The Life and Times of my Oppo BDP-105

Mongo171

After doing research on the 103 and 105 and reading what the owners of both had to say, I decided to order the 105 on Monday. Both are definitely great units. One won't be dissapointed with either. The major difference between the 2 is in the audio section. I didn't want to get the 103 and think "what am I missing that the 105 provides."

So the journey has begun. My 105 has been picked up at the Mountain View site of Oppo and brought to the FedEx facility in San Jose. I picked regular shipping. I guess that will be the "slow boat" option of delivery methods.

The major difference between the 2 is in the audio section. I didn't want to get the 103 and think "what am I missing that the 105 provides."

Nice Mongo! Is there a new pre/pro / avr in the near future?

I've been drooling over the XMC-1. I'm going to take a look today at the ATI Pre/Pros to see if they are in the same league. If not, I'm going to get that upgrade card from themrclean and get the XMC-1.

Was just curious after I looked at your Sony's inputs and noticed no HDMI or MC inputs.

The XMC-1 will be nice but a very long wait still. Even once it comes to fruition, the backlog of servicing the people on the waiting list will be tremendous.

I bought my Sony Pre/Pro back in 1999. It's a great unit, but doesn't have the fancy stuff on it that Pre/Pros or AVR's have on them these days. I'm finally financially able to upgrade/update my setup. Hence, the little vacation I just took and the 105.

I think the XMC-1 and The Oppo BDP-105 would go fantastic together. From what's been said about the XMC-1, the analog section has been "hot-rodded". If the XMC-1 ever comes out and you go for it, make sure to let us know your thoughts! My only concern would be to take full advantage of the 105, you'd need to use the analog outs, which means you'd be losing out on the supposedly very good room corrections the XMC-1 has. Not sure if it's the 103 or 105, but one of them is definitely going to be a part of my near future as well.

I will be ordering the XMC-1 as soon as it comes out. Can't wait!

I can't wait, either. Youthman, when he talked to the reps last year at the GTG and posted the pics that whetted my appetite, said that when the XMC-1 first comes out, it will be without TACT. Is that the Emotiva room correction? I guess with them so late to the party, it will be included from the outset of them shipping.

EDIT: My 105 is now in Sacramento with a delivery date of 3/12.

I think the XMC-1 and The Oppo BDP-105 would go fantastic together. From what's been said about the XMC-1, the analog section has been "hot-rodded". If the XMC-1 ever comes out and you go for it, make sure to let us know your thoughts! My only concern would be to take full advantage of the 105, you'd need to use the analog outs, which means you'd be losing out on the supposedly very good room corrections the XMC-1 has. Not sure if it's the 103 or 105, but one of them is definitely going to be a part of my near future as well.

Could you not use analog out for 2 channel and digital for HT ?

Could you not use analog out for 2 channel and digital for HT ?

That is the only area where the 105 is better than the 103. The video section is the same. It is the analog audio section that shines with the 105. The 105 uses 2 of the same DAC's for 7.1 and 2 ch.

This is for all of the 105 owners:

I have been reading the AVS thread on the 105. I started on Page 1 and got to Page 15. I quit after that with over 120 pages to go. The one question I do have is did they ever fix the lip sync problem? Last I read was that the 105 (and maybe the 103) had a 75ms delay in the audio versus the video. Was just wondering if they put out a firmware update for that.

Well you've read til 11/25/12 lol...lots of reading there to go. The latest firmware release was 1/2/13 so I would assume it'd been corrected. I haven't had any lip sync issues (yet)Then again I haven't ran any DVD's and I think that was where most of the problems were / are.

edit: Actually I did play the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" dvd and had no problems.

LOL...I'm DONE with reading! Seems like the people who got the 105 had some pretty expensive systems. Makes me want to go out and buy some $1K interconnects and $7K speaker cables

That is the latest firmware release so far. It doesn't mention the lip sync issue. Maybe is was resolved in a previous release. I'm glad you aren't having any problems with it. I will be playing lots of DVDs through it until I get my Bluray collection up. I've heard the Eagles disc is pretty good on multi-channel. I will have to pick it up.

Edit: Where is that Oppo dealer in town? Why didn't you tell me while I was there! lol

Makes me want to go out and buy some $1K interconnects and $7K speaker cables

I bought 6 RCA cables from Monoprice but couldn't use them because they were all way too tight.(should of looked at the reviews) I ordered a multichannel (6 rca with techflex) from Bluejeans which has been the priciest cable I've ever bought. Actually it averaged out to about 15.00 per cable. Got it yesterday and been tweaking all day today[:)]

Edit: Where is that Oppo dealer in town? Why didn't you tell me while was there! lol

It's called Listen Up on Montgomery. Nice folks and I really wanted to buy from them but they had given the accessory pack away to replace a missing one and had to order another. Worked out good tho thru Amazon.

post-53536-1381983076791_thumb.jpg

I have been reading the AVS thread on the 105. I started on Page 1 and got to Page 15. I quit after that with over 120 pages to go. The one question I do have is did they ever fix the lip sync problem? Last I read was that the 105 (and maybe the 103) had a 75ms delay in the audio versus the video. Was just wondering if they put out a firmware update for that.

No, firmware update helped. Another ffirmware update to address Lipsync is due out week after next.

Got it yesterday and been tweaking all day todaySmile

Looks like a lot of good business going on back there. Mine's supposed to be here on Tuesday. But it left Grove City, OH this morning. Might have it on Monday! I just realized that I need to get a pair of RCA's for my setup. I'm going HDMI to the TV, optical to the Pre/Pro and RCA for 2 ch listening.

It's called Listen Up on Montgomery

I will definitely have to check that place out next time I am out there. Will be there next July 2014 for my son's bday and another grandbaby, who is due this July.

No, firmware update helped. Another ffirmware update to address Lipsync is due out week after next.

Thnx for the update. Like I said before, I gave up reading the AVS Forum after the first 15 pages.

optical to the Pre/Pro

I'm reading the User Manual. I guess I won't be using optical for audio to my Pre/Pro.

NOTE
x
Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby
TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the
coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track
will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please
use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 11) or
use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 18).
x
Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical
digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
x
Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio
discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or
optical digital audio output. To listen to DVD-
Audio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections