Room Color

HAmmer32261

Finally going to start building my home theater, the contractors start framing the 25x13 section of my

basement next tuesday, any suggestions on the color of the of paint i should use on the

walls and ceiling?? i was thinking a Spanish red for the walls and black ceiling to keep it

darker, but i'd like to hear what you guys think

thx John

My walls are "Cherokee rust red" and it wasn't on purpose but the boss lady liked it so that's what it became. Worked in my favor though because when the lights are off its dark enough to where the only thing I see is my LED on my sub, my monster power center, and the AVR lights.

• Moderators

I painted my ceiling Flat Black and the walls are Spanish Tile. As mentioned, the dark red walls and black ceiling totally disappear when the lights go out. I was very hesitant about painting my ceiling black but now, I'm totally glad I did. I also painted my air vent and return black as well.

Sometimes, my pics show the walls to be almost a bright red, when in reality, they are much darker as you can see better in the second photo.

spanish_tile.jpg

Room-Color1.jpg

Room-Color2.jpg

Color is a matter of taste. I remember building a house years ago for a woman, she wanted the house yellow and the stucco bands (I live in Miami where everything is concrete and block) orange. The house looked like a pumpkin. I thought it was hideous but she was paying for it. The best advice is to figure out what else you want to put in there. IS it just a theater room? Are you putting a bar, kitchen, gaming area? What color do you like for cabinets if you have a bar and have you decided on furniture. Make it so it all matches. Think about the finished product because now you can choose colors, or the add ons. Once it's painted it will effect your choice for any of the stuff I listed above.

Every color in out house is an opps from Sherwin williams. The wife found a black and red 3 panel painting of roses she loved when we first moved in and it hangs in our formal dining room. The theater( formal living room)is directly opposite and mirrors the room to a point we painted the walls grey and then we stretched black crush velvet on the top halls with a flat black trim and did an accent wall in red crush. Helps on the sound and reflects minimal light. Next project is to drape some more black crush from the ceiling and hang diffusers

post-55215-13819831165444_thumb.jpg