. Did you make those grills or are they from Klipsch originally? I have never seen those. Also, what type of wood veneer are they?

Good luck with your trade but as gorgeous as those are I doubt it will take long.

Thanks for the compliment -

Well, funny you should ask... When I got these puppies they'd been used by a band, had casters on them, and looked like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since I didn't have the time or skill to re-veneer them or to rebuild them, I covered them with oak vinyl flooring. I then wanted them up a bit since I'm tall. I figured any riser should need to be proportional to the box size so I used 2x4 lumber for the risers (also covered in oak flooring). Finally, I had to do something with the front since the "nose cone" of the speakers looked rough. I settled on grilles from parts-express.com and covered them in double-knit polyester to match my sofas. The original badges were sprayed silver & attached to the top of the grilles.

It doesn't stand up to very close inspection, but from a foot or two away, it looks really good!

Here's one of the speakers sans grille:

Posted Image

Local pickup is acceptable, but you may not audition them because my wife does not care to have strangers in our house.

Is it acceptable to your wife for us to know which local city these speakers are in, if one was interested in purchasing them? If not, perhaps the state?

Local pickup is acceptable, but you may not audition them because my wife does not care to have strangers in our house.

Is it acceptable to your wife for us to know which local city these speakers are in, if one was interested in purchasing them? If not, perhaps the state?

Baton Rouge LA. comes to mind for some reason?????

I must have missed that secret code. Oh well, I moved 1200 miles away from Lafayette LA about 25 years ago.

I must have missed that secret code. Oh well, I moved 1200 miles away from Lafayette LA about 25 years ago.

No secret code, just a mind that remembers random things. Normally when someone posts that's within a couple hours radius of me, it sticks in my memory for some reason. I could have just as easily guessed wrong.

Since I'd rather NOT pack & freight them, it looks like CraigsList or a garage sale is the most likely option. On the other hand, I might do better to sell the individual parts on eBay and sell just the cabinets with woofers locally. The parts I could sell would include:

• A pair of K-77 tweeters with the rectangular magnets ($100 on eBay?)
  • The large midrange horns with drivers ($350 to $400 on eBay?)
  • The Bob Crites AL-3 crossovers ($300 on eBay?)
  • The spare pair of K-77 tweeters with round, alinco magnets ($100 on eBay?)

If I add properly, that is about $850 from the speakers, and I could sell the cabinets with woofers for another $50 locally. What do youse guys recommend? Part them out or hold out for a local buyer?

Thanks - Boomzilla

Since I'd rather NOT pack & freight them, it looks like CraigsList or a garage sale is the most likely option. On the other hand, I might do better to sell the individual parts on eBay and sell just the cabinets with woofers locally. The parts I could sell would include:

• A pair of K-77 tweeters with the rectangular magnets ($100 on eBay?)
  • The large midrange horns with drivers ($350 to $400 on eBay?)
  • The Bob Crites AL-3 crossovers ($300 on eBay?)
  • The spare pair of K-77 tweeters with round, alinco magnets ($100 on eBay?)

If I add properly, that is about $850 from the speakers, and I could sell the cabinets with woofers for another $50 locally. What do youse guys recommend? Part them out or hold out for a local buyer?

Thanks - Boomzilla

I wouldn't bother parting them out. List them on CL for $1,000. Take a good picture of the AL-3 network. That's important, as it is a favorite of many. You should move them pretty quickly.